Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
|Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix|
North American box art
|Developer(s)||Square Enix 1st Production Department|
|Distributor(s)||Disney Interactive Studios|
|Release date(s)||JP October 2, 2014
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (キングダム ハーツ HD 2.5 リミックス Kingudamu Hātsu HD 2.5 Rimikkusu?, stylized Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX) is a video game HD remastered collection of the Kingdom Hearts series, developed by Square Enix exclusively for the PlayStation 3. A successor to Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix, it was announced in October 2013 and was released in Japan on October 2, 2014, and will be released in North America on December 2, 2014, and in Europe on December 5, 2014.
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix will include Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix in high definition and with trophy support. Additionally, the collection features Kingdom Hearts Re:coded in a Theatre Mode, spanning over 3 hours of HD remastered cinematics from the original game as well as new content.
In the credits of Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix, clips of the games featured in the collection were shown, hinting at the collection. Additionally, when IGN interviewed Shinji Hashimoto about Kingdom Hearts III, he stated that the studio would consider another HD collection if the reaction to the first one was positive enough. The collection was announced on October 14, 2013, exclusively for the PlayStation 3. As with HD 1.5 Remix, the collection was developed mainly by the Square Enix 1st Production Department in Osaka, along with some help from Square Enix's Tokyo team.
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
The backgrounds and textures of the game had to be adjusted in order to change from the game's original 4:3 ratio to the HD 16:9. Additional imagery was added to the menu screens and gummi ship area to compensate for areas that were lacking from the ratio shift. According to co-director Tai Yasue, approximately 80% of the original audio was remixed, as well as additional orchestral elements added to the songs. Yasue said, "Yoko Shimomura’s music is an undeniable trait of the Kingdom Hearts series, I feel like without the atmosphere she creates, it isn’t Kingdom Hearts, so the mix of the final audio was carefully controlled but also provides a new depth to the familiar sound." Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix will be released outside of Japan for the first time as part of the collection.
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
Moving from the PlayStation Portable to the PlayStation 3 allowed the development team to add more details to the character designs, additional atmospheric sounds, as well as slightly tweak the gameplay system, now allowing camera control with the right analog stick. As well, the Mirage Arena, a multiplayer component from the original, has been reworked to only be a single-player experience. Yasue said enemy strengths in the Arena were adjusted to account for this, as well as additional changes to the AI. The inclusion of the Final Mix version in the collection will mark the first time for this version to be released outside of Japan.
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded was also included, but features the Nintendo DS game adapted into a cinematic retelling, similar to how Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was included in Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix. For the Re:coded cinematics, additional events occur that were not seen in the original. Tetsuya Nomura added that new voice acting is being recorded, and hinting at the inclusion of a new battle scene and a scene that ties Re:coded and Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance together. Yasue revealed that approximately 2 hours of the total 3 hour cinematic is newly created content and subsequently recorded with voice acting, as well as featuring additional scenes that flesh out the backstories of other Kingdom Hearts titles.
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix was released in Japan on October 2, 2014, and will be released in North America on December 2, in Australia on December 4, and in Europe on December 5. Preorders for the game in North America and Australia includes an official Disney Collector's Pin for the game. Square Enix also released the collection in two bundles in Japan, with both featuring Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix and a code to get an Anniversary Set for Kingdom Hearts χ [chi]. The first, titled Kingdom Hearts Starter Pack: HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix, features the previously mentioned material and limited edition casing, while the second, Kingdom Hearts Collector’s Pack: HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix features limited edition casing, a promo soundtrack, and a booklet with art from the series in addition to the previous material. A collectors edition for North America and Europe will also be released, featuring both HD collections, a steelbook case, art book, Disney Kingdom Hearts pin, and a Heartless plush doll.
The collection sold 84,935 units during its first week of release in Japan.
- "キングダム ハーツ HD 2.5 リミックス』安江泰氏インタビュー。HD化にまつわる開発秘話の他、最新作『KHIII』の話題も【E3 2014】" (in Japanese). Dengeki Online (Translation via Sqex.info). June 11, 2014. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- Kaori (June 6, 2014). "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Release Date". Square Enix. Retrieved June 6, 2014.
- Romano, Sal (June 17, 2014). "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix Japanese box art and limited editions revealed". Gematsu. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- Moriarty, Colin (June 5, 2014). "PS3's Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Gets A Release Date". IGN. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX – Limited Edition Announced". Impulse Gamer. July 25, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014.
- Karmali, Luke (October 14, 2013). "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix coming to PS3 in 2014". IGN. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Spencer (December 24, 2013). "Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix Will Have New Scenes For Re:coded". Siliconera. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Karmali, Luke (July 24, 2014). "KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 REMIX LIMITED EDITION REVEALED". IGN. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- Futter, Mike (November 5, 2014). "Almost Every Kingdom Hearts Game Available In New HD Collector’s Edition". Game Informer. GameStop. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- Blake, Vikki (November 5, 2014). "KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 REMIX COLLECTOR'S EDITION ANNOUNCED". IGN. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- "This Week In Sales: Kingdom Hearts Gets Remixed Again". Siliconera. October 8, 2014. Retrieved October 8, 2014.