|Population||9,929 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Moreton Bay Region|
|Region||South East Queensland|
|State electorate(s)||Murrumba, Redcliffe|
Kippa-Ring is a suburb of the Moreton Bay Region, Queensland, Australia. It is at the center of the Redcliffe Peninsula, approximately 27 kilometres (17 mi) north-northeast of Brisbane, the state capital. Designated as the commercial, retail & financial centre for the Redcliffe region, Kippa-Ring houses the bulk of the commercial and retail sectors on the Peninsula including the largest shopping centres.
Attractions and features
Kippa-Ring is home to two of the Redcliffe Peninsula's largest shopping centres - Peninsula Fair & Kippa-Ring Village, both of which are side by side. Peninsula Fair houses one of the first Kmart stores in Queensland and the only multiplex cinemas on the Redcliffe peninsula, Hoyts Cinemas with eight screens. Starting in 2011, Kippa-Ring Village has undergone a complete renovation including a new full-size Woolworths & a Target Country, substantially increasing local retail in the area as well as modernizing the Kippa-Ring Village. Construction and renovations will continue until late 2012. The shopping centre's first stage opened in April 2013.
One infamous feature of Kippa-Ring is its location as the terminus of the much-promised QR Citytrain train line to Redcliffe. Instead, the cheaper alternative of improving existing bus services, and the addition of a T2 lane on most of busy Anzac Avenue from Kippa-Ring to Rothwell, had been chosen. Since 2010, support from both state and federal government has promised the go-ahead for the Kippa-Ring rail link and construction is set to begin in 2012 with a 2016 completion date. Six new railway stations from Petrie to Kippa-Ring have been posted in Moreton Bay Council offices for citizens to view.
Kippa Ring is also home to the Botanical Gardens which hosts a multitude of native flora and fauna and is home during the day to the regions fruit bat population.
Educational institutions within Kippa-Ring are Hercules Road State School with just over 820 enrollments, Kippa-Ring State School with more than 500 enrollments, and Southern Cross Catholic College's Holy Cross primary campus.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Kippa-Ring (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Kippa-Ring (entry 45443)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- "Kippa-Ring". Place Names Online Search. Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Water. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- "$3M FOR PETRIE TO KIPPA-RING PUBLIC TRANSPORT CORRIDOR" (Press release). Government of Queensland. 15 June 2004. Retrieved 20 January 2009.
- "Hercules Road State School (SS) : Primary Enrolments". Queensland Government Department of Education, Training and the Arts. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "Kippa-Ring State School (SS) : Primary Enrolments". Queensland Government Department of Education, Training and the Arts. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kippa-Ring, Queensland.|