Grannis performing live
|Birth name||Kina Kasuya Grannis|
|Born||August 4, 1985|
|Origin||Mission Viejo, California, United States|
|Years active||2001 – present|
|Labels||One Haven (2010–present)
Interscope Records (2008)
|Associated acts||David Choi, Boyce Avenue, Joseph Vincent, I Fight Dragons, Hoodie Allen, Marié Digby, Imaginary Future|
Kamaka HF-2 Concert
Kina Kasuya Grannis (born August 4, 1985) is an American guitarist and singer-songwriter. She is half Japanese and half European American. Grannis was the winner of the Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest. As a result of winning, she earned a recording contract with Interscope Records and had her music video played during the commercials of Super Bowl XLII on February 3, 2008. She won Best Web-Born Artist at the 2011 MTV O Music Awards.
Her progress in the competition was covered in The Orange County Register and The Wall Street Journal. Grannis has also been featured on FOX News Los Angeles, Good Day L.A. and Yahoo!.
- 1 Early life and career beginnings
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Songs in other media
- 6 Television appearances
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life and career beginnings
Grannis grew up in Mission Viejo, California, and it was here where her love for music began. In elementary school, she composed and submitted piano compositions to district art competitions. Soon afterwards, she began playing the violin, an instrument she would play throughout high school. By age 15, she started teaching herself the guitar and it was this instrument with which she fell in love.
Grannis enrolled at the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles in 2003. Two years later, staff members of the University's Thornton School of Music asked her to produce an album in their music and music industry departments. That album, Sincerely, Me., was released the same year. In 2007, she graduated summa cum laude in social science with an emphasis on psychology. While attending USC, she was inducted into academic societies Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi.
In 2006, Grannis recorded and self-released two more albums, One More in the Attic and In Memory of the Singing Bridge. In early 2007, she recorded "Ours to Keep" written by Rachael Lawrence and Deborah Ellen. This song would be featured regularly on General Hospital and was in an episode of the ABC Family's mini-series Samurai Girl in September 2008.
On November 14, 2007, she created her YouTube account and began posting videos of her songs online. Her first video, "Message from Your Heart," was entered into Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest. The contest, which she won, landed her a contract with Interscope Records. Her YouTube videos have received more than 99 million views and have propelled her to become one of YouTube's most popular personalities. Grannis planned to work with Interscope Records to produce a new album, but in January 2009, she announced that she was leaving the label to be an independent artist.
On February 24, 2008, Grannis sang the national anthem for the Auto Club 500 NASCAR race in Fontana, California. In June 2009 her songs "Never Never" and "People" were used in episodes of MTV's reality series College Life. On January 13, 2010 Grannis was the headliner at a sold-out show at The Troubadour club in Los Angeles.
Grannis has also been a part of several Wong Fu Productions short films, including The Last, and the series Funemployed, as well as other YouTube stars videos. One of the bands Grannis has performed with in YouTube videos is Boyce Avenue. They have recorded many cover songs together such as Fast Car, originally by Tracy Chapman and the song With or Without You by U2.
Stairwells was released on February 23, 2010 and included many original songs already appearing on YouTube, as well as three previously unreleased songs: "World in Front of Me", "In Your Arms", and "Mr. Sun". Stairwells debuted at No. 139 on the Billboard 200, No. 5 on the Billboard Top Internet Albums chart, No. 2 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart, and No. 18 on the Billboard Independent Albums chart. The location of her release party for Stairwells, the Dakota Lounge in Santa Monica, was the subject of an article in the Orange Country Register because the venue enabled her to show her gratitude to her fans.
On March 13, 2010, her single "Valentine" was played by Paul Gambaccini on BBC Radio 2, a popular radio station in the UK. The music video for "Valentine" directed by a young and talented viral video director Ross Ching has been viewed well over 13 million times on YouTube. 
Grannis' Stairwells Springtime Tour began in San Francisco on May 24, 2010 and concluded in late June after several stints on the East Coast and in Canada. Her Fall Tour began on September 17, 2010 and concluded on November 17, 2010. On July 10, 2010 she played at Lilith Fair in St. Louis, Missouri.
In early 2011, Grannis was awarded the title of Sirius/XM CoffeeHouse's 2010 Singer-Songwriter Discovery of the Year after a months-long online voting period. Her song "Heart and Mind" was used for the German TV series Anna und die Liebe.
On November 3, 2011, Grannis released a stop-motion music video for the single In Your Arms, using 288,000 Jelly Belly jelly beans. It took about 2 years to complete the project. The video accumulated over 1 million views within the first three days. It now has over 10.6 million views.
World in Front of Me Tour (2011)
In April 2011, Grannis launched her first world tour. She performed in the eastern regions of Canada and in the eastern and southern regions of the United States. She continued in May through the northwest region of North America which included stops in Vancouver British Columbia and Los Angeles. Shows in Europe and southeast Asia followed into the fall of 2011.
In Your Arms Tour (2011)
In late 2011 and into 2012, Grannis launched her In Your Arms Tour in Europe, Asia (Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Hong Kong), Australia, and North America.
'Elements was released on May 6, 2014 and was produced by Matt Hales, aka Aqualung. Starting in November 2013, Kina began ramping up for the forthcoming album with the launch of "Kina Mondays," which promised a weekly video via Kina's YouTube channel. Nearly six months later, she continued to deliver on that promise and released a video for "The Fire," the first single from Elements. The song showcases lush acoustics and folk-driven vocals. The following week another album track was released via video with a stripped-down version of "My Own" featuring Kina's sisters and their rich harmonies. "Dear River," an upbeat, sonically organic track, premiered on Glamour's "Obsessed Blog". On its release day, Elements hit #2 on iTunes Singer Songwriter Chart, and #1 on iTunes Canada.
Grannis announced that she would be celebrating the release of her sophomore studio album Elements with fans at a handful of intimate shows across North America, kicking off with a show at the Troubadour in Hollywood on May 6 - Elements' release date. From there, she performs in San Francisco, New York City, Brooklyn, DC, Boston, Toronto, and Chicago. The select dates were the first time fans could hear Elements live and also served as Kina's first official headline run since the spring of 2012.
Grannis has two sisters, Misa and Emi, both of whom have occasionally been featured in her video blogs, as well as accompanying her at concerts and on tour. Her father, Gordon, is a chiropractor and her mother Trish is a graphic designer.
On August 31, 2013, Grannis married frequent musical collaborator, Jesse Epstein, in a small ceremony in Los Angeles, California. They met whilst attending high school, in which Jesse was in the grade below Kina.
In late 2007, she contributed her music to the Band Together: To Fight Measles benefit album. In October 2008, she participated in the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco to support the Leukemia Lymphoma Society in honor of her mother, raising $6,000 for the organization.
In 2009, the philanthropic organization Sister to Sisters adopted her song "Message from Your Heart".
In 2012 she launched a charity project called Run Team Kina dedicated to the promotion of personal health and wellness and to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. In 2012, Run Team Kina raised $71,886 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Songs in other media
|2007||General Hospital||TV series episode||"Ours to Keep"|
|2008||Glass City||Feature film||"Down and Gone (The Blue Song)"|
|J.C. Penney||Web Ad: "Back-to-School Interactive Initiative"||"My Time With You"(with David Choi)|
|Samurai Girl||TV mini-series||"Ours to Keep"|
|Super Bowl XLII||TV sports program||"Message from Your Heart"|
|2009||College Life||TV series episode: "Spring Break"||"People"|
|TV series episode: "Year's End"||"Never Never"|
|General Hospital||TV series episode||"Walking Away"|
|Sister to Sister||Nonprofit: Theme song||"Message from Your Heart"|
|2010||Agents of Secret Stuff||Web film||"My Time with You"|
|2011||Pretty Little Liars||TV episode||"In Your Arms"|
|The Protector||TV episode||"Back To Us"|
|The Real World||TV episode||"In Your Arms"|
|The Real World||TV episode||"Delicate"|
|My Life as Liz||TV episode (S2E03)||"Stars Falling Down"|
|My Life as Liz||TV episode (S2E05)||"The Goldfish Song"|
|Teen Mom 2||TV episode (S1E01)||"World in Front of Me"|
|Teen Mom 2||TV episode (S1E02)||"Back To US"|
|2012||Gossip Girl||TV series episode||"Valentine"|
|Gossip Girl||TV series episode||"The One You Say Goodnight To"|
|Switched at Birth||TV series episode (S01E21)||"Heart and Mind"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5533)||"World in Front of Me"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5534)||"In Your Arms"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5534)||"It's Love"|
|Wallander||TV series trailer||"Sound of Silence (Cover)"|
|The Real L Word||TV series (Episode S3E09)||"In Your Arms"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5568)||"Without Me"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5573)||"World in Front of Me"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5578)||"Delicate"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5585)||"Message from Your Heart"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5587)||"In Your Arms"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5593)||"Message from Your Heart"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5611)||"It's Love"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5613)||"World in Front of Me"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5628)||"It's Love"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5631)||"It's Love"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5636)||"Without Me"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5650)||"Stars falling Down"|
|Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5657)||"It's Love"|
|2013||Home and Away||TV series episode (Episode 5764)||"It's Love"|
|Winners & Losers||TV series episode||"World in Front of Me"|
|2014||Switched at Birth||TV series episode (Season 3 Episode 14)||"My Own"|
- Good Day, LA (KTTV, Los Angeles) – February 5, 2008
- NASCAR California 500 (Fox, National) – February 24, 2008
- The Elliott Show (CBS, National) – June 19, 2010
- San Diego Living (XETV, San Diego) – September 14, 2010
- The Morning Show (WJXT, Jacksonville) – October 6, 2010
- Good Day (WOFL, Orlando) – October 8, 2010
- Featured in "Nice Guys" Music Video with Chester See, NigaHiga, and KevJumba – May 31, 2011
- Taratata (France 2, Paris – France) – November 9, 2011
- Ellen (Syndicated, National) – November 15, 2011
- E! News (E!, National)- November 22, 2011
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC, National)- January 12, 2012
- Channel News Asia AM LIVE! ( Singapore ) – March 20, 2012
- The Real L Word (uncredited) (Showtime) – September 6, 2012
Awards and nominations
|2008||Crash the Super Bowl||"Message from Your Heart"||Won|
|2010||Sirius/XM CoffeeHouse's 2010 Singer-Songwriter Discovery of the Year||Self||Won|
|2011||MTV O Music Awards Best Web-Born Artist||Self||Won|
|2012||Channel One News Artist of the Year||Self||Won|
|2012||MVPA Awards Best Animated Video||"In Your Arms" music video||Won|
|2012||MVPA Awards Best Special Effects||"In Your Arms" music video||Won|
- "AArisings: A-Profiler: Kina Grannis". Webcache.googleusercontent.com. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Doritos Crash The Super Bowl Contest site". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "InformationWeek's ratings of Super Bowl Commercials Published 3 February 2008". InformationWeek. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Kina Grannis Wins Best Web-Born Artist". MTV. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- Berg, Tom. "OC Register article on Kina in Crash The Super Bowl". Ocregister.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Orange County Register article on the Gotta Digg video Published 19 January 2008". Ocregister.com. October 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Mission Viejo woman wins record-deal contest during Super Bowl". Orange County Register. February 3, 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "From coffee shop to Super Bowl to stardom ... in a day". Orange County Register. February 7, 2008.
- Mckay, Betsy (February 1, 2008). "Super Bowl Is Crunch Time For Doritos' Risky Youth Strategy". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Supermodels and celebrities dominate Super Bowl ads – Yahoo!! News". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on February 8, 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Kina Grannis : Artists". Interscope.com. February 3, 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "bla(h)g entry, Sept. 24, 2007". Kinagrannis.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "bla(h)g entry, Sept. 8, 2008". Kinagrannis.com. September 8, 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "TEDxHollywood - Entertaining and Connecting With Audiences | TEDx". TED.com. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Finding Community Through the Internet: Kina Grannis at TEDxHollywood". YouTube. 2013-04-27. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Short Film "The Last" ft. Harry Shum Jr., Kina Grannis, and more… in the works!". Wong Fu Productions. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "The Last". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Billboard 200 : Mar 13, 2010 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Heatseekers Albums : Mar 13, 2010 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Independent Albums : Mar 13, 2010 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard.com. 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Kina Grannis' music deal is with her fans". Orange County Register. March 5, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "BBC Radio 2 Programmes – Paul Gambaccini 13 March 2010". BBC. March 13, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- Jun022010. "Ross Ching – My Permanent Record". Geofffox.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- February-8-10. "Blog Archive » Kina Grannis – Valentine (music video)". The Pursuit of Character. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Kina Grannis interview". Beatweek Magazine. February 23, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- ">> Shows". Kina Grannis. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Kina Grannis". lilithfair.com. February 23, 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- “”. "Funemployed – Ep 2 – Excuses, Excuses...". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- “”. "Funemployed – Ep 5 – Follow your...Dreams?". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- “”. "Funemployed – Ep 6 – Videos don't make money.". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- “”. "Funemployed – Ep 8 – Caught cheating.". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- “”. "Funemployed – Ep 10 – Hug it out.". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- “”. "Funemployed – Ep 11 – Series FINALE – Gave it a shot.". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Kina Grannis releases new music video 'In Your Arms'". Asia Pacific Arts. April 11, 2011.
- "Twitter / @kinagrannis: 1 million views in less th...". Twitter. Retrieved 2011-11-07.
- "Gordon H. Grannis Chiropractic Clinic, Inc". Grannischiropractic.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "bla(h)g entry, Apr. 2, 2007". Kinagrannis.com. April 2, 2007. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- Name * (January 7, 2008). "American Red Cross Band Together article". Redcrossyouth.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Run Team Kina". runteamkina.com. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Grannis, Kina. "Without Me (Official Music Video)". Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- "Glass City Soundtrack".
- [dead link]
- "Watch Out Justin Bieber: Kina Grannis Proves Girls Can Find Success Through YouTube, Too".
- "College Life | Episode : Spring Break | Video, Photos". MTV. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- "Kina Grannis". Kina Grannis. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "Kina Grannis Wins Channel One News Artist of the Year". channelone.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kina Grannis.|