List of rulers of Tír Eoghain
Prior to this, the ruling dynasty - the Cenél nEógain - were most of the Kings of Ailech. During the tenth and eleventh centuries, two main septs within the dynasty emerged; the Mac Lochlainn and the Ó Néill. The latter family pushed aside the Mac Lochlainns, and from 1241 onwards the kingdom was ruled exclusively by members of the Ó Néill family.
For the O'Neill kingdom, distinct from Tyrone, that was ruled by the descendants of Aedh Buidhe mac Domnaill Óg below, see Clandeboye.
Kings of Tír Eóghain 1185-1616
- Domhnall mac Aodha Mac Lochlainn: 1185; deposed 1186;restored 1187; died 1188
- Ruaidhri Ó Flaithbheartaigh: 1186 - 1187
- Muircheartach mac Muircheartaigh Mac Lochlainn: 1188 - 1196
- Aodh Méith mac Aodha Ó Néill: 1196 - 1230; first Ua Neill (Ó Néill) king.
- Conchobhar Beg mac Conchobhair Mac Lochlainn: 1201 - 1201
- Niall Ruadh mac Aodha Ó Néill: 1230-1230
- Domhnall mac Muirchertaigh Mac Lochlainn: 1230; dep. 1230; res. 1234; died 1241 (last Mac Lochlainn King of Tír Eógain; all subsequent kings were Ó Néills)
- Domhnall Óg mac Aodha Méith Ó Néill: 1230 - 1234
- Brian mac Néill Ruaidh Ó Néill: 1238-16 May 1260; High King of Ireland 1258-1260.
- Aodh Buidhe mac Domhnaill Óg: 1260; dep. 1261; rest. 1263; died 1283 (the last to be styled King of Ailech)
- Niall Culanach mac Domhnaill Óg: 1261; dep. 1263; res. 1286; dep. 1290; died 1291
- Domhnall mac Brian Ó Néill: 1283; dep. 1286; res. 1290; dep. 1291; res. 1295; died 1325
- Brian mac Aodha Buidhe: 1291 - 1295
- Éinri mac Briain meic Aodha Buidhe: 1325; dep. 1345; died 1347
- Aodh Reamhair (Aodh Mór) mac Domhnaill: 1345-1364 - with one exception, all future kings were his descendants.
- Niall Mór mac Aodha Reamhair: 1364; also styled as King of Ulster 1364; abdicated 1397; died 1398
- Niall Óg mac Néill: 1397-1403
- Brian Óg mac Néill Óg: 1403-1403
- Domhnall mac Éinri Aimhreidh: 1404; dep. 1410; res.1414; dep.1419; res.1421; died 1 January 1432
- Eoghan mac Néill Óg: 1410; dep.1414; res.1419; dep. 1421; res. 1432; abdicated 1455; died 1456
- Éinri mac Eoghain: 1455; abdicated 1483; died 1484
- Conn mac Éinri: 1483 - 8 January 1493
- Éinri Óg mac Éinri: 1493 - 21 August 1498
- Domhnall Clarach mac Éinri: 1498 - 6 August 1509
- Art mac Aodha: 1509-1513; descended from Aed Buidhe; his mother was daughter of Eoghan mac Neill Og.
- Art Óg mac Cuinn: 1513-1519
- Conn Bacach mac Cuinn Ó Néill: 1519; created Earl of Tyrone 1542; deposed 1558; died 1559
- Seán Donnghaileach (Seán an Diomuis mac Cuinn Bhacaigh): 1559 - 2 June 1567
- Toirdhealbhach Luineach mac Neill Chonnalaigh meic Airt Óig Ó Néill: 1567; surrendered kingship to Hugh O'Neill 1593; died c. 10 September 1595
- Aodh Mór mac Feardorcha Ó Néill: 1593; fled 1607; died 10 July 1616 (by the Julian calendar; 20 July Gregorian).
It could also be argued that Conn Bachach had taken the title earl of Tyrone in 1542, as part of the process of Surrender and regrant, and in the process had waived his title. Whether he could waive it without consulting his clan derbfine is part of this debate.
Conn Bacach's grandson Aodh Mor was not proclaimed king at Tullyhogue in 1593, but assumed the title after arranging to pay Turlough Luineach an annuity.
- "Kings of Tír Eógain and Earls of Tyrone, 1185-1616", pages 211-213, "A New History of Ireland", Volume 9: Maps, Genealogies, Lists; A Companion to Irish History Part II", edited by T. W. Moody, F.X. Martin, F.J. Byrne, Oxford, 1984.