|Also known as||Taeyeon|
March 9, 1989 |
Jeonju, North Jeolla, South Korea
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, R&B, Dance-pop|
|Occupations||Singer, dancer, actress, promotional model, TV presenter|
|Years active||2007 – present|
|Associated acts||Girls' Generation, SM Town, TaeTiSeo, SM The Ballad|
|Website||SM Town (Girls' Generation)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Tae-yeon|
Kim Tae-yeon (born March 9, 1989) is a South Korean singer, TV presenter, dancer, actress and promotional model. She is a member of both the South Korean girl group Girls' Generation and the South Korean group S.M. The Ballad.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 3 Hosting career
- 4 Acting career
- 5 Incidents
- 6 Personal life
- 7 Discography
- 8 Filmography
- 9 Endorsements
- 10 Awards
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Tae-yeon was born in Jeonju, South Korea on March 9, 1989.
She started receiving her vocal training at the SM Academy, during her 2nd year in middle-school. Lee Solim, the SM Academy's president, remembered Taeyeon as the most memorable student, recalling his memories of his first encounter with Tae-yeon and her dad. Initially, Tae-yeon's dad did not plan for her to become an entertainer. However, he was persuaded, as Lee saw the potential and passion within her. During the following year, Tae-yeon and her dad traveled back and forth from Jeonju on every Sunday to take her lessons. Subsequently, she won the first place at the SM Youth Best Competition and officially received a contract from SM Entertainment in 2004.
In 2008, Tae-yeon graduated from Jeonju Art High School and was awarded with the school's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Over the life of her career, Tae-yeon has recorded several soundtracks for various television dramas, movies and other shows. Some of them are solo songs, others are in collaboration with her fellow Girls' Generation's bandmates or other SM artists.
In 2008, she sang "If" ("만약에") for the KBS2 drama Hong Gil Dong as well as "Can You Hear Me?" ("들리나요") for the Beethoven Virus soundtrack. "If" became popular[clarification needed] on various online charts, around the same time "Baby Baby" was released, while ""Can You Hear Me?" received the YEPP Popularity award at the 2008 Golden Disk Awards.
In 2009, she sang "It's Love" ("사랑인걸요") with Sunny for the drama Heading to the Ground, and the "S.E.O.U.L." song with some members of Super Junior and Girls' Generation to promote South Korea. She also sang the song for Caribbean Bay / "Cabi" with her fellow members Jessica, Seohyun, Tiffany and Sunny with 2PM.
In 2010, Tae-yeon released a duet song with her mentor The One, called "Like a Star". She also sang in the soundtrack of SBS's Athena: Goddess of War, with the song "I Love You". The song was released on 13 December 2010. The song was number 1 on some hit charts.
On March 28, 2012, Tae-yeon sang and released "Missing You Like Crazy", for the Korean Melodrama The King 2 Hearts starring Lee Seung-gi and Ha Ji- won, which took number 1 on all charts such as Melon, Naver, Mnet, Soribada, Bugs, Olleh and Daum, achieving an 'All Kill' on the online charts on the day of its release. Tae-yeon had previously declined the offer to sing the original soundtrack (OST) for the drama due to her busy overseas schedules with Girls' Generation, but later took it up as she had made a promise with PD Lee Pil-ho, the producer of "Beethoven's Virus", for which Tae-yeon also sang the OST. PD Lee Pil-ho also stated that when he had first received the synopsis for "The King 2 Hearts", he had made special requests to only Tae-yeon, stating that she was the only singer who could sing the OST for the drama. In 2012, Tae-yeon also sang an OST, "Closer", for the drama To the Beautiful You starring by fellow label-mates Choi Minho (from SHINee) and Sulli (from f(x)). She also sang "And One" for SBS's drama 'That Winter, The Wind Blows', which was released on 13 March 2013. The OST debuted No.1 on the Billboard Korea K-pop Hot 100 chart.
Girls' Generation is a South Korean girl group formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2007. The girl group consists of 9 members: Tae-yeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun.
Sub-unit group: Girls' Generation-TTS
Tae-yeon, Tiffany and Seohyun formed a subunit called Girls' Generation-TTS, releasing their first mini-album in 2012 entitled Twinkle. The subunit has a different musical direction and style concept from the nine-member SNSD.
SM The Ballad
Being featured in SM the Ballad Vol. 2, she has a duet with Jonghyun for the title track "Breath" as well as a solo song named "Set Me Free". As an initial promotion, Taeyeon performed both songs live at the SM The Ballad Joint Recital on February 12, 2014. Subsequently, "Breath" was the only track in the album that was being promoted through various music programs in Korea. It was also featured as a theme song for the mini-drama Mimi.
Tae-yeon became a DJ on MBC Radio's Good Friend Radio, which she co-hosted with Super Junior's Kangin until he left on April 19, 2009. She has received the nicknamed "DJ Taengoo". Tae-yeon ceased her DJ duties from April 26, 2010 onwards.
On February 22, 2012, she was a MC for First Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards together with Joo Younghoon and also for 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok which was held on April 7, 2012 together with Tiffany and Nichkhun. During the hosting of the "First Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards" show, Tae-yeon suffered a toe injury. Tae-yeon's toe nail had been disconnected from her toe and she was unable to receive the award with her members.
On May 7, 2010, she had her musical debut as the main female role in Midnight Sun, which is based on the Japanese novel "Taiyō no uta" by Aya Denkawa. The musical is about Kaoru Amane, a 17-year-old girl, who suffers from Xeroderma pigmentosum, which forbids her from going out during daytime. She keeps her hopes up by writing songs and singing every night at a train station. Tae-yeon received good press for her performance. Furthermore, she learned to play guitar for her musical performance.
Tae-yeon and her band mate Seohyun were cast as voice actors for the Korean dub of the 3D animation Despicable Me. Tae-yeon dubbed the voice of the character Margo, while Seohyun's role is Margo's younger sister Edith.
She was featured on MBC's reality-variety show We Got Married as part of the third rotation of couples; she was featured with comedian Jeong Hyeong-don. When this news was announced on January 7, 2009, it caused an uproar among South Korean netizens due to the 11-year age difference between the two.
Angel Price Music Festival
In 2011, during a performance at the Angel Price Music Festival, a male audience trespassed and tried to pull Tae-yeon off the stage. Her bandmate, Sunny, reacted the fastest and intervened. The trespasser was subsequently stopped and apprehended by the host Oh Jung Tae and security staff. Tae-yeon was later praised for her calm and professional attitude as she continued the performance until it ended.
On the other hand, Coupang, the social business commerce that handled the ticket sales, could not avoid some negative criticism from the public, even after offering an apology as well as full tickets refund.
MTV Iggy's interview
During a MTV Iggy's interview, Tae-yeon was being described by the media as having a rude attitude; she was caught looking completely devoid of energy, having her head on her fist. Subsequently, Tae-yeon and her agency clarified this situation, stating that she had a flu and was just tired that day. Her bandmate, Jessica, further explained that Tae-yeon still decided to come out to the interview despite having a bad condition, so it was unfortunate that she had her professionalism questioned.
Soundtrack appearances and solo performances
|2004||You Bring Me Joy||"You Bring Me Joy"||04:05||Duet with The One|
|2007||SBS - Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||With Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|2008||KBS - Hong Gildong OST||"If"||04:25||Solo|
|"The Little Boat"||03:27||With Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|MBC - Beethoven Virus OST||"Can You Hear Me?"||04:00||Solo|
|N/A||"Haptic Motion"||01:31||With Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|Girls' Generation||"7989"||03:30||Duet with Kangta|
|2009||MBC - Heading to the Ground OST||"It's Love"||04:15||Duet with Sunny|
|"Motion"||04:06||With Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"S.E.O.U.L."||03:47||With Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny and Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae and Leeteuk of Super Junior|
|N/A||"I Can't Bear Anymore (Bear Song)"||02:43||With Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2010||N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||With Jessica, Tiffany, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, Taecyeon|
|Like a Star||"Like a Star"||03:58||Duet with The One|
|SBS - Athena: Goddess of War OST||"I Love You"||03:23||Solo|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송) ||03:26||With Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|2011||Different||"Different"||04:23||Duet with Kim Bum-soo|
|2012||I AM. OST||"Dear My Family"||05:26||With SM Town|
|MBC - The King 2 Hearts OST||"Missing You Like Crazy"||03:36||Solo|
|SBS - To the Beautiful You OST||"Closer"||04:04||Solo|
|2013||SBS - That Winter, The Wind Blows OST||"And One"||04:15||Solo|
|"I Got a Boy"||"Lost In Love"||04:00||Duet with Tiffany|
|Mr. Go OST||"Bye"||04:32||Solo|
|2014||SM the Ballad Vol. 2 – Breath||"Breath"||04:37||Duet with Jonghyun|
|"Set Me Free"||04:21||Solo|
|JTBC Campaign Song||"Colorful"||02:20||Solo|
|SBS - You're All Surrounded||"Love, That One Word"||03:55||Solo|
|Make Your Move (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)||"Cheap Creeper"||03:01||With Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|Gaon||Billboard K-pop Hot 100|
|2010||"Like a Star" (with The One)||1||—||Digital Single|
|"I Love You"||2||—||SBS Athena: Goddess of War OST|
|2011||"Different" (with Kim Bum-soo)||2||—||Digital Single|
|2012||"Missing You Like Crazy"||2||2||MBC The King 2 Hearts OST|
|"Closer"||7||7||SBS To The Beautiful You OST|
|2013||"And One"||2||1||SBS That Winter, The Wind Blows OST|
|"Bye"||21||19||Mr. Go OST|
|2014||"Love, That One Word"||8||6||SBS You're All Surrounded OST|
|2010||Despicable Me||Margo (voice-over)||Korean version|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2013||Despicable Me 2||Margo (voice-over)||Korean version|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||KBS||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo on Episode 64|
|2012||Salamander Guru and The Shadows||SBS||Tae-yeon||Cameo on Episode 3|
Reality and variety shows
|2008||Family Outing||SBS||Episode 13 & 14|
|2008-2014||Radio star||MBC||Episode 120, 256, 312|
|2009||We Got Married||Season 1; Episode 42–54|
|Infinite Challenge||Season 4; Episode 144|
|Happy Together||KBS||Season 3|
|2010||We Got Married||MBC||Season 2; Episode 40, 51, 52 & 69 (On stage)|
|2011-2013||Running Man||SBS||Episode 63 & 64, 112|
|2012||Invincible Youth 2||KBS2||Episode 22|
|2013||Strong Heart||SBS||Episode 165 & 166|
|Shinhwa Broadcast||JTBC||Guest on Episodes 47 and 48 along with Hyoyeon, Sunny, Yoona, Yuri and Sooyoung|
|2014||Hidden Singer 3||JTBC||Contestant|
Award shows hosting
|2012||1st Gaon Charts K-Pop Awards||KBS||Host with Joo Young-hoon|
|2014||SBS Entertainment Awards||SBS||Presenter with Kim Sung-soo|
|2014||28th Golden Disk Awards||JTBC||Host with Tiffany and Oh Sang-jin|
Television shows hosting
|2012–2013||Show! Music Core||MBC||Host|
Music video appearances
|"Can You Hear Me Now"||Taeyeon||N/A|
|2009||"S.E.O.U.L."||Super Junior and Girls' Generation||Herself|
|2014||"Breath"||SM the Ballad||Herself|
|2010||Midnight Sun||Kaoru||Female lead|
|2008–2009||Chin Chin Radio||Co-DJ along with Kang In|
|2009–2010||Chin Chin Radio||DJ|
|2013||MBC SJ Shin Dong's Shim Shim Ta Pa||Guest DJ together with Tiffany (fill-in for Shindong)|
Aside from her endorsements alongside Girls' Generation, Taeyeon has also endorsed the following brands:
|2007||Gamevil Skipping Stone 3|
|2013||B-Ing Collagen||Until 2014|
|Nature Republic||Until 2014|
|2014||Mixxo||With Tiffany and Seohyun|
|2004||8th Annual Best Contest||Best Singer 1st Place & Grand Award||Won|
|2008||Cyworld Song of the Month : February||"If"||Won|
|2008 Mnet Asian Music Awards – Best OST||"If"||Won|
|23rd Golden Disk Awards||Yepp Popularity Award for "Can You Hear Me?"||Won|
|2009||Program Production||"Good Friend Radio (ChinChin)"||Won|
|2009 MBC Drama Awards (Radio Newcomer Award)||"Good Friend Radio (ChinChin)"||Won|
|2010||16th Republic of Korea Entertainment Arts Awards||Female Radio Award||Won|
|Yahoo Buzz! Award's Top Buzz Star : Female Category||Herself||Won|
|2011||The 5th Musical Awards||Best Newcomer||Nominated|
|2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards – Best OST||"I Love You"||Nominated|
|2011 Mnet Asian Music Awards – Song of the Year||"I Love You"||Nominated|
|2011 MelOn Music Awards – Best OST||"I Love You"||Nominated|
|2012||Seoul International Drama Awards 2012 – Best Song from a Series||"Missing You Like Crazy"||Won|
|2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards – Best OST||"Missing You Like Crazy"||Nominated|
- Note: Taeyeon plays guitar in the musical performance of Midnight Sun.
- (Korean) "뮤지컬 꼭 하고 싶었어요" 소녀시대 태연, playdb.co.kr. April 13, 2010. Retrieved May 13, 2010. (Interview)
- 台灣粉絲愛替韓國偶像正名，追出「少女時代」隊長太妍的漢字名「金泰耎」。 (in zh-tw). 爽報. 2012-08-27. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Taeyeon: "The Most Memorable Student From SM Academy" Soompi.com (October 14, 2010). Retrieved on July 1, 2014.
- Taeyeon featured in The One's 2nd album in 2004 (in Korean) Nocutnews.co.kr (March 19, 2008). Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Taeyeon and "Midnight Sun" Musical (in Korean). Originally from Themusical.co.kr (May 2010). Archived on February 2, 2013. Retrieved on July 4, 2014
- Taeyeon's high school graduation & Lifetime Achievement Award (in Korean), Originally from Mydaily.co.kr (February 5, 2008). Archived on April 7, 2012. Retrieved on July 4, 2014.
- Kang Ji-hoon (강지훈) (2008-03-03). "'솔로' 태연, 소녀시대 인기 능가할까" (in Korean). Mydaily News.
- Im I-rang. 동방신기, '골든 디스크' 대상…본상-인기상 등 3관왕 (TVXQ, "Golden Disk" Main Award...Other Award-Popularity Award; Triple Crown King). MyDaily. December 10, 2008. Retrieved April 27, 2009.
- "[NEWS] ‘It Must Be Love’ by SNSD TaeYeon and Sunny #1 on Music Charts". KPOP JJANG. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "2PM and SNSD release new version of Cabi Song MV". allkpop. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Taeyeon & The One – "Like A Star" music video, Yeinjee.com, November 19, 2010.
- "Taeyeon’s Athena OST Song "I Love You" Is Revealed!". Korea.com. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Taeyeon and Kim Bum Soo’s Duet ‘Different’ released!". allkpop. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Updated: Taeyeon Performs ‘Missing You Like Crazy’ on ‘Show! Music Core’". soshified. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon to sing for ‘Wind Blows In Winter’ OST
- Korea K-Pop Hot 100 : Mar 30, 2013 | Billboard Chart Archive
- "🎁 http://youtu.be/e0p95yDYoCU". TaeYeon official Instagram account. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Girls' Generation Profile". SM Entertainment. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Girls Generation TTS -". SNSD Korean. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- More details including tracklist and participating artists for SM The Ballad's 2nd album 'Breath' revealed Allkpop.com (February 3, 2014). Retrieved on May 24, 2014.
- SM the Ballad’s Joint Recital for Second Album “Breath” Soompi.com (February 15, 2014). Retrieved on May 16, 2014.
- Music Core Comeback Stages by Sunmi, SM the Ballad, BTOB, Park Ji Yoon and More Soompi.com (February 22, 2014). Retrieved on June 19, 2014.
- (English) Girls' Generation Dominates MBC, The Korea Times, May 20, 2009. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- (Korean) 태연, MBC 라디오 '친한 친구' DJ 2년 만에 하차 (Taeyeon is withdrawing from MBC Chinchin radio as a DJ) News Nate. April 19, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- (Korean) Official "WinWin" website
- Taeyeon and Seohyun to join Tiffany as new ‘Music Core’ MCs
- Taeyeon to MC at ‘First Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards’
- Taeyeon and Tiffany Set to MC at the 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok
- Girls’ Generation member Taeyeon hosts the ‘Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards’ despite toe injury
- Hannah Kim: SNSD lead lands musical role, JoongAng Daily, March 18, 2010
- (Korean) (Taeyeon To Have A Musical Debut! Cast For Main Female Role). Newsen. March 15, 2010. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- Park Sun-young: Girls' Generation singer makes theatrical debut, JoongAng Daily, May 12, 2010. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 태연-서현, 3D 애니 ‘슈퍼배드’ 목소리 캐스팅 (Girls' Generation's Tae-yeon and Seohyun cast as voice actors for 3D Animation), Newsen.com, May 17, 2010. Retrieved May 17, 2010
- (Korean) "재혼에 원조 교제 수준"…'우결' 정형돈-태연 결혼에 네티즌 시끌 ('"Second Marriage Follows First Relationship Standard"...We Got Married Jung Hyungdon—Taeyeon Wedding News Causes Netizen Uproar'. Chosun Ilbo. January 7, 2009. Retrieved April 27, 2009.
- SNSD’s Tae-yeon almost pulled off stage during performance Allkpop.com (April 17, 2011). Retrieved on June 20, 2014.
- Coupang releases apology for “Angel Price Music Festival”, will issue full refunds Allkpop.com (April 18, 2011). Retrieved on June 20, 2014.
- Girls’ Generation Taeyeon Explains "MTV IGGY" Incident on "Happy Together" Soompi.com (May 11, 2012). Retrieved on June 19, 2014.
- EXO's Baekhyun & Girls' Generation's Taeyeon reported to be dating + SM confirms it's true Allkpop.com (June 18, 2014). Retrieved on June 18, 2014.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Gaon Chart Search" (in Korean). Gaon Chart.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Lee, Nancy (8 February 2013). "SNSD Members Say They Fought to Appear on Shinhwa Broadcast". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- (Korean) (영상)소녀시대 태연, 혼자서도 인기, nocutnews.co.kr. March 20, 2008. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- MNet 20's Choice Award 2008 Winners
- Golden Disk Awards 2008 Winners List
- (Korean) 태연 “늦은 밤 나와 얘기나눠준 청취자에 감사” 라디오 신인상. Newsen. December 30, 2009. Retrieved December 30, 2009.
- Winners at the 16th Republic of Korea Entertainment Arts Awards Ceremony
- (Korean)  . Yahoo Buzz Awards.
- (Korean) 제5회 더 뮤지컬 어워즈, 조승우·차지연 품으로.The 5th Musical Awards Winners.
- Girls’ Generation Nominated for 5 Mnet Asian Music Awards
- (Korean) Prize winners at the Seoul Drama Awards 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Tae-yeon.|