|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|Created by||Phil Mendez|
|Voices of||Ed Gilbert
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Jean Chalopin
|Production company(s)||DIC Entertainment
Saban International (1988)
|Original channel||National Broadcasting Company|
|Original run||September 13, 1986 – August 25, 1990|
Kissyfur is a 1980s animated children's television series which aired on NBC. It is based on the children's book "Kissyfur and His Dad". It was produced by Jean Chalopin & Andy Heyward and created by Phil Mendez for DIC. The series was based on a half-hour NBC prime-time special called Kissyfur: Bear Roots and was followed by three more specials until its Saturday morning debut. The show ran for two seasons.
The show follows the adventures of Gus and Kissyfur, a father and son bear duo who had joined the circus. One day on a circus trip, the train they are riding in derails and the bears escape to a new life in the swamps of Paddlecab County. There, they protect the local swamp's inhabitants from the local bumbling alligators Floyd and Jolene. Kissyfur and his father use the skills they have acquired from the human world to create a boat tour business transporting other animals and their products down the river.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2013)|
- Gus (voiced by Ed Gilbert) - Kissyfur's father, who owns a paddlecab company and taxis the animals from one side of the swamp to the other. He can be a bit bumbling at times, but is a good father.
- Miss Emmie Lou (voiced by Russi Taylor) - A blue bear who wears a flower behind one ear. Is the schoolteacher in the swamp and has a southern accent. She has a cousin named Ernie. Is also sweet on Gus.
- Charles - A warthog and Lenny’s Dad, Charles thinks he has everything figured out most of the time, but is usually more brawn than brains.
- Ralph - A packrat who has a bad habit of stealing things from the residents of Paddlecab County.
- Howie - A mocking bird who can throw his voice and can mimic anything and everyone. This talent often gets him into trouble.
- Uncle Shelby (voiced by Frank Welker) - A wise turtle who is the elder of the swamp
- The Cackle Sisters - Two chicken sisters. One of them talks and is very prim and proper, while the other one just clucks, usually agreeing with whatever her sister says. She is referred to as Claudette.
- Floyd (voiced by Stu Rosen) - An alligator who along with Jolene is always hatching a plan to try and capture the swamp cubs so they can eat them for dinner. Isn’t the brightest, often making dim-witted remarks.
- Jolene (voiced by Terence McGovern) - An alligator who wears a red wig. She and Floyd are always trying to capture the swamp cubs so they can eat them for dinner. She would be considered the brains between the two, but not by much. Has a low tolerance for Floyd’s dim-wittedness, which usually results in her smacking him with her wig.
- Flo (voiced by Marilyn Lightstone) - A smug buzzard.
- Kissyfur (voiced by R.J. Williams) - Gus’s son and the title character of the series. He and his Dad are the newest residents of Paddlecab County. He is an eight year old bear cub who loves to pretend and occasionally gets into trouble with the rest of the cubs.
- Stuckey (voiced by Stu Rosen) - A purple porcupine who is very gloomy. He talks slowly and is the quiet one of the group.
- Beehunnie (voiced by Russi Taylor) - A white bunny who has a crush on Kissyfur, she is the only female swamp cub and tends to act as the voice of reason at times
- Duane (voiced by Neil Ross) - A pig who loves to clean and freaks out if he gets dirty.
- Toot (voiced by Russi Taylor) - A six year old beaver, Toot is the youngest of the swamp cubs. He looks up to and idolizes Kissyfur.
- Lenny (voiced by Lennie Weinrib) - Charles son, Lenny would technically be the bully of the group. He tries to act tough, though this sometimes fails if he’s really scared of something. Enjoys being bossy and pushing the other cubs around. Refers to Kissyfur as “Kissyface.”
- Donna (voice by Russi Taylor) - Miss Emmy Lou's niece.
Specials (Christmas 1985-Summer 1986)
- Bear Roots
- The Birds and the Bears
- The Lady is a Chump
- We Are the Swamp
Season 1 (Fall 1986)
- Home Sweat Home/Pooped Pop
- Bear Who Cried Wolf/Egg McGuffin
- Gatoraid/Basket Case
- Here's the Beef/Jam Wars
- The Incredible Hunk/Double Dare Bear
- Drop Me a Lion/Wishing Box
- Whale of a Tail/Kissyfur P.I.
- The Humans Must Be Crazy/To Tell the Tooth
- Bearly a Bodyguard/The Duck Who Came to Dinner
Season 2 (Fall 1988)
- The Great Swamp Swami/The Shell Game
- Just in Time/Three's a Crowd
- My Fair Lenny/G'Day Gator and G'Bye
- Fork-Tongued Frog/Like Father, Like Son
- Toot's Treasure/Berried Alive
- You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog/Cub's Club
- Stuck on Stuckey/Flipzilla
- Comrade Kissyfur/The New Cub
- Evilfur/See Ya Later, Annie Gator
- Swarm Outside/Halo & Goodbye
- The Ballad of Rebel Racoon/Somethin' Cajun's Cookin'
- Got Those Baby Blues/Home Sweet Swamp
- Weight Not Want Not/The Great Swamp Taxi Race
- Kissyfur Online
- Don Markstein's Toonopedia: Kissyfur
- Kissyfur at the Internet Movie Database
- Kissyfur at TV.com