Kirmington high street
Kirmington shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|– London||145 mi (233 km) S|
|Civil parish||Kirmington and Croxton|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Kirmington is a village in North Lincolnshire, England. It is part of the civil parish of Kirmington and Croxton. Kirmington is situated just north from the A18 road, 5 miles (8 km) west from Immingham and 7 miles (11 km) east from Brigg. Less than 1 mile (1.6 km) to the west is Humberside International Airport, the former Second World War station, RAF Kirmington.
Kirmington's recorded population in the 2001 Census was 337.
The village Grade II* listed Anglican church is dedicated to St Helena. The church is in Perpendicular and Decorated style, with chancel nave and vestry, and a 12th-century tower. In 1838 a wooden spire covered in copper was added. The church was restored in 1859 by Samuel Sanders Teulon, who rebuilt both aisles and re-roofed the nave.
The village school is Kirmington St Helena's Church of England Primary school, built in the 19th century, and extended, with additional facilities for pre-school children, in 2007.
RAF Kirmington was a Class A airfield of the Second World War. Construction began in 1941, and the airfield was opened for use by Bomber Command in summer 1942. Closed in 1953, it was used for agricultural flying until being converted for commercial use by Lindsey County Council. It opened as Humberside Airport in March 1974.
- "Kirmington Local History Pack". North Lincolnshire Council. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Parish Council web site". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Church of St Helen, Kirmington", National Heritage List for England, English Heritage. Retrieved 21 April 2012
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire with the port of Hull 1885, p. 504
- "Kirmington D C C". Diocese of Lincoln. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Church web site". Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Lincolnshire archive list of documents about Kirmington chapel, with brief history". Lincolnshire County Council. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "School Web Site". Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "RAF History, Kirmington". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- RAF Kirmington (1401149). PastScape. Historic England. Retrieved 3 March 2013.
- "Eastern Airways Home Page". Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- Media related to Kirmington at Wikimedia Commons
- "Kirmington Church of England Primary School"; Kirmington.n-lincs.sch.uk. Retrieved 21 April 2012