Kirori Mal College
|Kirori Mal College|
|Academic affiliation||University of Delhi|
|Principal||Dr. S.P. Gupta|
Delhi-110 007, area=17 acres(0.068 km2)
|Nickname||KM Kay'Em, KMC, Kirorians|
Kirori Mal College is one of the constituent college of the University of Delhi, located in New Delhi, India, and established in 1954. It offers undergraduate and graduate courses in science, arts, humanities and commerce. It offers extracurricular activities especially theater, music and art.
Kirori Mal College began as Nirmala College, started by American Jesuits in the wake of partition. It was located on Qutub Road. Faced with intractable problems relating to the staff in the period following the partition, the management of the college changed hands and the trust founded by Seth Kirori Mal took over the college. The college shifted to its present campus on 1 February 1954.
The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee in February 2004 with Amitabh Bachchan (alumnus of the college) as its chief guest.
- B.A. (Hons) Economics
- B.A. (Hons) English
- B.A. (Hons) Geography
- B.A. (Hons) Hindi
- B.A. (Hons) History
- B.A. (Hons) Political Science
- B.A. (Hons) Sanskrit
- B.A. (Hons) Urdu
- B.A. Programme
- B.Com. (Hons)
- B.Sc. Applied Physical Science (Computer Science)
- B.Sc. Applied Physical Science (Analytical Chemistry)
- B.Sc. Life Sciences
- B.Sc. Physical Sciences
- B.Sc. (Hons) Botany
- B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry
- B.Sc. (Hons) Mathematics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Physics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Statistics
- B.Sc. (Hons) Zoology
- M.A. English
- M.A. Hindi
- M.A. History
- M.A. Mathematics
- M.A. Political Science
- M.A. Sanskrit
- M.A. Urdu
- M.Sc. Botany
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Sc. Mathematics
- M.Sc. Operational Research
- M.Sc. Physics
- M.Sc. Zoology
It consists of 20 departments:
- Computer Science
- Physical Science
- Political Science
The college provides facilities for hockey, cricket, football, badminton, table tennis, basketball, athletics, boxing and chess. Kirori Mal College has a spectacular history in sports. It holds the record for having won five first positions in a single year (including three major games) in Delhi University Inter-College tournaments, and of once having been awarded the coveted Vice-Chancellor’s Trophy for being the best All Round College. Year after year, we have provided outstanding players to Delhi University, Delhi State and the junior India teams in several games. The college provides facilities for Hockey, Cricket, Football, Badminton, Table Tennis, Basketball, Athletics, Boxing and Chess. Students wishing to participate in any of these sports/games should enlist with Dr. Pramod C. Sharma, Teacher-in Charge, Department of Physical Education, at the beginning of the academic session. This year the department is ready with a sports ground of standard developed by the Commonwealth Games 2010 Organising Committee with a complete Facility Block, which will be a great boon to all sports students. This will include a standard arena for indoor activities such as Chess, Table Tennis, etc.
Kirori Mal College has activities in drama, debate, music, fine arts, photography, dance and film. The activities are organised through cultural societies.
The Players is one of the leading campus theatre groups in the country's varsity circuit. Its members receive training in theatre arts. It generally puts up four productions. The KMC Dramatics Society flourished under teacher Frank Thakurdas and was revived in 1981 by the present head Keval Arora.
DEBSOC is the debating society.
MUSOC is the club for classical and light music.
FAPS organises creative work in fine arts and photography.
Sensation is the dance society.
Film Society exposes students to cinematic work and critical perspectives on cinema.
The SPIC MACAY chapter of the college co-ordinates with the parent body to organise cultural performance by artists of national eminence. Santoor maestro Padmashree Pandit, Bhajan Sapori, Ustad Imrat Khan, Pandit Debu Chaudhuri, among others, have given performances.
The departments of the college hold co-curricular activities through their societies. They range from discussions, talks and seminars to inter-college competitive events and festivals.
Women's Development Cell (WDC): Parivartan, the college WDC, is a forum for debate and discussion of gender-related issues. It organises film shows, workshops and other events on issues such as gender stereotyping, discrimination and violence. The society provides the services of a trained counselor.
Avenues: The placement cell of Kirori Mal College helps securing jobs for students.
National Cadet Corps (NCC): Kirori Mal's NCC wing has a training and cultural calendar. The college has coed facilities for NCC training.
National Service Scheme (NSS): The college implements the National Service Scheme in force at the University Of Delhi. Organisation of blood donation camps and literacy campaigns are annual features of the college NSS chapter.
The Society for the Physically Challenged, formed in 2006, deals with problems faced by the physically challenged at college. It promotes academic, cultural and sports activities amongst the physically challenged and organizes an annual cultural festival. It counsels students on their problems and prospects.
Student union: KMCSU (Kirori Mal College Students` Union) is an elected body of students which represents the whole of the students of college in the college affairs. The Student Body elections are held every year.
- Amitabh Bachchan - actor
- Satish Kaushik - Indian film director, producer and actor
- Shakti Kapoor - actor
- Divyendu Sharma - actor
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda - actor
- Siddharth Narayan - actor
- Ravi Baswani - film actor
- Sushant Singh - film and television actor
- Vijay Raaz - film actor
- Prashant Narayanan - actor
- Manish Chaudhury - film and television actor
- G.P. Koirala - Prime Minister of Nepal
- Naveen Patnaik -Indian politician, Chief Minister of Odisha, India and the chief of Biju Janata Dal, a regional political party in Odisha. He is a writer and has published three books
- Madanlal Khurana - former Chief Minister of Delhi
- Pravesh Verma, Delhi politician
- Rangarajan Kumaramangalam -politician
- Sanjivan Lal - film maker
- Abhay Kumar - poet, artist and diplomat
- M.S. Kohli - Indian mountaineer
- Dinesh Thakur - theatre director
- Krishna Kumar Kunnath, playback singer popularly known as KK
- Kabir Khan - film maker
- Saeed Naqvi - journalist
- Manish Makhija - VJ
- Parikrama - band
- Habib Faisal - Hindi screenwriter and director
- Jonathan "Ulta-Pulta Nitin" Brady
- Atul Chhikkara
- Vikram Singh - singer
- Pradeep Antil
- Faisal Ahmed Khan
- Vivek Tewari - film director
- M. S. Krishnan -Chair of Business Information Technology at the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business
- Sargun Mehta - television actress
- Harbans Mukhia - Indian historian
- Ali Abbas Zafar -film director
- Massoud Khalili
- Justice Raghuvendra Singh Rathore
- Himanshu Sharma- screenwriter
- Vijay Krishna Acharya - Hindi screenwriter and director
- Padmavathy Bandopadhyay - first woman Air Marshal of Indian Air Force
- Rajshekhar -Indian lyricist
- Mrityunjay Kumar Singh
- Professor Sydney R Rebeiro
- Dr. E. Siva Subramaniam Iyer
- Rajinder Nath - Theatre Director
- Notable Faculty
- Dr. Sarup Singh (ex-VC, University of Delhi. Also, Governor of Gujrat and Kerala)
- Prof. Frank Thakurdass
- Dr. Krishna Kumar
- Dr. Badri Raina,
- Dr. Hiren Gohain
- Kirori Mal College, University of Delhi.
- "Theatre enthusiasts flock to Kirori Mal". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 7 July 2012.
- Ghosh, Abantika (Jun 22, 2006). "All the world's a stage at DU". The Times of India.
- Kirori Mal College: Institute of the Week
- Kirori Mal College Official Site
- Delhi University Official Website