King George School (Sutton, Vermont)
|King George School|
If Knowledge is the amassing of information then Wisdom is the internalization of life's lessons learned through experience.
|Type||Private therapeutic boarding school|
|Head of School||Gerard Jones|
|Student to teacher ratio||6:1|
|Campus||300 acres (120 ha)|
The King George School (KGS) was a private year-round coeducational therapeutic boarding high school in a rural location in Sutton, Vermont, for students with alternative learning styles, attention difficulties, or behavioral and emotional problems which had contributed to learning problems. KGS largely focused on using art as a form a therapy to help students process emotions as well as teaching students to use art as a coping mechanism. It was operated by UHS of Sutton, a subsidiary of Universal Health Services. In May 2011, the head of the school announced that it would close on June 4, 2011.
The King George School enrolled students in grades 9 through 12. Enrollment was approximately 35 students with a maximum of 60-75 students.
Founded by educator Linda Houghton, the school opened September 5, 1998. It was threatened with closure in 2005 when its original parent company, Brown Schools, declared bankruptcy, but school officials and parents raised funds to keep the school open. Subsequently it became part of UHS. In May 2011, school head Gerard Jones announced that the school would close on June 4, 2011, after graduating its last class. He said that King George School had enrolled a total of more than 250 students during its history.
- Lefebvre, Paul (March 21, 2007). "Key wind witness kept from testifying". The Chronicle (Barton, Vermont).
- Behavioral Health Care, Universal Health Services website, accessed October 9, 2010
- Universal Health Services, Inc., Form 10-K, Subsidiaries of Registrant, Securities and Exchange Commission filing, February 25, 2010. Archived at faqs.org.
- Gerard Jones, King George School To Close, letter dated May 9, 2011, published on the Woodbury Reports website
- The King George School - Sutton, Vermont - VT - School overview, GreatSchools.net, accessed September 3, 2010
- http://www.strugglingteens.com/artman/publish/LookingatThingsES_090916.shtml Article by Linda Houghton 2009
- New Perspectives, 8/1998 - King George School, Struggling Teens website
- George School Staying Open, WCAX TV News, April 5, 2005