Kimberly (given name)
|Gender||Feminine or Masculine|
|Word/name||Kimberley, in Northern Cape, South Africa|
|Variant form(s)||Kimberlee, Kimberleigh, Kimberli, Kimberlie (all feminine); Kimberley (unisex)|
|See also||Kimberley (surname)|
|Look up Kimberly in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Kimberly is a unisex given name originated from a South African place. The name was derived from an English title, which was in turn derived from an English place name. A variant spelling of the name is Kimberley, borne by both males and females. The form Kimberly is more common in North America than Kimberley. The given name Kim was originally a short form of Kimberley, but it is now established as an independent name in its own right; this name is also borne by both males and females.
Origin of the given name
The given name Kimberley is derived from place, Kimberley, in Northern Cape, South Africa. This South African place name was named after a Lord Kimberley in the 19th century. At the end of the 19th century, this place was the scene of fighting and a British victory during the Second Boer War, and consequently the given name was popularised in the English-speaking world.
The name of Lord Kimberley's title is derived from Kimberley, in Norfolk, England. This place name is derived from two Old English elements: the first is the feminine personal name Cyneburg; the second element is lēah, meaning "wood" or "clearing". The place name roughly means: the "woodland clearing of Cyneburg". This place name was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Chineburlai. The Old English personal name Cyneburg means "royal-fortress".
The variant Kym is also common with males.
The common Korean surname Kim is not related to Kimberly.
People with this name
- Kimberley Chen, Australian-born, Taiwanese singer of Malaysian descent.
- Kim Chiu, Filipino actress, singer
- Kimberly Davis, Rett syndrome advocate
- Kimberly Elise, American actress
- Kimberly Guilfoyle, American TV news reporter
- Kimberly Goss (born 1978), American singer of Korean descent
- Kimberley "Kim" Hughes, Australian cricketer
- Kimberly "Kim" Kardashian, American entertainer
- Kym Marsh, English actress
- Kim Matula, American actress
- Kimberley Nixon, Welsh actress
- Kim Novak, American actress
- Kim O'Brien, American actress active
- Kymberly Pine, State of Hawaii House of Representatives
- Kimberley Rew, English singer-songwriter
- Kimberley Walsh, English singer in the girl band Girls Aloud
- Kimberly Williams-Paisley, American actress
- Kimberly Wyatt, member of The Pussycat Dolls
- Kimberly Corman, a character in the film Final Destination 2
- Kimberly Hart, a character in the Power Rangers franchise
- Kimberly Hyde, a character in the television series Home and Away
- Kimberly Peddle, a character in the film Cyberbully
- Kim Pine, a character in the television series Scott Pilgrim
- Kim Possible, a character in the television series of the same name
- Kimberly Power, a character in the film Cyberbully
- Kimberly Shaw in the television series Melrose Place
- Kimberly Wakeham, a character in the film Cyberbully
- Hanks, Patrick; Hardcastle, Kate; Hodges, Flavia (2006), A Dictionary of First Names, Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, p. 159, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1
- Kimberley, Encyclopedia.com, retrieved 8 December 2010 which cited: Mills, A. D. (2003), A Dictionary of British Place-Names, Oxford University Press
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|