Kissimmee (Amtrak station)
A sign welcomes passengers to Kissimmee Amtrak station
|Address||111 Dakin Avenue
Kissimmee, FL 34741
|Connections||Lynx bus #4|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Parking||Adjacent to Station|
|Passengers (2012)||48,521 1.5%|
Kissimmee station was originally built as a South Florida Railroad Depot 1883, and was also a junction for the St. Cloud and Sugar Belt Railway and the original Florida Midland Railroad, all three of which were eventually acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. It was replaced by an Atlantic Coast Line Depot in 1910, which is the building that remains to this day. The station was restored in 1976, but suffered some damage to the canopy during the 2004 Atlantic hurricane season that was repaired within two years. Sometime prior to 1990, it also contained a separate Railway Express Agency building, that was previously the site of the original South Florida Railroad depot.
Kissimmee Station is located across from a small Greyhound bus stop on the corner of Dakin Avenue and Thurman Street. Its one platform crosses Dakin Avenue and runs as far west as Monument Avenue. The section of this platform between Monument and Dakin Avenues once ran along a former segment of Thurman Street which is now an apartment complex and parking garage.
Future SunRail service
Kissimmee Amtrak station is planned to be a stop on the planned SunRail commuter rail system by 2016. To accommodate this new service, the station will undergo numerous upgrades, including the addition of a 381 space park and ride lot, bus drop off area and the addition of a second platform and track. These additions are also integrated into the city of Kissimmee's long-range plans for an intermodal center.
- Lynx; #4
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2012, State of Florida" (PDF). Amtrak. December 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Kissimmee, Florida (KIS) - Great American Stations. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Kissimmee Amtrak Station Proposal(SunRail)
- Media related to Kissimmee (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Kissimmee, FL
- Kissimmee Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- September 14, 1999 Photo by Bill Hakkarinen (Amtrak Photo Archives)
- Image from Dynamic Depot Maps
- Kissimmee (KIS)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This Florida train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|