Kiran Rao 'DK Bose' Song Success Bash
7 November 1973 |
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Other names||aamir khan's wife|
|Occupation||Director, Producer, Screenwriter|
|Children||Azad Rao Khan|
Kiran Rao is an Indian film producer, screenwriter,actor and director.
Kiran Rao was born into a royal  family from Bangalore on 7 November 1973. Her paternal grandfather was J. Rameshwar Rao, Raja of Wanaparthy. She was raised in Kolkata where she attended Loreto House and La Martiniere Calcutta. In 1992, her parents decided to leave Kolkata so she moved to Mumbai. She graduated with an economics major from the Sophia College for Women (Mumbai) in 1995. She attended the Social Communications Media course at the Sophia Polytechnic for two months, but then left for Delhi. She got her Masters at AJK Mass Communication Research Center at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Her first maternal cousin is actress, Aditi Rao Hydari.
Kiran Rao started her career as an assistant director in the epic film Lagaan directed by Ashutosh Gowariker, whom she also assisted later on Swades: We, the People. Lagaan was nominated for 74th Academy Awards in the foreign language film category. Aamir Khan produced and starred in the same film. Before Lagaan she has also done minute role of supporting actress in Dil Chahta Hai'. She also worked as Second Assistant Director with Academy Award nominated director Mira Nair on the indie hit Monsoon Wedding.
Kiran Rao married actor/film director Aamir Khan in December 2005, after Khan divorced his first wife Reena Dutta in 2002. They met on the sets of movie Lagaan. Kiran was one of the film's assistant directors. They now live in Bandra, a Mumbai suburb. The couple have a son, Azad Rao Khan (born on 5 December 2011), who has been named after Abul Kalam Azad. She is an atheist.
- Lagaan: Once Upon A Time in India (2001)
- Monsoon Wedding (2001)
- Saathiya (2002)
- Swades: We, the People (2004)
- Taare Zameen Par (2007) (associate producer)
- Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na (2008) (associate producer)
- Peepli Live (2010) (producer)
- Dhobi Ghat (2011) (producer)
- Delhi Belly (2011) (producer)
- Talaash (2012) (producer)
- Satyamev Jayate (TV series) (2012)
- Ship Of Theseus (2013) (producer)
- "Aamir surprises Kiran on birthday".
- Gupta, Pratim D. (3 December 2010). "She's the one!". The Daily Telegraph (Calcutta, India). Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "Kiran Rao, happy birthday! - Bollywood News & Gossip, Movie Reviews, Trailers & Videos at". Bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Dear Mr. Subhash Ghai, my name is Kiran Rao". Tehelka Magazine. Vol 8, Issue 3, Dated 22 January 2011. Check date values in:
- "The little known Bollywood debut of Kiran Rao in Dil Chahta Hai". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Kiran Rao and Movies
- "Aamir is a dream producer: Kiran Rao". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "India's Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao Talk Dhobi Ghat, Art, Love and Career". UrbLife.com. 2 February 2011.
- "Grand reception for Aamir Khan-Kiran Rao wedding".
- "Baby boy for Aamir Khan, Kiran Rao".
- "Aamir made me open to different points of view: Kiran Rao - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Directorial Debut
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kiran Rao.|