Kimberly (given name)
|Gender||Feminine or Masculine|
|Word/Name||Kimberley, in Northern Cape, South Africa|
|Variant form(s)||Kimberlee, Kimberleigh, Kimberli, Kimberlie (all feminine); Kimberley (unisex)|
|See also||Kimberley, Kimberly (surname)|
|Look up Kimberly in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Kimberly is a unisex given name originated from a South African place. The name was derived from an English title, which was in turn derived from an English place name. A variant spelling of the name is Kimberley, borne by both males and females. The form Kimberly is more common in North America than Kimberley. The given name Kim was originally a short form of Kimberley, but it is now established as an independent name in its own right; this name is also borne by both males and females.
Origin of the given name
The given name Kimberley is derived from the like-named place, Kimberley, in Northern Cape, South Africa. This South African place name was named after a Lord Kimberley, in the 19th century. At the end of the 19th century, this place was the scene of fighting and a British victory during the Second Boer War, and consequently the given name was popularised in the English-speaking world.
The name of Lord Kimberley's title is derived from the like-named place, Kimberley, in Norfolk, England. This place name is derived from two Old English elements: the first is the feminine personal name Cyneburg; the second element is lēah, meaning "wood" or "clearing". The place name roughly means: the "woodland clearing of Cyneburg". This place name was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Chineburlai. The Old English personal name Cyneburg means "royal-fortress".
The variant Kym is also common with males. Kim as a surname is particularly common in Korea.
People with this name
- Kimberley Chen, Australian-born, Taiwanese singer of Malaysian descent.
- Kimberly Elise, American actress
- Kimberly "Kim" Kardashian, American entertainer
- Kimberly "Lil' Kim" Denise Jones, American rapper, actress, singer, and songwriter
- Kimberley Nixon, Welsh actress
- Kimberley Rew, English singer-songwriter
- Kimberley Walsh, English singer in the girl band Girls Aloud
- Kimberly Jones, American dancer in Cirque du Soleil
- Kim Chiu, Filipino actress, singer
- Kimberly Matula, American actress
- Kimberly Williams-Paisley, American actress
- Kimberley "Kim" Hughes, Australian cricketer
- Kimberly Wyatt, singer, dancer, member of the Pussycat Dolls
- Kim Novak, American actress, most famous for her performance in Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo (1958)
- Kim O'Brien, American actress active from 1974 to 1987
- Kymberly Pine, State of Hawaii House of Representatives
- Kym Marsh, English actress
- Kimberly Hart in the Power Rangers franchise. The character was portrayed by Amy Jo Johnson through three seasons (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) and two movies (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie).
- Kimberly "Kim" Pine, a character in Scott Pilgrim
- Kimberly Shaw in Melrose Place played by Marcia Cross
- Kim Possible in the Disney Channel animated cartoon of the same name
- Kimberly Hyde in the Australian soap opera Home and Away
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 159, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Kimberley, Encyclopedia.com, retrieved 8 December 2010 which cited: Mills, A. D. (2003), A Dictionary of British Place-Names, Oxford University Press
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|