King Edward Medical University
|King Edward Medical University|
King Edward Medical University(Urdu: کنگ ایڈورڈ میڈیکل یونیورسٹی) formerly known as King Edward Medical College is the oldest medical school in Pakistan. Mayo Hospital is the attached hospital, which was built in 1872 and was named after Lord Mak Mayo. King Edward Medical University is the oldest educational institute in Pakistan. King Edward Medical University is supervising Seven Tertiary care hospitals in Lahore as its teaching Hospitals.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus and departments
- 3 Academic degrees offered
- 4 Organization
- 5 Students, unions and sports
- 6 Research
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
King Edward Medical University was established in 1860 as the Lahore Medical College. It is the fourth oldest medical school in South Asia, after Medical College Kolkata (January 28 1835), Madras Medical College, Chennai (February 2 1835) and Grant Medical College, Bombay (1845)
The first academic building was completed in 1883.
On December 21, 1911, Lahore Medical College was renamed King Edward Medical College in Honor of the late King and Emperor and was elevated to the status of an independent, degree-granting university on May 12, 2005, when it became King Edward Medical University.
Campus and departments
The university has the following departments:
Basic science departments
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
Medicine and allied departments
- Tuberculosis and Chest Medicine (Pulmonology)
- Clinical Oncology (Radiotherapy)
- Child Psychiatry
- Dermatology Unit I and II
- General Medicine Unit I, II, III and IV
- Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences
- Social and Preventive Medicine
- Preventive Pediatrics
Surgery and allied departments
- Anesthesiology unit I and II
- Cardiac Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology Unit I, II, III and IV
- Ophthalmology unit I, II and III
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopedics Unit I and II
- Otorhinolaryngology Unit I and II
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- General Surgery Unit I, II, III and IV
- Thoracic Surgery
- Mayo Hospital Lahore
- Lady Willingdon Hospital
- Lady Aitchison Hospital
- Kot Khawja Saeed Hospital
- Shahdra Hospital
Institutes, schools and centres
- Centre For Nuclear Medicine (CENUM)
- Convalescent Centre
- College of Ophthalmology and Allied Vision Sciences(COAVS)
- School of Nursing
- School of Orthopaedic Technology
- School of Paramedical
- School of Physiotherapy
- Computer labs
- Wifi internet
Attached hostel facilities
- Boys Hostel
- Girls Hostel
Academic degrees offered
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.(Hons)) in Allied Health Sciences
- Doctor of physical therapy (DPT)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Master of Surgery (MS)
- Fellow of College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan (FCPS)
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP(UK))
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.)
King Edward Medical University is headed by the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Dr. Faisal Masud. At any time of year the university has over 1300 undergraduate and over 800 postgraduate students. Among the postgraduate doctors, 500 are doing residencies under the College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan.
Admission to King Edward Medical University is awarded to the students who have the highest merit in the province of Punjab and after primary selection the list of selected candidates is sent to Dr.Muhammad Awais (Chairman Pakistan Medical Board) for approval. The merit for admission is calculated from marks obtained in Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) exam plus the marks obtained in the entry test plus marks obtained in Secondary School Certificate (SSC). The percentage of each of these exams contributing to the final merit is different each year. The entry test takes place in September. Criteria for selection, for undergraduate seats, of foreign students and students with foreign examination is based on equivalents tables present for foreign examinations to that of local HSSC examination.
The graduation time period is five years. After graduation one year compulsory internship (House Job) is done in Mayo Hospital or any Government Hospital. The interns are given rotations in departments based on merit. This merit is made from marks obtained in final professional examination and all the other professional examination, with deductions for any failures in the exams. Of all the specialties on offer, the Medicine and Surgery ones are the most competitive and allow only the best of each graduating class. After completion of internship the full registration status to a Doctor is awarded by Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC). Which means that he/she can practice anywhere in Pakistan only.
Students, unions and sports
King Edward Medical University societies include:
- Kemcolians Gymno Society (KGS) (started in 2014)
- King Edward Literary Society urdu "KELS URDU" (started in 1882 as "Bazm e Adab" and Presently Abubakar Khan Gurmani is president of year 2013-14)
- Kemcolians Arts & Photography Society (KAPS)
- International Federation for Medical Students' Associations - Lahore (IFMSA-Lahore)
- Students' Patients Welfare Society. (SPWS)
- King Edward Debating Society (Since 1887) (KEDS)
- Kemcolians Sports Club
- Kemcolians Dramatic Society (KDS)
- Kemcolians Akhuwat Club ( A society for social welfare among students and patients)
The members of these societies compete at the national and international level, and have won numerous competitions.
King Edward Medical University Magazine, KEMCOL, is maintained by the students.
No student union is allowed in the university.
The previous and current students of KEMU are referred to as Kemcolians. The official student forum of the university is the blog: www.kemuntied.com . It serves as a brilliant guide, containing first-hand information from the students themselves about various aspects of life at the university.
The Pakistan Medical Tuberculosis Research Center (PMRC) conducts research on improving the management of tuberculosis. Its objective include "Management of Drug Resistant Tuberculosis" and "Eradication of Tuberculosis" in Pakistan
The following alumni appear on the official website:
- The King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of North America
- The King Edward Medical College Alumni Association of the United Kingdom
- The King Edward Medical College/University Alumni for all Kemcolians
- "The King Edward Medical University, Lahore Act 2005". Punjab Gazette (Extraordinary): 5393–5410. 12 May 2005.
- "Prospectus OF King Edward Medical University and Government Medical Colleges in the Punjab, Pakistan. Session 2007-2008". Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- Rahman, Dr. Atif. "After Passing Final Year (M.B.;B.S.)". Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- King Edward Medical University Website. "Pakistan Medical Research Center (PMRC)". Retrieved November 11, 2008.
- Jafarey, NA. "Why Pakistan lags behind in research". SciDev.Net. Retrieved 2005-06-20.
- King Edward Medical University Website. "Alumni Associations of King Edward Medical University". Retrieved August 16, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to King Edward Medical University, Lahore.|
- King Edward Medical University - Official website of King Edward Medical University.
- IFMSA-Lahore - Official website of International Federation of Medical Students' Associations - Lahore.
- KEMU - Department of Pathology
- KEMU - Department of Dermatology - Unit II
- KEMU - Department of Community medicine
- Students' Patient Welfare Society, KEMU
- Kemcolians Discussion Forum - Discussion forum for students and doctors of King Edward Medical University.
- Pakistan Medical Research Center
- Trend Setter Doctors, KEMU, Lahore - Helping to seek highness...
- Med Studentz Medical School Forums - Discussion forum for students interested in Pakistan Medical Colleges.
- Pakistan Forum On RxPG - RxPG is the largest internet medical community.