Volume 1 of the Kiteretsu Daihyakka manga.
|Genre||Science fiction, comedy-drama|
|Written by||Fujiko Fujio|
|Published by||Family Light Association|
|Magazine||Kodomo no Hikari|
|Original run||April 1974 – July 1977|
|Shin Kiteretsu Daihyakka (New Kiteretsu Encyclopedia)|
|Written by||Fujiko Fujio|
|Illustrated by||Michiaki Tanaka|
|Original run||May 1988 – February 1994|
|Live-action television film|
|Released||November 2, 1987|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiro Katsuoka
|Music by||Shunsuke Kikuchi|
|Original run||March 27, 1988 – June 9, 1996|
|Kiteretsu Daihyakka: Bouken Ouedo Juraki|
|Released||July 15, 1994|
|Kiteretsu Daihyakka: Chōjikū Sugoroku|
|Developer||Fill in Cafe|
|Released||January 27, 1995|
Kiteretsu Daihyakka (キテレツ大百科?) (Also known as Kiteretsu Encyclopedia or only Kiteretsu) is a science fiction manga series by Fujiko Fujio aka Hiroshi Fujimoto which ran in the children's magazine Kodomo no Hikari from April 1974 to July 2000. The manga was later made into a 331-episode anime TV series which ran on Fuji TV from March 27, 1988 to June 9, 1996. This series is currently airing worldwide on Hungama TV, Disney XD, Cartoon Network Korea and Pogo TV as of 2014.
There are many similarities in the style and appearance of the main cast to that of Doraemon, which was also created by Hiroshi. However, the content of the story between the two series are entirely different.
The protagonist is a scientific genius grade school boy named Kiteretsu, who has built a companion robot named Korosuke. He frequently travels in time with his friends and Korosuke in the time machine he invented. Kiteretsu is more like Nobita Nobi but Kiteretsu is an intelligent boy, whereas Nobita is a silly, foolish boy and worst in studies. Miyoko is a girl in his neighborhood who is his friend. She is just like Shizuka Minamoto. Tongari, another of his friends, surprisingly happens to share some similar traits of Suneo Honekawa . Buta Gorilla (Kumada Kaoru) is a typical neighborhood bully, whose behaviour is similar to Gian's Takeshi Goda, except that he often antagonizes Korosuke. There are more characters such as Taeko Sakurai and Satsuki Hanamaru, causing this to be a "self-parody" of Doraemon.
- 1 Setting
- 2 Kite Family
- 3 Nonohana Family
- 4 Kumada Family
- 5 Tongari Family
- 6 Karino Family and Karino's friends
- 7 Satsuki family
- 8 Sasaki family
- 9 Characters at Kiteretsu's school
- 10 Ukhera family
- 11 Sakurai Family
- 12 Manga
- 13 TV drama
- 14 Games
- 15 Anime
- 16 External links
The show is set in the fictional Hyōno-chō, which is set in an ambiguous location featuring a rural-style train station, a department store, and a shopping district. The fictional neighboring town of Urano-chō is where Miyoko's aunt lives. In the anime, Miyoko speaks in Toyama dialect which attributed to that town.
The fictional Hyakujōshima is the location of the Tongari family's vacation home. A family of kabocha farmers lives there and takes care of the place. The island is sparsely populated because many people move from it. It is accessible from Tokyo via airplane and ferry.
Two fictional schools are mentioned in the series: Hyōno Elementary and Takao University. Hyōno Elementary is the public school Kiteretsu and his friends attend. During summer vacation, one of the lunch ladies uses the school to teach piano lessons. There is also a rumor that the school is haunted.
Benzō-san was able to enter the university after attempting it six times during the series. Ten years from the time period of the series beginning, Kiteretsu, Miyoko, and Tongari enter this university to study further.
Eiichi Kite aka. 'Kiteretsu' is a 10 year old boy who lives in Tokyo city. He usually wears a light blue T-shirt and a dark blue trouser. He also wears a green shoes, white socks and a red-yellow themed cap with K written on it.He is weak in sports. He reads the Daiyhakka and invents gadgets from past
Korosuke is Kiteretsu's assistant who usually ends his sentences with ~nari" . He usually wears an artificial samurai sword . He is an invention in the encyclopedia.
Einoshin Kite aka. Kiteretsu-Sai is Kiteretsu's ancestor who lived in the Edo period. He wrote the encyclopedia and told Kiteretsu to burn the encyclopedia's fifth edition.
Michiko Kite is Kiteretsu's mother. She graduated from Tokyo University. She always gives her name to lucky draw.
Eitarou Kite is Kiteretsu's father he always leaves his packet in the taxi. His office is on the seventh floor.
Kiteretsu's Uncle who lives in a Village
Miyoko Nonohana aka. 'Miyoko-chan' is a 10 year old girl. She always wears a pink frock with pink shoes and white socks. She likes to play piano and also gets good marks in studies.
She usually plays piano and helps Miyoko while cooking. She has Glossophobia.
He was before working as a real estate agent in Tokyo city until he had been transferred to Hakodate, Hokkaido.
Akihiko Nonohana is Miyoko's older brother who studies as a university student in Hakodate, Hokkaido.
Kaoru Kumada aka. 'Butagorilla' is an 11 year old boy who loves vegetables and fruits. He usually wears a blue T-shirt with stripes, grey trousers, blue shoes and a blue and white cap. He often antagonizes Korosuke and Tongari.
Sayuri Kumada is Kaoru's mother who beats Butagorilla. She also makes some joke with Butagorilla for e.g. when Butagorilla said "eat vegetables to make your eye like me, I don't have any number ( I refers to Butagorilla ) his mother said there are no number in your report card too.
Kumahachi Kumada is Kaoru's father he usually plays Korean chess and even buys lottery tickets but never wins.
Torashichi Kumada is Kaoru's uncle who migrated to Brazil.
Kumaichirou Kumada is Kaoru's uncle who was fighter pilot and retired and started a honey business.
Minori Kumada is Kaoru's son in the future.
Kouji Tongari aka. 'Tongari' is a 10 year old boy who is from a rich family. He usually wears red T-shirt, yellow trouser, yellow shoes and a pair of white socks.
Kouichi Tongari is a successful businessman he likes to play golf. He also smokes. He is Tongari's father.
Takako Tongari is Tongari's mother. She cooks excellent cake.
Karino Family and Karino's friends
Benzou Karino aka. 'MR. Benzou' is a university student who failed 6 times. He wears a black student dress and a spectacle.
Yone Karino is Benzou's mother who lives in Yamagata
Osugi is Yone's friend who always helps Tongari.
Heikichi is Yone's friend who is a sweet potato seller.
Ben is Mr Benzou's pet dog.
Arakira is Benzou's friend.
Yuki Uehra is Benzou's girlfriend.
Satsuki Hanamaru is a tall 10 year old girl wearing Jeans pant and a white T-shirt with red and orange stripes.
Satsuki's mother works in vegetable shop in morning and theatric group in the evening.
Satsuki's father runs a drama group called Hanamaru drama group
Sasaki is Kiteretsu's class teacher. He wears a blue suit and pant.
Sasaki's wife usually wears a brown pant and T-shirt.
Kazuma Sasaki is Sasaki's son.
Characters at Kiteretsu's school
Takako Segawa is Kiteretsu's classmate who is a popular girl.
The Principal calls Butagorilla sometimes for help.
Konchi is a boy who sits back of Butagorilla.
Mia is popular girl who exchanged diary from Kiteretsu.
Mia's father is a dentist in the hospital.
Taeko Sakurai is girl friend of Butagorilla.
Taeko's mother lives in a log house with Taeko
- Kiteretsu Daihyakka vol. 1–3 (Tentōmushi Comics, Shogakukan, 1977)
- Kiteretsu Daihyakka vol. 1–4 (Fujiko Fujio Land, Chūō Kōron Shinsha, 1984)
- Kiteretsu Daihyakka vol. 1–2 (Shogakukan Koro Koro Bunko, Shogakukan, 1984)
- My First BIG Kiteretsu vol. 1–2 (Shogakukan, 2003)
- On February 23, 1990, Epoch released an action game for the Famicom.
- On July 15, 1994, another action game, Kiteretsu Daihyakka: Bouken Ouedo Juraki, was released by Video System for the Game Boy.
- A board game titled Kiteretsu Daihyakka: Chōjikū Sugoroku was released on January 27, 1995 by Video System for the Super Famicom.
- Another game was made for the Sega Pico.
- Eiichi Kite (Kiteretsu): Toshiko Fujita
- Korosuke: Mami Koyama→Kazuko Sugiyama
- Miyoko Nonoka: Yuriko Yamamoto→Mayumi Shō→Chieko Honda
- Miyoko's mother: Kimie Hangai→Yuka Ōno→Miyako Endō
- Miyoko's father: Yūki Satō
- Akihiko Nonoka: Keiichi Nanba→Hiroshi Kamiya
- Buta Gorilla (Kaoru Kumada): Hiroshi Ōtake→Naoki Tatsuta
- Kumahachi Kumada: Takeshi Aono
- Sayuri Kumada: Noriko Uemura
- Kōji Togari (Tongari): Ryū Manatsu→Yūji Mitsuya
- Kōichi Togari: Sanshirō Niita→Hirohiko Kakegawa→Masato Hirano
- Takako Togari: Yuka Ōno
- Benzō Karino (Benzō-san): Kaneta Kimotsuki
- Michiko Kite: Yuri Nashiwa→Sumi Shimamoto
- Kiteretsu Kite: Kaneta Kimotsuki→Yusaku Yara (adult: Katsuji Mori; youth: Daisuke Sakaguchi)
- Eitarō Kite: Hideyuki Tanaka→Yusaku Yara
- Sasaki-sensei: Masaharu Satō→Masato Hirano
- Otonashi: Chie Satō→Yumi Touma
- Takako Segawa: Miyoko Aoba→Kimie Hangai
- Vice-Principal: Michihiro Ikemizu
- Sasaki-sensei's wife: Miyoko Aoba
- Kazuma Sasaki: unknown
- Kimiko Uehara (Yūki Uehara in the anime): Naho Yoshida→Miyako Endō
- Konchi: Noriko Uemura→Chie Satō
- Taeko Sakurai: Mayumi Seto→Yūka Koyama→Aya Hisakawa
- Satsuki Hanamaru: Wakana Yamazaki
- Yone Karino: Keiko Yamamoto→Haru Endō→Michiyo Yanagisawa
- Osugi: Hiroko Emori
- Heikichi: Kinpei Azusa→Ryōichi Tanaka
- Yoshie Sakurai: Chiyoko Kawashima→Sumi Shimamoto
- Kikunojō Hanamaru: Bin Shimada→Yukimasa Kishino
- Ikue Hanamaru: Sumi Shimamoto
- Ben: Hiroshi Ōtake→unknown
- Mōretsu Toki: unknown
- Mōretsu Kazu: Yūsuke Numata
- Koronoshin: unknown
- Mamekoro: Naoko Watanabe→Fushigi Yamada
- Planning: Taihei Ishikawa→Kenji Shimizu (Fuji TV), Yoshirō Kataoka (Asatsu)
- Script: Shun'ichi Yukimuro, Takashi Yamada, Toshiyuki Aoshima, Satoshi Namiki, Tadaaki Yamazaki
- General Animation Directors: Tsukasa Tannai, Kazuyuki Kobayashi, Hajime Watanabe, Nobuyuki Tokinaga, Shōjurō Yamauchi
- Art Director: Shichirō Kobayashi→Satoshi Shibata
- Background Artists: Masahide Katayama, Akio Shimada, Makoto Shiraishi, Satoshi Shibata, Naoko Osakabe
- Backgrounds: Kobayashi Production, Studio Kanon
- Finish Animation: Sendai Gallop, Toy House, Studio Killy→Dōtomo Dōga
- Director of Photography: Shigeo Sugimura (credited as Yasuhiro Shimizu for part of it)→Hiroaki Edamitsu
- Photography ·Animation Work: Gallop
- Film: Eastman→Fujifilm→Kodak Color Film
- Music Director: Nobuhiro Komatsu
- Music: Shunsuke Kikuchi
- Director: Hiro Katsuoka→Keiji Hayakawa
- Special Effects: Norimichi Yoshino→Yoshitaka Shishikai
- Editors: Shūichi Kakesu, Yoshiyuki Wada→Kazuhiko Seki, Yūji Itō
- Film Developing: Imagica
- Audio Recording: Sadashi Kuramoto
- Titles: Maki Pro
- Executive Producer: Mikio Wakana
- Communications Desk: Hideo Adachi
- Planning Support: Staff 21
- Sound Production: Seiji Kikaku
- Sound Producer: Yōsuke Kuroda
- Sound Effects: Yōzō Kataoka
- Theme Song: Shigeru Miyashita
- Publicity: Yumiko Shigeoka→Kyōko Nasugawa→Yoshiko Kawasaki→Masahide Takahashi→Momoko Konaka→Tomoko Kumagai (Fuji TV)
- Production: Fuji TV, Asatsu
Opening theme songs
Listing includes the song title followed by the episodes and the singer in parentheses.
- Kiteretsu Daihyakka no Uta (90-minute special on November 2, 1987, Mitsuko Horie)
Ending theme songs
Listing includes the song title followed by the episodes and the singer in parentheses.
- Korosuke Machi wo Yuku (90-minute special, Kyōko Yamada)
- Magical Boy Magical Heart (ep. 1–16, Kaori Moritani)
- Race no Cardigan (ep. 17–24, Kaori Sakagami)
- Korosuke Rock (ep. 25–60, Junko Uchida)
- Felt no Pencase (ep. 61–86, Megumi Mori)
- Merry ha tada no Tomodachi (ep. 87–108, Toshiko Fujita)
- Hajimete no Chū (ep. 109–170, 213–290, 311–331, Anshin Papa)
- Happy Birthday (ep. 171–212, Yuka)
- Uwasa no Kiss (ep. 291–310, TOKIO)
- Kiteretsu Daihyakka (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Official Cartoon Network Korea page