Kirsten Klein (born 1945) is a Danish photographer who since the mid-1970s has lived on the island of Mors. She has become one of Denmark's foremost landscape photographers, developing a highly characteristic, somewhat melancholic style, frequently achieved by employing older photographic techniques.
Born in Stockholm, she completed her photographic studies in 1966. From 1967, she travelled widely, in particular to the United States, Central and South America, and later, to Ireland and Iceland. In 1976, she settled on the Danish island of Mors in northern Jutland.
It was on Mors where, inspired by the island's landscape, she developed her characteristic style which has continued to evolve ever since: sensitive, poetic and often melancholy depictions of landscapes, marked by the changing seasons, the weather, human cultivation and the unending effects of nature itself. The sea is also a recurring theme: she has specialized in photographing the coasts of the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Her work takes us on a kind of romantic, religious journey through nature.
In her photography, Klein looks for the moments that have a touch of eternity in them. She looks for the timelessness of thousand-year-old tree trunks or stone formations which testify to the landscape's slow topographical development. In this context, nature is revealed as an organic whole, hardly touched by mankind.
She was awarded the Thorvald Bindesbølls medal in 1994 and is the only female photographer in Denmark to be awarded a lifelong grant from the Danish Arts Foundation.
- Klein, Kirsten (Text: Finn Thrane, Translation: Amy Lightfoot) "Det evige nu / The eternal present", Sophienholm, KunstCentret Silkeborg Bad, Denmark, 2007, 79 pp, parallel text in Danish and English. ISBN 978-87-92079-02-2.
- Klein, Kirsten, "Spor af tid på Mors", Morsø Kunstforening af 1961, 2007, 36 pp, ISBN 978-87-982243-4-1.
- Kirsten Klein. From Den store Danske. (Danish) Retrieved 6 February 2010.
- Mette Sandbye, "Kirsten Klein" from Weilbachs Kunstnerleksikon. (Danish) Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Astrid la Cour, "Tæt på evigheden i nuet", in Berlinske Tidene, 22 November 2007. (Danish). Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Kirsten Klein udstiller på Museet for Fotokunst. From Kulturplakaten. (Danish). Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- Lars Olde Knippel, Fuglefri med æren. From kpn.dk. (Danish). Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Motivering for medaljemodtagelse", Akademiraadet. (Danish) Retrieved 5 June 2012.