Harington at the 2013 San Diego Comic Con International
|Born||Christopher Catesby Harington
26 December 1986
London, England, UK
Christopher Catesby "Kit" Harington (born 26 December 1986) is an English actor who rose to fame playing the role of Jon Snow, a main character in the series Game of Thrones. He starred as Albert in the original West End production of War Horse.
Harington was born in London, England, and lived there until he was eleven. At age eleven, he moved to Worcester, Worcestershire, England until age eighteen, when he moved back to London. He is the son of David Richard Harington and Deborah Jane (née Catesby), an artist, who named their son after Christopher Marlowe. His uncle is Sir Nicholas John Harington, the 14th Baronet Harington, and his paternal great-grandfather was Sir Richard Harington, the 12th Baronet Harington. Christopher is a descendant of Charles II of England, by his paternal grandmother Lavender Cecilia Denny. Also through his father, Harington descends from politician Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville, bacon merchant T. A. Denny, clergyman Baptist Wriothesley Noel, merchant and politician Peter Baillie, peer William Legge, 4th Earl of Dartmouth, and MP Sir William Molesworth, 6th Baronet. Harington has English, smaller amounts of Welsh, Scottish, and Northern Irish, as well as 1/128th Spanish, ancestry.
Harington attended Southfield Primary School from 1992 to 1998. He then went on to attend Chantry High School from 1998 to 2003. He attended Worcester Sixth Form College, where he studied Drama and Theatre Studies, between 2003 and 2005. He graduated from the Central School of Speech and Drama in 2008.
Before acting, Harington originally wanted to become a journalist, a cameraman or a war correspondent. But later, while still in school, Harington landed the role of Albert in the Olivier Theatre's adaptation of War Horse. The play won two Oliver Awards, which saw Harington receive a great deal of recognition. He was later cast in his second play Posh, a dark ensemble comedy about upper-class men attending Oxford University. In the meantime, Harington landed his first television role as Jon Snow in the hit series Game of Thrones. The show debuted in 2011 to great critical acclaim. Harington's role is largely filmed in Iceland and Northern Ireland and requires Harington to constantly improve his sword fighting skills to contend with the environmental adversities. Harington's made his cinematic debut in 2012 as Vincent in Silent Hill: Revelation 3D. He will appear alongside Jeff Bridges in the upcoming film Seventh Son, currently set for a February 2015 release. He will also voice the villain Eret for the sequel of How to Train Your Dragon. Kit was honored with Actor of the Year at the Young Hollywood Awards 2013, which celebrates the best emerging young talent in film, music and television.
|2011–present||Game of Thrones||Jon Snow||TV series|
|2012||Silent Hill: Revelation 3D||Vincent|
|2014||How To Train Your Dragon 2||Eret (voice)||Post-production|
|2015||Seventh Son||Billy Bradley||awaiting release|
|TBA||Testament of Youth||Roland Leighton||Filming|
2014 Spooks: The Greater Good Will Crombie Filming
|2008–2009||War Horse||Albert Narracott||Olivier Theatre and New London Theatre|
|2010||Posh||Ed Montgomery||Royal Court Theatre|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Game of Thrones||Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor on Television||Nominated|
|2011||Game of Thrones||Scream Award for Best Ensemble||Nominated|
|2011||Game of Thrones||Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Nominated|
- Jace Lacob (April 9, 2012). "Kit Harington on ‘Game of Thrones,’ Fame,". The Daily Beast.
- "Rising Star: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Newcomer Kit Harington". Access Hollywood. April 14, 2011.
- Tara Abell (March 30, 2012). "Game of Thrones Star Kit Harington Loves Iceland, Fears Flying". The Daily Traveller.
- "Kit Harington on Jimmy Kimmel Live PART 1". Jimmy Kimmel Live. 2014-02-18. ABC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0R9gIAT9Nc.
- The Peerage.com
- Nicholas John Harington from Geneall.net retrieved 5 June 2013
- Lavender Cecilia Denny from Geneall.net retrieved 5 June 2013
- "Kit Harington". Royal National Theatre. Accessed 20 January 2010.
- "Interview with Kit Harington". myFanbase. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- The Hollywood News.com retrieved 5 June 2013
- Staff writer (2 July 2009). "Theatre Interview with Kit Harington — The 22-Year-Old Stars in War Horse at the New London Theatre". thelondonpaper. Accessed 20 January 2010.
- Database (undated). "Kit Harington". London Theatre Database. Accessed 20 January 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kit Harington.|