|Elevation||760 m (2,490 ft)|
|Population (2014 Census)|
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Kitgum is a municipality in Kitgum District, in Northern Uganda. The town is administered by Kitgum Town Council, an Urban Local Government within Kitgum District Administration. It is the largest metropolitan area in Kitgum District and the district headquarters are located there.
Kitgum is bordered by Padibe to the north, Mucwini to the northeast, Kitgum Matidi to the east, Acholibur to the south and Pajimu to the west. The town is located approximately 108 kilometres (67 mi), by road, northeast of Gulu, the largest city in the sub-region. This location lies approximately 460 kilometres (290 mi), by road, north of north of Uganda's capital, Kampala.
On 27 August 2014, the national population census put the population of Kitgum town at 44,604.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located within or near the town of Kitgum:
- Kitgum Hospital - A 200 bed public hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- St. Joseph's Hospital, Kitgum - A 300-bed community hospital, administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Gulu
- Headquarters of Kitgum District Administration
- The offices of Kitgum Town Council
- Kitgum Central Market
- Irene Gleeson Foundation Headquarters - The first school started by Irene Gleeson currently serving over 3,000 students.
- Bomah Hotel Kitgum - Affiliated with Bomah Hotel Gulu. Both owned by Hilary Onek.
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of DFCU Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- Kitgum Airport - A civilian airport, administered by Kitgum Town Council.
- Fugly's Kitgum, Bar, Restaurant & Accommoation
- Travis Motel, Bar, Restaurant and Perfect Accommodation
- UBOS, . (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Distance Between Gulu And Kitgum With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Kitgum, With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Strolling, Guides (2008). "Profile of Kitgum Town". Strollingguides.co.uk. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Newvision, Archive (9 April 2010). "Onek Changes Gulu Sky-Line". New Vision (Kampala).
- Epidemic of Hepatitis E in Kitgum and Environs
- "Kitgum", Strolling Guides. Some photographs and information on Kitgum Town