|15th Secretary of State of Washington|
January 16, 2013
|Preceded by||Sam Reed|
|Alma mater||California State University, Long Beach
Kim Wyman is the current Secretary of State of Washington, having barely won in the 2012 state elections. She is currently the only member of the Republican Party elected to statewide office on the West Coast of the United States, excluding Alaska.
Wyman attended college at California State University, Long Beach and lived abroad after graduation. Barriers to voting in US elections while living in Germany inspired her to become an elections official. She earned her Master of Public Administration degree from Troy State University's European Division. Wyman was one of the first public officials to become a Certified Elections/Registration Administrator from Auburn University.
In 2001, Wyman was appointed as county auditor for Thurston County, succeeding Sam Reed—she would again succeed Reed following her election as Secretary of State of Washington. She was eventually elected to the position and later reelected, as recently as 2010.
In the 2012 Washington state elections, Wyman was elected Secretary of State, defeating her Democratic opponent, Kathleen Drew. Wyman was the only Republican elected to statewide office in the state. She was endorsed in the election by the Walla Walla Union-Bulletin, The Wenatchee World, the Tri-City Herald, and The Seattle Times. The Times cited her bipartisan appeal and experience as an elections administrator in its endorsement. She was also endorsed by the Washington Education Association, which normally endorses Democrats.
|2012||Kim Wyman||1,459,773||50.4%||Kathleen Drew||1,436,735||49.6%|
- Reed, Sam (21 November 2012). "November 06, 2012 General Election Results". Secretary of State of Washington. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Brunner, Jim (17 November 2012). "State Republicans ponder long-term prospects on blue West Coast". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Meet Kim". Kim Wyman. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Kim Wyman clear choice for Washington's secretary of state". Walla Walla Union-Bulletin. 12 October 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Kim Wyman for secretary of state". The Wenatchee World. 20 October 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Kim Wyman best choice for secretary of state". Tri-City Herald. 3 October 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Editorial: The Times recommends Kim Wyman for Washington’s secretary of state". The Seattle Times. 7 October 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "WEA-PAC recommends Kim Wyman for election as Secretary of State". Washington Education Association. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Campaign website
- Kim Wyman at Ballotpedia
- Kim Wyman at Project Vote Smart
- Kim Wyman on Twitter
- Profile from Thurston County
|Thurston County Auditor
|Secretary of State of Washington