|• Chairman LC5||Philemon Mateke PhD|
|Elevation||6,200 ft (1,890 m)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|Time zone||East African time|
Kisoro is located approximately 43 kilometres (27 mi), by road, west of Kabale, the largest town in the sub-region. This location lies approximately 460 kilometres (290 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. Kisoro lies east of Rumangabo and the Virunga Mountains, in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The coordinates of the town are:1°17'06.0"S, 29°41'06.0"E (Latitude:-1.2850; Longitude:29.6850).
Kisoro is located in an idyllic setting under the peaks of the Mufumbiro Mountains which are part of the Virunga Mountains and home to the rare Mountain Gorilla. Because of this, Kisoro has become a magnet to tourists. Mountainous scenery, Lake Mutanda, mountain gorillas, colorful markets, and volcano trekking provide an array of activities for visitors to participate in. It is the nearest town to the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park and is the access town for those traveling to Rwanda or the Democratic Republic of the Congo for gorilla tracking in the Parc Des Volcans or the Parc Des Virunga.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Kisoro at about 11,330. The Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 12,700 in 2010. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Kisoro at 12,900. In 2014, the national population census estimated the population of the town at 17,561.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located within the town limits or near its edges:
- The headquarters of Kisoro District Administration
- The offices of Kisoro Town Council
- Kisoro Central Market
- Kisoro Airport - Administered by the Uganda Civil Aviation Authority
- Kisoro District Hospital - A 160 bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- A branch of Crane Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- Mgahinga Gorilla National Park - For viewing mountain gorillas and the Virunga Mountains
- Lake Mutanda - Located approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi), by road, north of Kisoro.
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park - For viewing mountain gorillas.
- How To Get Gorilla Trekking Permits in Uganda
- UBOS, . (29 November 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- "Road Distance Between Kabale And Kisoro With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Kisoro With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Kisoro At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- UTP, . "Overview of Kisoro Town, Uganda". Uganda Travel Planner (UTP). Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Kisoro In 2002, 2010 And 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- Kisoro Travel Guide
- Google Map of Kisoro Town
- Sanitation in Kisoro Town
- Heritage and Traditions of the Bafumbira
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Kisoro.|