King Ping of Zhou
|King Ping of Zhou
|King of China|
|Predecessor||King You of Zhou|
|Successor||King Huan of Zhou|
Crown Prince Xiefu
|Ancestral name: Jī (姬)
Given name: Yíjiù (宜臼)
|Father||King You of Zhou|
|Mother||Queen Shen (daughter of the Marquess of Shen)|
King Ping of Zhou (died 720 BC) (Chinese: 周平王; pinyin: Zhōu Píng Wáng), formerly romanized as King P’ing of Chou, was the thirteenth king of the Chinese Zhou Dynasty and the first of Eastern Zhou Dynasty. He was the son of King You of Zhou and Queen Shen, and was known as Crown Prince Yijiu before ascending the throne.
King You had exiled Queen Shen and Yijiu after the king became enamoured with his concubine Bao Si and made her queen. As a result, Queen Shen’s father, the Marquess of Shen, teamed with the Quanrong nomads and local satellite states to overthrow King You. You was killed, and Bao Si captured. Yijiu ascended the throne and was posthumously known as King Ping of Zhou.
King Ping moved the Zhou Dynasty east from Haojing to Luoyang, thus ending the Western Zhou and beginning the Eastern Zhou Dynasty and the Spring and Autumn period. He is the first Zhou king to be mentioned in the chronological account of the Zuo Zhuan.
Over 14 centuries after King Ping’s death, Tang Dynasty Empress regnant Wu Zetian claimed ancestry from King Ping through his son Prince Wu, and changed the dynastic name to Zhou, which was reverted to Tang after her death.
- Chinese Text Project, Rulers of the Zhou states – with links to their occurrences in pre-Qin and Han texts.
- Phương Thi Danh (2001), Niên biểu lịch sử Trung Quốc
- Records of the Grand Historian by Sima Qian
- The Cambridge history of ancient China: from the origins of civilization to 221 B.C. Written by Michael Loewe.
- Giles, Herbert A. (1912). The Civilization of China. Tutis Digital Publishing. ISBN 81-320-0448-5. Chapter 1
- Sima Qian. Records of the Grand Historian, "Zhou Dynasty Annals".
- Bamboo Annals
- Zheng Zhu (郑注), "Classic of Rites · Unified Sacrifices (礼记·祭统》）
- Shaughnessy (1990:350)
- Paludan, 101
King Ping of ZhouDied: 720 BC
King You of Zhou
|King of China
King Huan of Zhou
|This Chinese royalty-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|