Kiyoshi Inoue (井上 清 Inoue Kiyoshi?, December 19, 1913 - November 23, 2001) was a Japanese academic, historian, author and professor emeritus of the Kyoto University. He was considered a specialist in modern Japanese history. He was also known as a "progressive historian" and a "Marxist historian."
In 1954, Inoue joined the faculty of the University of Kyoto as an Associate Professor at the Institute of Humanities. In 1961, he was named a professor. He continued as a member of the Kyoto faculty until his retirement in 1977.
In his later years, Inoue worked to expand the number of academic exchanges between Japan and China, and led a movement seeking solidarity with Asian nations. He also published works on the subject of the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands dispute that sided with the Chinese claim.
Inoue received an honorary degree from the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in 1997.
Inoue had published a book criticizing the Emperor system; and he continued to be critical of the Japanese emperor throughout his life. In a range of topics, his work was often viewed as controversial due to his active protests and lawsuits against the Japanese government. During the Japanese students riots in 1969, Professor Inoue openly supported the students who were demanding the scrapping of the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty.
- 日本女性史 (1948)
- 明治維新 (1951)
- 天皇制 (1953)
- 新版日本の軍国主義 (1953)
- 条約改正: 明治の民族問題 (1955)
- 日本近代史 (1956)
- 日本の歴史 (1963)
- 日本帝国主義の形成 (1968)
- 釣魚列島的歷史和主權問題 Diaoyu Dao - Li Shi Yu Zhu Quan (1972) 
- Senkaku Letto /Diaoyu Islands - The Historical Treaties (1972) 
- Japanese Militarism & Diaoyutai (Senkaku) Island - A Japanese Historian's View. Historical Research, February 1972.
- OCLC, Library of Congress Authority file, Inoue Kiyoshi
- Gordon, Andrew. (1993). Postwar Japan as History, p. 67 n.21., p. 67, at Google Books
- Conrad, Sebastian. (2010). The Quest for the Lost Nation: Writing History in Germany and Japan in the American Century p. 63., p. 63, at Google Books
- "Obituary: Kiyoshi Inoue". The Japan Times.
- Iwanami shoten, Inoue bio notes
- Xinhua, 日本已故历史学家、社会活动家井上清
- LaFeber, Walter. (1999). The Clash: U.S.-Japanese Relations throughout History, p. 418 n.21., p. 418, at Google Books
- deBaets, Antoon. (2002) Censorship of Historical Thought: a World Guide, 1945-2000, p. 314., p. 314, at Google Books
- Japanese Militarism & Diaoyutai (Senkaku) Island.
- WorldCat Identities: 井上清 1913-2001
- Hu Feiyue. Opinion/Op-ed: "Japan's action off Diaoyu raises concern," China Daily (Beijing). September 10, 2010.
- Daisan Publisher (出版社: 第三書館) (1996/10) 「尖閣」列島―釣魚諸島の史的解明 [単行本]. ISBN 978-4-8074-9612-9; also hosted in here for online reading (set to Shift-JIS character code), with English synopsis here. Chinese translation by Ying Hui, Published by Commercial Press Hong Kong (1973) 釣魚列島的歷史和主權問題 / 井上清著 ; 英慧譯, ISBN 962-257-473-4.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China, official spokesman recommending Inoue's 1972 book, Historical Facts of Senkaku Islands/Diaoyu Islands
- GlobalSecurity.org, Senkaku Islands: References, Links, citing Inoue
- International Boundaries Research Unit (IBRU), Boundary related links, citing Inoue
- Inventory of Conflict and Environment (ICE), Diaoyu Islands Dispute, citing Inoue