Kings of Mali
|Kings Of Mali|
|Live album by Chico Freeman|
|Chico Freeman chronology|
The lp, like many others recorded and produced by India Navigation in New York city, featured many of the top American players in post-bop and avant-garde jazz and features songs inspired by African history and the legacy of African Americans.
Inspired by the history of the Empire of Mali, Chico Freeman printed an extensive section of research from “Sundiata Keita and Mansa Kankan Musa, Kings of Mali” on the back of the album jacket.
- "Look Up" (Freeman) – 11:28
- "Minstrels’ Sun Dance" (Freeman)– 7:53
- "Kings Of Mali" (Freeman) – 9:56
- "IIIas (pronounced “Edjas”)" (Freeman) – 11:04
To date, there has been no CD issued of this recording.
- Chico Freeman - tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute, alto flute, bailophone
- Jay Hoggard – vibraphone, bailophone,
- Cecil McBee – bass
- Anthony Davis – piano
- Famoudou Don Moye - drums, percussion, bailophone, gongs, whistles
- India Navigation
- Cover photo: Beth Cummins