|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
King Kooba is the duo of producer Matt Harris (DJ Shuff) and Charlie Tate (also known as Colossus). They are an electronica DJ duo from the United Kingdom. Legend says that they were formed over a pint of beer at Charlie's Mom's pub in London, England. They are currently signed to the Om Records label, and have done work for many of their compilations, such as the Om Lounge series. Their style consists of a mixture of funk, soul, Latin, jazz, and hip hop, with some electronic elements such as synthesizers and drum machines. Some of their music, such as the song "Blue Mosque", are influenced by Middle Eastern.
Their third album, nufoundfunk, released in 2000, was especially well-reviewed. Sharon O'Connell of The Times called it "an impressively savvy swing through neo-funk, ambient house, jazz'n'bass, hip-hop and soul." DJ Magazine called it one of the best of the year.
- The Imperial Solution - debut LP, released 1998
- Enter The Throne Room - released 1999
- nufoundfunk - released 2000
- Indian Summer - released 2002
Remixes of King Kooba
- Kellman, Andy. "King Kooba: Biography", Allmusic. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- Donald, Paul (July 3, 2000). "King ready for crown", Edinburgh Evening News, p. 21.
- O'Connell, Sharon (June 17, 2000). "King Kooba: newfoundfunk", The Times, p. 9.
- (June 29, 2000). "DJ fan of royal stand-ins", Edinburgh Evening News, p. 36.