Kisan Kanya (1937 film)
||An automated process has detected links on this page on the local or global blacklist.|
|Directed by||Moti B. Gidvani|
|Produced by||Ardeshir Irani|
|Written by||Saadat Hasan Manto|
|Running time||137 min|
Kisan Kanya was a 1937 Hindi feature film which was directed by Moti B. Gidvani and produced by Ardeshir Irani of Imperial Pictures. It is largely remembered by the Indian public on account of it being India's first indigenously made colour film.
Film pioneer Ardeshir Irani, who had produced notable films as Nala Damayanti (1920) which was India's first international co-production (with Italy) and India's first talkie Alam Ara (1931) conceived the idea of producing a color film. The result of his efforts was the color film Kisan Kanya made with the Cinecolor process whose process rights Irani had obtained from an American company.
V. Shantaram had earlier produced a Marathi film Sairandhri (1933) which had scenes in color. However, the film was processed and printed in Germany Kisan Kanya was, therefore, India's first indigenously made color film.
Kisan Kanya was based on a novel by Saadat Hasan Manto and focussed on the plight of poor farmers. The story revolved on the life of a poor peasant Ram (Nisar) who was being ill-treated by his landlord Ghani. Eventually, Ghani is murdered and Ram becomes the prime suspect in the eyes of the public. The film performed moderately at the box-office.
- The first Indian color film to be made entirely in India (the earlier Sairandhri (1933) was processed and printed in Germany). This film was also more favorably received than its predecessor.
- "First Color Film Made in India". colorsofindia.com. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "Know more about Hindi cinema". rediff.com. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- Ganti, Tejaswini (2004). Bollywood: A Guidebook to Popular Hindi Cinema. Routledge. p. 208. ISBN 0415288533.
- "The Early Films (1930s-1960s)". culturopedia.com. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- Subir Ghosh. "The firsts in Indian cinema". culturopedia.com. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "Ardeshir Irani, Indian film maker". indianetzone.com. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- Encyclopædia Britannica; Gulzar, Govind Nihalani, Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopedia of Hindi cinema. Encyclopædia Britannica (India) Pvt Ltd. p. 52. ISBN 8179910660.
- "First in India". culturopedia.com. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "A navrang of Shantaram's films". Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "Plot summary from the IMDB entry for Kisan Kanya". IMDB. Retrieved 2008-04-29.