|Elevation||760 m (2,490 ft)|
|Population (2011 Estimate.)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Kitgum is a municipality in Kitgum District, in Northern Uganda. The town is administered by Kitgum Town Council, an Urban Local Government within Kitgum District Administration. It is the largest metropolitan area in Kitgum District and the district headquarters are located there.
Kitgum is bordered by Padibe to the north, Mucwini to the northeast, Kitgum Matidi to the east, Acholibur to the south and Pajimu to the west. The town is located approximately 108 kilometres (67 mi), by road, northeast of Gulu, the largest city in the sub-region. This location lies approximately 460 kilometres (290 mi), by road, north of north of Uganda's capital, Kampala. The coordinates of the town are:03 17 20N, 32 52 40E (Latitude:3.2888; Longitude:32.8777).
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Kitgum at about 41,820. In 2008 the Ugandan Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 57,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Kitgum at 59,700.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located within or near the town of Kitgum:
- Kitgum Hospital - A 200 bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- St. Joseph's Hospital, Kitgum - A 300-bed community hospital, administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gulu
- Headquarters of Kitgum District Administration
- The offices of Kitgum Town Council
- Kitgum Central Market
- Irene Gleeson Foundation Headquarters - The first school started by Irene Gleeson currently serving over 3,000 students.
- Bomah Hotel Kitgum - Affiliated with Bomah Hotel Gulu. Both owned by Hilary Onek.
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of DFCU Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- Kitgum Airport - A civilian airport, administered by Kitgum Town Council.
- Fugly's Kitgum, Bar, Restaurant & Accommoation
- "Distance Between Gulu And Kitgum With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Kitgum, With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- UBOS, . "Estimated Population of Kitgum In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- ., . (2008). "Profile of Kitgum Town". Strollingguides.co.uk. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Newvision, Archive (9 April). "Onek Changes Gulu Sky-Line". New Vision.
- Epidemic of Hepatitis E in Kitgum and Environs
- "Kitgum", Strolling Guides. Some photographs and information on Kitgum Town