|Motto||Una Laborantes ("Working Together")|
|Type||comprehensive community school|
|DfE URN||116468 Tables|
Kings' School is a comprehensive school in Winchester, Hampshire, with approximately 1,650 pupils. The most recent Ofsted inspection (June 2014) brought forward a generally excellent classification with thirty out of thirty-one sections of the report considered outstanding. Kings' School previously had Specialist status as a Business and Enterprise College and as a Language College.
Kings' School was formed in 1985 by merging the two previous schools on the site: Danemark School (girls) and Montgomery of Alamein School (boys). These schools trace their roots back to the Wesleyan Day School (1889), St Thomas's School (1893), St Mary's School (1900), and Danemark Central School (1912).
In recent years, between 85 and 95 per cent of 15-year-olds have achieved five or more GCSE grades A to C (80%–90%), including Maths and English. According to the BBC League Tables, Kings' is one of Hampshire's top state schools.
Kings' School has a large catchment area, from Winchester to the southern surrounding villages. Students from outside the catchment area are brought in by bus from as far north as Andover to as far south as Southampton. Unusually for a State Comprehensive school, Kings' School features a boys' boarding house, the Kings' School House.
In November 2008, a girl was to be taught in isolation as a result of dyeing her hair. Later that month, several parents complained that new restrictions regarding the colour of underwear were unfair and an invasion of privacy. The school stated that it was a misunderstanding, as it was a suggestion only, not a new rule.
Notable former pupils
- Albert Booth, politician (at St Thomas's School).
- Wayne Bridge, footballer.
- Jack Dee, stand-up comedian, actor and writer (at Montgomery of Alamein School).
- Colin Firth, film, television and stage actor (at Montgomery of Alamein School).
- Anthony 'Budge' Pountney, Scottish rugby player, former player and director of rugby at Northampton Saints.
- UK Government school performance tables
- BBC league tables
- "Girls tangled in Kings' School hair dye row". The Southern Daily Echo (Newsquest Media Group). 12 November 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Furious parents claim children are checked for what colour of pants and bras they wear". The Southern Daily Echo. November 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Black and white underwear rule a 'misunderstanding' says head". The Southern Daily Echo. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 114 September 2013.
- Langdon, Julia (10 February 2010). "Albert Booth obituary". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Wayne Bridge- Biography
- "Comedian Jack Dee collects degree", BBC 21 October 2009
- "Colin Firth: 'I'm no posh pin-up'", Daily Express, 29 September 2007
- Anthony Poutney (sic) – Hard to Budge