Kiss Me thru the Phone
|"Kiss Me Thru the Phone"|
|Single by Soulja Boy featuring Sammie|
|from the album iSouljaBoyTellem|
|Released||November 26, 2008|
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B, pop rap|
|Label||Stacks on Deck/Collipark/HHH/Interscope|
|Writer(s)||DeAndre Way, James Scheffer, David Siegel|
|Soulja Boy singles chronology|
"Kiss Me Thru the Phone" is a song from hip-hop artist Soulja Boy released as the second single from his 2008 album iSouljaBoyTellem. It was the best-selling single from the album, reaching #3 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, #1 on the U.S. Rap Charts, the top ten in the United Kingdom, in Canada, on the U.S. Billboard Pop 100, and in New Zealand.
R&B singer Chris Brown was Soulja Boy's first choice to sing the hook, but turned down the offer. Soulja Boy then tried to sing it on his own with Auto-Tune but found it unacceptable. "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" was 2009's eighth best selling single with over 5.7 million copies sold worldwide.
Chart performance and sales
"Kiss Me Thru the Phone" has become highly successful for both Soulja Boy and Sammie on the charts. The single peaked at number 12 on the Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart. The song then hit number one on the Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles on the week of January 3, 2009. The song later debuted at #71 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on the week of January 10, 2009 and so far peaked at #3, making it Soulja Boy's second top five hit on the US charts since 2007's "Crank That". Also it would eventually start to chart on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs currently in the top ten at #4. The song has also debuted at #71 on the Canadian Hot 100 and has peaked at #10. The song has reached number 1 on Hot Rap Tracks. The video ranked at #14 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2009 countdown. The song has sold over 2,261,000 digital downloads in the United States, becoming his second song to reach the two million mark in downloads, the first being "Crank That".
In the United Kingdom, "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" debuted on the UK Singles Chart at #63 on May 3, 2009 on downloads alone; the single has since peaked at #6,his second highest entry on the chart after Crank That peaked at #2 in January 2008. It held a position on BBC Radio 1's A-List. To date the single has sold more than 5 million copies worldwide and is one of the best-selling singles of all-time.
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (Main version) - 3:11
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (Instrumental) - 3:11
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (Party Mix) - 3:15
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone"
The music video was shot in New Orleans, Louisiana on December 6, 2008 and on December 8, 2008 in Atlanta, Georgia at the Kelley residence. The video shows Soulja Boy doing his daily routine, when his girlfriend misses him and calls him, and shoots a video of herself making a kissing face on an iPhone and sends it to him.
The video features Sammie and cameos from A-Rab, Ja-Bar, Vistoso Bosses, Vanessa Simmons, Miami Mike, and Dennis Rodman. The music video premiered on December 15, 2008, a day before the album's release. It also peaked #1 on BET's video countdown, 106 & Park and ranked at #16 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2009 countdown.
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Official Remix)" (featuring Sammie and Pitbull)
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Remix)" (featuring Sammie and Karina Pasian)
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Remix)" (featuring Sammie and Steven)
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Remix)" (performed by Scooter Smiff and Jasmine Villegas)
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Remix)" (instrumental remix)
- "Kiss Me Thru the Phone (Cover)" (featuring Catch Hell, Lorelei)
- "Por El Telefono" (performed by reggaeton artist De La Ghetto)
- "Send It to My Phone" (performed by Chingo Bling)
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||39|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||10|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100 Singles)||14|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||2|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||45|
|UK Singles Chart||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
|US Billboard Pop Songs ||5|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs ||4|
|US Billboard Rap Songs ||1|
|End of year chart (2009)||Position|
|Australian Singles Chart||90|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||14|
|UK Singles Chart||66|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||19|
The telephone number, 678-999-8212, given in the song, if dialled from the United States, connects to a message system for the artist. An unsuspecting family in Oldham, Greater Manchester, found themselves inundated with calls from fans in the UK who dialled the number without using the international dialling code prefix for the United States.
- "KISS ME THRU THE PHONE (Legal Title)". BMI Repertoire. Broadcast Music Incorporated. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- Westhoff, Ben (2009-08-19). "Dallas Music - The Five Most Interesting Things You Didn't Know About Soulja Boy - page 1". Dallas Observer. Village Voice Media. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Week Ending May 17, 2009: Three Days Is Plenty For Green Day Yahoo Music Blog (written by Paul Grein): Retrieved May 20, 2009
- Week Ending Aug. 23, 2009: Over 50 And Still On Top Yahoo Music Blog (written by Paul Grein): Retrieved August 26, 2009
- "Australian-charts.com – Soulja Boy – Kiss Me Thru the Phone". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Soulja Boy – Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Lescharts.com – Soulja Boy – Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Charts.org.nz – Soulja Boy – Kiss Me Thru the Phone". Top 40 Singles.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200927 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Soulja Boy – Kiss Me Thru the Phone". Singles Top 60.
- "ARIA Charts - End Of Year Charts - Top 100 Singles 2009". ARIA. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- Rap fans bombard family's phone, BBC News, June 30, 2009.