Kit Reed is an American author of both speculative fiction and literary fiction, as well as psychological thrillers under the pseudonym Kit Craig.
Reed was born at San Diego, California. Her first short story - "The Wait" (1958) - was published by Anthony Boucher. She is a Guggenheim Fellow and recipient of a five-year grant literary from the Abraham Woursell Foundation. The New York Times Book Review says this about her short fiction: "Reed has a prose style that's pure dry ice, displayed in dystopian stories that specialize in bitterness and dislocation." The Wall Street Journal says: "The title of Kit Reed's  selection of her own short stories, "The Story Until Now" (Wesleyan, 442 pages, $35), reminds us that although she has been writing award-winning fiction for some 50 years, she's still accelerating. The scope of these 35 stories is immense, their variety unmatched."
Her stories have appeared in venues ranging from The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction to the Yale Review and the Kenyon Review, and have been widely anthologized. Many of her stories are published as feminist science fiction and she has been nominated for the James Tiptree, Jr. Award three times. Her novel, Thinner Than Thou, was given the ALA Alex Award by the YALA. She is Resident Writer at Wesleyan University.
- Mother Isn't Dead She's Only Sleeping (1961)
- At War As Children (1964)
- The Better Part (1967)
- Armed Camps (1969)
- Cry of the Daughter (1971)
- Tiger Rag (1973)
- Captain Grownup (1976)
- The Ballad of T. Rantula (1979)
- Magic Time (1980)
- Fort Privilege (1985)
- The Revenge of the Senior Citizens (1986)
- Blood Fever (1986) [as by Shelley Hyde]
- Catholic Girls (1987)
- Gone (1992) [as by Kit Craig]
- Twice Burned (1993) [as by Kit Craig]
- Little Sisters of the Apocalypse (1994)
- Strait (1995) [as by Kit Craig]
- J. Eden (1996)
- Closer (1997) [as by Kit Craig]
- Some Safe Place (1998) [as by Kit Craig]
- Short Fuse (1999) [as by Kit Craig]
- @expectations (2000)
- Thinner Than Thou (2004)
- Bronze (2005)
- The Baby Merchant (2006)
- The Night Children (2008)
- Enclave (2009)
- Son of Destruction (2012)
- Mister Da V. and Other Stories (1967)
- The Killer Mice (1976)
- Other Stories and...The Attack of the Giant Baby (1981)
- Thief of Lives (1992)
- Weird Women, Wired Women (1998)
- Seven for the Apocalypse (1999)
- Dogs of Truth : New and Uncollected Stories (2005)
- What Wolves Know (2011)
- The Story Until Now: A Great Big Book of Stories (2013)
- Fat (1974)
Kit Reed has published over a hundred short stories. A list of her short stories can be found at her bibliographic entry in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database and also in the Laboratory of Fantastic.
- Doctors by Erich Segal
- Cordelia Underwood, Or the Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League, by Van Reid
- Reservation Road, by John Burnham Schwartz
- The Better Man, by Anita Nair
- SFFWorld Interview
- Bookshelf, Genre Neutral. Wall Street Journal. April 12, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- Locus Index to SF awards
- Review in The New York Times, September 18, 1988. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Review in The New York Times, July 26, 1998. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Review in The New York Times, September 13, 1998. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Review in The New York Times, August 13, 2000. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Official website
- Kit Reed at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Kit Reed's bibliography
- Story Behind Son of Destruction - Online Essay by Kit Reed