December 26, 1976|
Kiev, Ukrainian SSR
|Relatives||Ivan Karabyts (father)|
In his youth, Karabits studied piano, and developed an interest in conducting at age 13. His early teachers included Tatiana Kozlov. In Kiev, he studied at the Lysenko Music School, and later at the National Tchaikovsky Music Academy. In 1995, he began studies at the Vienna Musikhochschule and earned a diploma in orchestral conducting after five years of study. He also attended the Internationale Bachakademie Stuttgart, where he was a pupil of Helmuth Rilling and Peter Gulke. He has done scholarly work on the musical archive of the Berliner Singakademie, such as transcribing the 1784 Johannes Passion of Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, which was thought to be lost.
Karabits made his first public conducting appearance at age 19. He was assistant conductor of the Budapest Festival Orchestra from 1998 to 2000. He also served as associate conductor of the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France from 2002 to 2005.
In October 2006, Karabits made his first conducting appearance with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (BSO), and returned in October 2007, where both concerts received acclaim. In November 2007, the BSO announced the appointment of Karabits as their 13th Principal Conductor, after a unanimous vote from the orchestra musicians, effective with the 2009–2010 season. Karabits held the title of Principal Conductor-Designate for the 2008–2009 season, with three concert appearances. He made his first conducting appearance at The Proms with the BSO in August 2009, and formally took up the BSO principal conductorship in October 2009. He is the first Ukrainian conductor to be named principal conductor of a UK orchestra. His initial contract was for 4 years. With the BSO, Karabits has recorded music of Rodion Shchedrin for the Naxos label, and music of Aram Khachaturian for the Onyx Classics label.  In August 2011, Karabits and the BSO agreed on a three-year extension of his contract as principal conductor through the 2015–2016 season.  In April 2015, the BSO announced that Karabits had signed a rolling contract as principal conductor, to extend his tenure to a minimum date of 2018.
- Suzy Klein (2010-11-04). "Kirill Karabits: pushing the limits". The Guardian. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- Geoffrey Norris (2007-10-19). "Kirill Karabits: Triumphant blend of virile verve and fine focus". Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- Geoffrey Norris (26 November 2007). "The young ones seize the baton". Telegraph. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, "Karabits appointed new Principal Conductor". 29 November 2007.
- James Inverne, "Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra names new chief conductor". Gramophone, 23 November 2007.
- Geoffrey Norris (2008-11-28). "Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra conducted by Kirill Karabits at the Lighthouse, Poole". Telegraph. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- Tim Ashley (2009-08-12). "Prom 34 – BSO/Karabits (Royal Albert Hall, London)". The Guardian. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- Ben Hoyle (7 October 2009). "Orchestras pass the baton to new band of Eastern Europeans". The Times. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- Kevin Shihoten (2007-11-27). "Karabits to Succeed Alsop as Bournemouth Symphony Principal Conductor". Playbill Arts. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- "A new partnership between Onyx Classics, Kirill Karabits and the BSO launches with the music of Khachaturian" (Press release). Albion Media. 21 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-06.
- Tim Ashley (2010-11-11). "Khachaturian: Spartacus; Gayaneh (excerpts) – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Kirill Karabits signs three season contract extension as Principal Conductor of Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra" (Press release). Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. 9 August 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Bournemouth Symphony extends principal conductor's contract". Gramophone. 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra extends partnership with Kirill Karabits" (Press release). Bournemoth Symphony Orchestra. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- Andy Martin (2015-04-29). ""I want to help take the BSO to the next level" - Conductor Karabits to extend stay to 2018 and beyond". Bournemouth Echo. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "Kirill Karabits Appointed Artistic Director of I,CULTURE Orchestra" (Press release). Harrison Parrott. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Harrison Parrott agency page biography of Kirill Karabits
- Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, French-language biography of Kirill Karabits
- Classical CD Review, review of Naxos 8.572405, recording of Rodion Shchedrin's Concerti for Orchestra Nos. 4 and 5, and Khrustal'niye gusli
|Principal Conductor, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra