|Traded as||NYSE: KND|
|Founded||1985, Louisville, Kentucky, USA|
|Headquarters||Louisville, Kentucky, USA|
|Key people||Paul J. Diaz (CEO)
Phyllis R. Yale (Chairman)
Benjamin A. Breier (President/COO)
Stephen R. Cunanan (CPO)
Steven D. Farber (CFO)
Scott Blanchette (CIO)
|Products||Long-Term Acute Care Hospitals, Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers, Assisted Living Facilities, Rehabilitation Services, Hospice Care, Care Management|
|Revenue||$4.9 Billion USD (2013) |
|Divisions||Transitional Care Hospitals, Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers, Care Management, RehabCare|
Kindred Healthcare Incorporated (NYSE: KND) is a healthcare services company that operates hospitals, nursing centers, and contract rehabilitation services across the United States. Kindred is the largest diversified post-acute healthcare provider in the U.S.
Kindred's headquarters and support center are located in Louisville, Kentucky.
Kindred operates four divisions: Transitional Care Hospitals, Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers, Care Management, and RehabCare. A former fifth division, Kindred Pharmacy Services (KPS), was spun off in a merger with AmerisourceBergen, resulting in the creation of PharMerica.
Transitional Care Hospital
The Transitional Care Hospital division provides long-term acute care services to medically complex patients. Along with traditional freestanding hospitals, Kindred operates hospital-in-hospitals (HIH) that operate in a "host hospital" to provide long term acute care to patients it receives from the short-term acute care units. This division is led by President Steven L. Monaghan.
Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers
The Nursing and Rehabilitation Division of Kindred Healthcare operates nursing and rehabilitation centers and assisted living facilities. Kindred's centers care for both short- and long-term residents.
The Nursing Division is headed by Michael Beal.
The Care Management Division of Kindred Healthcare provides home health, hospice and private duty services to patients in a variety of settings, including homes, skilled nursing facilities and other residential settings. Care management services previously fell within the Home Health and Hospice division of Kindred Healthcare.
Through acquisition of various home health and hospice companies from 2008 through 2011, Kindred Healthcare began to expand these services into more states. The creation of a separate division for care management was announced in August 2013, leading to the development of the Kindred at Home branch of Kindred Healthcare that included these acquisitions.
Kindred's Rehabilitation division serves both Kindred and non-Kindred sites. Services are organized into two operating segments: skilled nursing rehabilitation services (SRS), which provide primarily to freestanding skilled nursing centers; and hospital rehabilitation services (HRS), which provide inpatient program management and therapy services to hospital units and outpatient services to hospital based satellite programs. In June 2011, Kindred combined its previous rehabilitation division with its new acquisition of RehabCare, renaming the division after this acquisition.
RehabCare is headed by Patricia M. Henry.
- "Kindred Healthcare Inc.". Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "2013 Annual Report". Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Kindred Healthcare, Nation's Largest Post-Acute Healthcare Provider, Selects Allscripts Referral Management". Bio-Web. November 20, 2008.
- "Fortune 500 2013: Kindred Healthcare". CNN. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "World's Most Admired Companies 2014: Kindred Healthcare snapshot". CNN. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- "Vencor Emerges From Chapter 11; Changes Name to Kindred Healthcare, Inc.". Business Wire. April 20, 2001. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Kindred Healthcare (2007). "Amerisourcebergen and kindred healthcare announce completion of transaction to create pharmerica corporation". Kindred Healthcare Press Release. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- Kindred Healthcare (2012). "Kindred Healthcare Annual Report: SEC Form 10-K 2012". p. 32. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- David A. Mann (2013). "Kindred creates Care Management Division". Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- Kindred Healthcare, Inc. (2011). "Kindred Healthcare Completes Acquisition of RehabCare Group". Press Release. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Kindred Healthcare Promotes Patricia M. Henry to President of RehabCare Division".
- Kindred Healthcare – Official Kindred Healthcare website
- Kindred at Home - Official Kindred at Home website
- Kindred Healthcare SEC Filings
- Kindred ranked on InformationWeek Elite 100 as number 77
- Kindred Healthcare's article in Boston's MDNews
|This article has not been added to any categories. Please help out by adding categories to it so that it can be listed with similar articles. (August 2014)|