Takuya Kimura's costume in Hero
|Born||November 13, 1972|
One of his relatives sent in the application to the Johnny & Associates talent agency, which specializes in young male teen idols, and he became a member of Johnny's Juniors, a group of trainees, in 1987. Then he became one of the 12 members in a unit called "Skate Boys". Skate Boys used to be backup dancers of Hikaru Genji, which at the time was a very popular group. In 1988, SMAP was created, and he joined.
The year 1993 can be considered to be a breakthrough year for Kimura and SMAP. After years of starring in low-budget dramas, Kimura played a leading role in the teen drama Asunaro Hakusho (あすなろ白書) as Osamu Toride, a college freshman in love with a friend Narumi Sonoda. The series, based on a then-popular manga of the same name, quickly became a hit. SMAP also released their hit single $10. In 1994, a phrase "Kimutaku Syndrome" started to be observed in some media. The term refers to a phenomenon in which some young boys copy his fashion. In 1995, he played a role in a movie Kimi o Wasurenai (君を忘れない). In 1996 he starred with Yamaguchi Tomoko in a TV series Long Vacation, which also became a hit. Kimura played a young shy pianist "Sena," who falls in love with an older ex-model. In the same year, SMAP began to host a weekly Japanese variety show SMAP×SMAP. During 1997, Kimura continued his streak of hit dramas with Gift and Love Generation. However, Gift was criticized for its violent plot, which allegedly promoted teenage crime.
In 2001, Kimura starred in Hero, which set a record with its high TV ratings of about 36.8%. He enjoyed more success in string of many hit series after Hero, such as Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi, Good Luck!!, Pride, and "ENGINE." "Good Luck" topped 2003's TV view ratings at 37.6%.
In 2005 he voiced Howl in Hayao Miyazaki's animation Howl's Moving Castle. In July 2006, Fuji TV aired a 2 hour long HERO special. Along with the original cast, he revived his role as prosecutor Kuryu Kohei.
Kimura starred in Bushi no Ichibun, released in December 2006. Directed by Yoji Yamada he played a young blind samurai during the Edo period. He earned a Japan Academy Prize nomination for Best Actor. However, he declined it because his agency, Johnny & Associates, was reluctant to have him compete with the other nominees, who are experienced film actors.
Kimura's latest movie is Space Battleship Yamato (live action film), released on December 1, 2010. This is the franchise's first live-action film and is Directed by Takashi Yamazaki.
In 2011 SMAP performed in Beijing, their first international concert, to showcase Japanese culture to China. The concert was originally scheduled for 2010 but was cancelled due to fears of overcrowding.
The television drama Priceless, broadcast on Fuji TV between October 22 and December 24 2012, was Kimura's 9th Getsu (Fuji TV golden prime-time slot); confirming thus his status as actor who starred in the greatest number of Getsu. His latest television drama is Ando Lloyd - A.I. Knows Love? on TBS
In 1999 he ended a nine-year relationship with his longtime girlfriend Kaori Ito. The next year, on November 23, he announced he was going to marry Shizuka Kudo, another Japanese pop idol. They married on December 5, 2000. His first daughter, Kokomi (心美), was born on May 1, 2001 and his second daughter, Mitsuki (光希), on February 5, 2003.
TV series & TV movies
- Ando Lloyd - A.I. Knows Love? (TBS, 2013)*
- Priceless / Aru Wake Nedaro,n namon! (Fuji TV, 2012)*
- Nankyoku Tairiku ~Kami no Ryouiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari / Antarctica (TBS, 2011)*
- Tsuki no Koibito aka Moon Lovers (Fuji TV, 2010)*
- Mr. Brain (TBS, 2009)*
- Goro's Bar (as Takura- not main lead) (TBS, 2009)
- Change! (Fuji TV, 2008)*
- Karei naru Ichizoku / The Grand Tribe / The Family (TBS, 2007)*
- Hero SP aka Hero in Europe (Fuji TV, 2006)*
- Saiyuuki (Fuji TV, 2006, Ep 1)
- Engine (Fuji TV, 2005)*
- Love and Dreams (2005)
- Pride (Fuji TV, 2004)*
- Good Luck!! (TBS, 2003)*
- Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi / Hundred Million Stars From the Sky (Fuji TV, 2002)*
- Hero (Fuji TV, 2001)*
- Food Fight (NTV, 2000)
- Beautiful Life (TBS, 2000)*
- Nemureru Mori (Fuji TV, 1998)*
- Oda Nobunaga (1998)*
- Love Generation (Fuji TV, 1997)*
- Gift (Fuji TV, 1997)*
- Ii Hito (Fuji TV, 1997)
- Boku ga boku de aru tame ni (Fuji TV, 1997)*
- Kyousoukyoku / Concerto (TBS, 1996)*
- Long Vacation (Fuji TV, 1996)*
- Furuhata Ninzaburo 1 (Fuji TV, Takuya in 1996 episode. Drama starts 1994.)
- Jinsei wa Joujoda (TBS, 1995)*
- Kimi wa Toki no kanata e / Beyond Your Time (TV Asahi, 1995)*
- Wakamono no Subete (Fuji TV, 1994)*
- Asunaro Hakusho / Ordinary People (Fuji TV, 1993)*
- The Dancing Girl of Izu / Izu no Odorikko (TV Tokyo, 1993)*
- Sono toki Heartwa Nusumareta (Fuji TV, 1992)*
- Space Battleship Yamato (live action film) (2010)
- Redline (2009 film) (voice) (2010)
- I Come with the Rain (Shitaro) (2008)
- Hero (2007 film) (2007)
- Love and Honor / Bushi no ichibun (2006)
- 2046 (Tak) (2004)
- Howl’s Moving Castle (voice) (2004)
- Chūshingura 1/47 (2001)
- Konya wa eigyouchu / Open 24 Hours / Business is Still Running Tonight (Fuji TV, 1999)
- Kimi wo Wasurenai / Fly Boys, Fly! (as Junichiro Ueda) (1995)
- Shoot (1994)
- Otōto (TBS, 1990)*
- 1999 Housou Bunka Kikin Award - Best Male Actor (Dorama: Beautiful Life)
- 1998 15. Best Jeanist
- 1997 14. Best Jeanist
- 1996 13. Best Jeanist
- 1995 12. Best Jeanist
- 1995 31. Galaxy Award (TV-Dorama: Wakamono no subete)
- 1994 11. Best Jeanist
- 1994 Erandooru Award - Best Newcomer (Movie: Shoot - Hit the Goal)
- 1994 7. Ishihara Yujiro Award - Best Newcomer (Movie: Shoot - Hit the Goal)
- "SMAP member profiles". Johnny's net. Retrieved 2010-02-17. (Japanese)
- "J-pop star Kimutaku caught speeding twice: reports". Agence France Presse (in English). March 15, 2012.
- "Housemaid drama series logs highest rating in nearly 12 years". Japan Economic Newswire (in English). December 22, 2011.
- 『HERO』、全話30％超の視聴率を達成 平均視聴率も新記録
- "Film of the day". Evening Gazette (in English). March 2, 2011. p. 22.
- "Kimutaku Declines Academy Nomination". Japan Zone. 2006-12-20. Retrieved 2009-12-17.
- Wan, Foong Woei (July 1, 2011). "Sugar and spies; Hot stars, espionage, romance and melodrama pump up the adrenaline on the small screen". The Straits Times (in English) (Singapore).
- Lee, Jocelyn (December 18, 2010). "Chiling's model answers; Chiling Lin, FHM Taiwan's sexiest woman for three years, sees herself as sweet, not sexy". The Straits Times (in English) (Singapore).
- "China hopes SMAP's concert will promote better Beijing-Tokyo ties". Japan Economic Newswire (in English). September 15, 2011.
- "SMAP vows to show Japan's resilience in China concert". Japan Economic Newswire (in English). August 16, 2011.