Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants
|Founded||1981 (San Francisco, California, United States)|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Key people|| • Bill Kimpton, Founder
• Michael Depatie, Chief Executive Officer
• Thomas W. LaTour, Chairman
|Services||Hotels, restaurants, and bars|
|Revenue||$905 million USD (2012)|
The Kimpton Hotel & Restaurant Group Inc. is an American hotel and restaurant company. Founded in 1981 by William (Bill) Kimpton and led by Chief Executive Officer Michael Depatie, it is the largest chain of boutique hotels in the United States. The company's headquarters are in San Francisco, California. All its properties are located in the United States.
Most Kimpton properties are marketed under their own independent names as boutique hotels; however, in 2005, the company launched two sub-brands within the company's brand: Hotel Palomar and Hotel Monaco. Each hotel has a restaurant or bar that is marketed as upscale or trendy. The company's loyalty program is called Kimpton InTouch. Fortune listed it as the #28 best company to work for in 2013. Under contract, the company also manages and operates hotels owned by other entities.
- Alexandria, Virginia – restaurant: Jackson 20, American cuisine
- Baltimore, Maryland – restaurant: B&O American Brasserie, regional American cuisine
- Chicago, Illinois – restaurant: South Water Kitchen, contemporary American home cooking
- Denver, Colorado – restaurant: Panzano, contemporary northern Italian cuisine
- Washington, D.C. – restaurant: Poste Moderne Brasserie, contemporary American cuisine
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – restaurant: Red Owl Tavern, an American restaurant and bar
- Portland, Oregon – restaurant: Red Star Tavern and Roast-House, regional American cuisine
- Salt Lake City, Utah – restaurant: Bambara, new American bistro
- San Francisco, California – restaurant: The Grand Cafe, American–French-fusion cuisine
- Seattle, Washington – restaurant: Sazerac, Louisiana-inspired Cajun cuisine
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – restaurant: Square 1682, new American cuisine
- Dallas, Texas – restaurant: Central 214, regional American cuisine
- Washington, D.C. – restaurant: Urbana, northern Italian, southern French, Greek, and Spanish cuisine
- Los Angeles, California – restaurant: Boulevard 16, Californian cuisine
- San Diego, California – restaurant: Saltbox, American gastro-lounge
- San Francisco, California – restaurant: Fifth Floor, Californian cuisine
- Chicago, Illinois – restaurant: Sable Kitchen and Bar, New American cuisine
- Phoenix, Arizona – restaurant: Blue Hound Kitchen and Cocktails, American gastro-lounge
In addition to the Hotel Monaco and Palomar Hotel brand hotels, other company hotels include:
- Alexandria, Virginia:
- Morrison House – restaurant: The Grille, American cuisine
- Lorien Hotel and Spa – restaurant: Brabo
- Aspen, Colorado:
- Sky Hotel – restaurant: 39 Degrees, social cuisine
- Boston, Massachusetts:
- Nine Zero Hotel – restaurant: KO Prime, traditional steakhouse
- Onyx Hotel – restaurant: Ruby Room
- Cambridge, Massachusetts:
- Hotel Marlowe – restaurant: Bambara, American cuisine
- Chicago, Illinois:
- Hotel Allegro – restaurant: 312 Chicago, Italian–American cuisine
- Hotel Burnham – restaurant: Atwood Cafe, contemporary American comfort food
- Dallas, Texas:
- Hotel Lumen – restaurant: Social, American cuisine
- Los Angeles, California:
- Hotel Wilshire – restaurant: The Roof on Wilshire
- New York City, New York:
- 70 Park Avenue Hotel – restaurant: Silverleaf
- Muse Hotel – restaurant: Nios
- Eventi Hotel
- Miami, Florida:
- Epic Hotel – restaurant: Area 31, Mediterranean seafood
- Surfcomber Hotel – Fully renovated as of December 1, 2011
- Portland, Oregon:
- Hotel Vintage Plaza – restaurant: Pazzo, northern Italian cuisine
- Riverplace Hotel – restaurant: Three Degrees Restaurant, American Grill & Bar
- San Diego, California:
- Hotel Solamar – restaurant: J6, Californian cuisine
- Hotel La Jolla – restaurant: Cusp, Mediterranean cuisine
- San Francisco, California:
- The Tuscan – restaurant: Pescatore, rustic Italian cuisine
- Prescott Hotel – restaurant: Postrio, contemporary American cuisine
- Sir Francis Drake Hotel – restaurant: Scala's Bistro, French Italian cuisine
- Argonaut Hotel – restaurant: Blue Mermaid, seafood
- Harbor Court Hotel – restaurant: Ozumo, Japanese cuisine
- Hotel Triton – restaurant: Cafe de le Presse, French cafe
- San Jose, California:
- Cypress Hotel – restaurant: Park Place, gourmet American cuisine
- Santa Barbara, California:
- Canary Hotel – restaurant: Coast Restaurant
- Scottsdale, Arizona:
- Firesky Resort and Spa – restaurant: Taggia, coastal Italian cuisine
- Seattle, Washington:
- Alexis Hotel – restaurant: Library Bistro, Local American cuisine
- Hotel Vintage Park – restaurant: Tulio, northern Italian cuisine
- Vero Beach, Florida:
- Vero Beach Hotel and Spa – restaurant: Cobalt
- Washington, D.C.:
- Hotel George – restaurant: Bistro Bis, modernized French bistro
- Hotel Helix – restaurant: Helix Lounge
- Hotel Madera – restaurant: Firefly, American bistro
- Hotel Rouge – restaurant: Bar Rouge, American cuisine
- Topaz Hotel – restaurant: Topaz Bar and Restaurant, American cuisine
- Donovan House – restaurant: Zentan, Asian cuisine
Every year, the company sponsors a red-ribbon campaign generating awareness and funds for local HIV service agencies. In addition, local hotels make donations to LGBT charities and host events for local community groups. Kimpton formed K-GLEN, the Kimpton Gay and Lesbian Employee Network, to advise the company on personnel and community outreach concerns. The committee meets quarterly and has representation from every region of the country. The company was included as one of the ten best companies for gay and lesbian employees by The Advocate. It has received a 100% rating on the Corporate Equality Index released by the Human Rights Campaign every year since 2005.
The company sponsors Dress for Success Worldwide, an international non-profit organization that provides professional clothing and employment retention programs for women.
- "100 Best Companies to Work For". Fortune. February 4, 2013. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Raine, George (April 27, 2008). "Joie de Vivre Finds Room To Grow – After Weathering Tumultuous times, Chip Conley's Hotel Company Looks Beyond the Bay Area and Seriously Pursues Food and Drink". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Kimpton Hotels: Boutique Hotels, Luxury Travel and Chef-Driven Gourmet Restaurants". Kimpton Hotels.
- Gunts, Edward (July 30, 2009). "Hotel Monaco Baltimore Offers Taste of Luxury". The Baltimore Sun.
- Ink48, a Kimpton Hotel
- "Hotel La Jolla". Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Environmentally Friendly Green Hotel Practices – Kimpton EarthCare Program". Kimpton Hotels.
- "It's About The Bottom Line." Advocate 1016 (7 Oct. 2008): 55-56. Academic Search Premier. Web. 12 Dec. 2011.
- "Corporate Equality Index 2012 | Human Rights Campaign." Human Rights Campaign. Human Rights Campaign, 2011. Web. 12 Dec. 2011.
- "Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants – Kimpton Programs – Kimpton Cares". Kimpton Hotels.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kimpton Hotels & Restaurant Group.|
- kimptonhotels.com, company's official website