Kingston Park (stadium)
|Location||Kingston Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
|Architect||TTH Architects, Gateshead, UK|
Newcastle United Reserves
Kingston Park is a multi-purpose stadium in Kingston Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It is used mostly for rugby union matches and is the home stadium of Newcastle Falcons. The stadium is also used for the Newcastle United Reserves to play their home matches. From 2007 to 2009 it was home to semi-professional football team Newcastle Blue Star.
In 1990 Newcastle Gosforth, as the Falcons were then known, moved into their new ground Kingston Park, which they had purchased for £55,000. Prior to Newcastle Gosforth moving in, the site had been the Newcastle Chronicle and Journal Sports Ground.
The stadium has a capacity of 10,200 people. The stadium was built in stages, with the West Stand being the newest and most modern. There are plans to expand the exposed North Stand to give more protection from the elements and to provide more facilities for the fans. The South Stand (John Smith's stand) is all standing but it has good protection from the elements and facilities for the fans underneath the stand.
Northumbria University and the club are to develop the UK’s first ever rugby-based Centre of Sporting Excellence at Kingston Park.
The stadium is owned by Northumbria University who bought it in late 2008 for an undisclosed fee. Newcastle Falcons lease the site back from Northumbria University, in a similar fashion to the agreement with the previous owner. Included in the university deal for the 23-acre (93,000 m2) site is the rugby stadium, the land around the stadium and the car park. The former owner was the Northern Rock bank, who purchased it in 2007 for £14,756,646.
- Evans, Stewart Martin (2007). Pride in the lion : the history of Newcastle University Rugby Football Club. Newcastle University. ISBN 978-0-7017-0217-5.
- "Northumbria University buys Newcastle Falcons’ ground". The Journal. 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- "Northern Rock paid £15m for rugby ground". The Evening Chronicle. 2008-01-24. Retrieved 2008-11-14.
- Bond, David (2008-02-21). "Newcastle seek Northern Rock talks". London: The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kingston Park stadium.|
- Kingston Park at Newcastle Falcons
|This article about an English sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|