Kintigh Generating Station
The Kintigh Generating Station, also known as AES Somerset LLC is a 675-megawatt coal-fired power plant located in Somerset, New York, United States. The plant is owned by AES Corporation. Its only currently operating unit was launched into service in 1984. Coal is provided to the plant via the Somerset Railroad. The waste heat is dumped into Lake Ontario, resulting in a warm-water plume visible on satellite images. The plant's smoke stack can be seen across Lake Ontario from the shores of Toronto, Pickering, and Ajax, Ontario. It can also be seen from points along the Niagara Escarpment, including Lockport, NY, approximately 20 miles south. Power from the plant is transferred by 345kV power lines on wood pylons, which run south from the plant through rural agricultural land. In Royalton, NY they connect to a pair of 345kV single-circuit lines called the 345-kV Niagara-to-Edic transmission line, owned by the New York Power Authority, and carried by steel pylons for approximately 200 miles from the Canadian border at Niagara Falls, NY to a substation near Marcy, NY.
In 1975, NYSEG announced it was changing its construction plans because a geologic fault had been found 40 miles away in Attica. Extra retrofitting costs would have made a nuclear plant infeasible versus a reinforced coal . A 650 MW coal plant was built at the site and went into service in 1984 ahead of schedule and under budget.
- Troester, David (1999-09-20). "New era at Somerset plant boosts powerbase at AES".
- "Existing Electric Generating Units in the United States, 2006" (Excel). Energy Information Administration, U.S. Department of Energy. 2006. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Nuclear Power Generation and Fuel Cycle Report 1997 p. 67.
- "Geological Fault Causes Con Edison To Drop A-Plant". The New York Times. July 26, 1975. A later correction mentions that the title should have read NYSEG.
- Electricity Resource Assessment
- Coal Plant on Schedule, Below Costs
|This article about a United States power station is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|