|Industry||Computer software, Large Data Visualization, Biomedical Imaging, Quality Software Process, Informatics, Data Publishing, Computer Vision, Open Source|
|Founded||New York (1998)|
|Headquarters||Clifton Park, New York, USA|
|Number of locations||Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Lyon,France|
|Key people||Will Schroeder, President & CEO
Ken Martin, Chairman & CFO
Charles Law, VP Strategic Growth
Lisa Avila, VP Commercial Operations
Bill Hoffman, VP and CTO
Rick Avila, Sr. Director of Healthcare Solutions
Stephen Aylward, Director of Medical Imaging
Berk Geveci, Director of Scientific Computing
Anthony Hoogs, Director of Computer Vision
|Products||High-performance computing, visualization and storage|
Kitware, Inc. is a technology company headquartered in Clifton Park, New York. The company specializes in the research and development of open-source software in the fields of computer vision, medical imaging, visualization, 3D data publishing and technical software development. In addition to software development, the company offers other products and services such as books, technical support, consulting and customized training courses.
Kitware is one of the fastest growing companies in the country, having been included on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing companies for the past three years:
- 2008: Overall Rank of 3,026, Percentage Growth of 117.3%
- 2009: Overall Rank of 3,330, Percentage Growth of 76.1%
- 2010: Overall Rank of 1,655, Industry Rank of 113, Percentage Growth of 172% 
- 2011: Overall Rank of 1,572, Percent Growth of 175% 
- 2012: Overall Rank of 1,245, Percent Growth of 248%, 5-Time Honoree 
- Kitware, Inc. Headquarters: Clifton Park, NY (28 Corporate Drive, Clifton Park, NY 12065)
- Kitware, Inc. Branch Office: Chapel Hill, NC (101 East Weaver Street, Carrboro, NC 27510)
- Kitware, Inc. Branch Office: Santa Fe, NM (1012 Marquez Place, Suite 304B, Santa Fe, NM 87505)
- Kitware SAS Headquarters: Lyon, France (26 rue Louis Guérin, 69100 Lyon, France)
History of Kitware
The company was founded in 1998 by Will Schroeder, Ken Martin, Lisa Avila, Charles Law and Bill Hoffman to support the Visualization Toolkit (VTK). VTK was initially created in 1993 by Will, Ken and Bill Lorensen as companion software to “The Visualization Toolkit: An Object-Oriented Approach to 3D Graphics,” originally published by Prentice-Hall. As VTK was released open source, a user community developed around the software and the founders of Kitware took this opportunity to start the business. With time, the company expanded its focus and offerings to include development in other areas such as biomedical imaging, large data visualization, quality software process, informatics, and data management.
The consistent growth of the company has enabled the opening of three additional offices. The Chapel Hill, North Carolina office opened in 2005, Kitware SAS, the European office, opened in 2010 in Lyon, France and the Santa Fe, New Mexico office opened in 2012.
Kitware actively contributes to and maintains several leading Open Source software packages, including:
- VTK: The Visualization Toolkit
- ITK: The Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit
- CMake: Cross-platform build management tool
- CDash: Web-based test reporting dashboard
- ParaView: Parallel visualization application
- MIDAS: Scientific data management tool
- IGSTK: Image guided surgery toolkit
- Insight Journal
Areas of Expertise
Kitware contributes to the fields of scientific visualization, medical imaging, computer vision, data management, and informatics. The company employs an agile development process to create high-quality software.
Recent publications highlighting the company's work include:
Medical Imaging 
- Bayesian Regularization Applied to Ultrasound Strain Imaging by McCormick M., Rubert N., Varghese T
- Agile methods for open source safety-critical software by Gary K., Enquobahrie A., Ibanez L., Cheng P., Yaniv Z., Cleary K., Kokoori S., Muffih B., Heidenreich J.
- Sensors Management in Robotic Neurosurgery: the ROBOCAST project by Vaccarella A., Comparetti M., Enquobahrie A., Ferrigno G., De Momi E.
- The Need for Open Imaging Archives: How Open Imaging Archives Benefit Algorithm Development by R. Avila
- Streaming-Enabled Parallel Data Flow Framework in the Visualization Toolkit by Vo H.T., Comba J.L., Geveci B., Silva C.T.
- Verifying Scientific Simulations via Comparative and Quantitative Visualization by Ahrens J., Heitmann K., Peterson M., Woodring J., Williams S., Fasel P., Ahrens C., Hsu C., Geveci B.
- Multi-Resolution Streaming in VTK and ParaView by DeMarle D., Woodring J., Ahrens J.
- A Large-scale Benchmark Dataset for Event Recognition in Surveillance Video by Oh S., Hoogs A., Perera A., Cuntoor N., Chen C-C., Lee J.T., Mukherjee S., Aggarwal J.K., Lee H., Davis L., Swears E., Wang X., Ji Q., Reddy K., Shah M., Vondrick C., Pirsiavash H., Ramanan D., Yuen J., Torralba A., Song B., Fong A., Roy-Chowdhury A., Desai M.
- Vehicle Surveillance with a Generic, Adaptive, 3D Vehicle Model by Leotta M., Mundy J.
- Augmenting aerial earth maps with dynamic information from videos by Kim K., Oh S., Lee J., Essa I.
- Remote Visualization of Large Datasets with MIDAS and ParaViewWeb by Jomier J., Jourdain S., Ayachit U., Marion C.
- "Kitware, Inc. Website".
- "An Open Source Approach to Developing Software in a Small Organization". IEEE Software Magazine. 2007.
- Inc. 5000 List 2008.
- Inc. 5000 List 2009.
- Inc. 5000 List 2010.
- Inc. 5000 List 2011.
- "Medical Imaging Publications".
- Scientific Visualization Publications
- Computer Vision Publications
- [Remote Visualization of Large Datasets with MIDAS and ParaViewWeb Data Management Publications]
- KDE Adopts CMake, Linux Today, 2007
- The Road to KDE 4: CMake, a New Build System for KDE, 2007
- Linux Weekly News, 2006
- "New visualization cluster installed on world’s fastest supercomputer", Los Alamos National Lab, Press Release 2004
- NVidia Press Release 2005
- Kitware Software listed at TeraGrid.org
- "Automated Wrapping of Complex C++ Code", Dr Dobbs Portal, 2003
- "The CMake Build Manager, Cross platform and open source", Dr Dobbs Portal, 2003
- TimesUnion 2004
- An Open Source Approach to Developing Software in a Small Organization, IEEE Software, 2007
- Record of US Federal Contracts
- Sandia National Labs Press Release 2005
- Sandia National Labs, Breakthrough Performance, Press Release 2005
- SINTEF tele-medicine collaboration, Press Release 2006
- Monthly News service European HPCN Community 2001
- IGSTK Publication in IEEE Computer
- Company Profile in Albany Business Review
- Albany Business Review: Press Release of NIH funding for NAMIC 2004
- "Competitiveness depends on Cooperation, Albany Business Review, 2005
- Kitware's Profile, TechValley Times 2005
- Medical Uses of VTK via PV-Wave, University of Alabama at Birmingham press release at Monthly News service European HPCN Community 2001
- Kitware software used for modeling brain blood circulation
- Kitware's VTK Entry at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center data services page
- Kitware's ParaView Entry at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center data services page
- "Building a Visualization Cluster with Rocks", HPC Wire, 2006