26 September 1987 |
Pyongyang, North Korea
|Revised Romanization||Gim Yeojeong|
Kim Yo-jong was born as the daughter of Kim Jong-il and his wife Ko Yong-hui on 26 September 1987. She and Kim Jong-un studied together in Switzerland from 1996 to 2000, and she may have studied at the Kim Il-sung Military University after her return.
She was first spotted at a photo session for participants at the 3rd Conference of the Workers' Party of Korea in September 2010, when she stood next to her father's personal secretary and alleged mistress Kim Ok.
Kim Yo-jong was given much publicity during the funeral service for Kim Jong-il in December 2011, when she appeared several times alongside her brother Kim Jong-un or leading funeral processions of central officials, despite not even being a funeral committee member, and she was never named. She was then reportedly given a position under the National Defence Commission at the beginning of 2012 as tour manager for Kim Jong-un, but has not appeared in news reports except for November 2012, when the Korean Central Television showed her accompanying Kim Jong-un at a military riding ground. She was officially mentioned for the first time on 9 March 2014, as she accompanied her brother in voting for the Supreme People's Assembly. Kim Yo-jong was identified as a "senior official" of the WPK Central Committee.
In October 2014 she was reported to have possibly taken over state duties for her ailing brother while he underwent medical treatment.
|Select[α] family tree of North Korea's ruling[β] Kim family[γ][δ]|
- "Kim Yo Jong". North Korea Leadership Watch. 11 July 2013.
- "KJI Youngest Daughter Working as Events Manager for KJU?". North Korea Leadership Watch. 22 July 2013.
- "Kim Yo-jung is believed to have studied abroad and to share her older brother’s ambition". Hankyoreh. 22 July 2013.
- "North Korea Newsletter No. 237". Yonhap News Agency. 22 November 2013.
- "Kim Jong Un Visits Kim Il Sung University of Politics and Takes Part in Election of Deputy to SPA". Korean Central News Agency. 9 March 2014.
- "Kim Jong-un 'preparing to purge aunt'". The Telegraph. 6 December 2013.
- Silva, Cristina (2014-10-02). "Has Kim Yo-Jong Taken Over For Kim Jong Un? Sister Assumes North Korea State Duties While Brother Undergoes Medical Treatment". International Business Times. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- North Korea's 'princess' moves closer to center of power
- (2 January 2015) Kim Jong Un’s Little Sister Married Son of Top Regime Official, Report Says Wall Street Journal, Asia, Retrieved 16 January 2015