Kit Carson, Colorado
|Town of Kit Carson, Colorado|
Kit Carson in 2013.
Location in Cheyenne County and the State of Colorado
|Incorporated||July 13, 1931|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||0.6 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.6 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,285 ft (1,306 m)|
|• Density||390/sq mi (170/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0195254|
The historic Town of Kit Carson is a Statutory Town in Cheyenne County, Colorado, United States. The population was 233 at the 2010 United States Census. The town was named in honor of frontiersman Christopher Houston "Kit" Carson.
Kit Carson is located at (38.763999, -102.793843).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 253 people, 113 households, and 64 families residing in the town. The population density was 453.7 people per square mile (174.4/km²). There were 158 housing units at an average density of 283.4 per square mile (108.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 92.49% White, 6.72% from other races, and 0.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.70% of the population.
There were 113 households out of which 24.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.8% were married couples living together, 8.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.5% were non-families. 41.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 25.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 21.3% from 25 to 44, 20.6% from 45 to 64, and 29.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 86.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $19,531, and the median income for a family was $37,500. Males had a median income of $34,375 versus $16,818 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,832. About 6.5% of families and 12.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.4% of those under the age of eighteen and 20.0% of those sixty five or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 176.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kit Carson, Colorado.|