Kjell Bloch Sandved
|Kjell Bloch Sandved|
|Born||October 20, 1922|
|Occupation||Author, lecturer and nature photographer|
|Employer||National Museum of Natural History for the Smithsonian Institution (retired)|
|Known for||Butterfly Alphabet|
Kjell Bloch Sandved (born October 20, 1922) is a Norwegian born author, lecturer and nature photographer, most known for his Butterfly Alphabet which contains pictures of Butterfly Wings resembling all the 26 letters in the latin alphabet and the arabic numerals 0 to 9.
Work in the USA
About his published works
|“||To find beauty in the world, you have to look closely.||”|
The book A World of Butterflies, with text by Brian Cassie and photographs by Kjell Sandved is described as an
|“||features exquisite full-page pictures of 200 butterflies from around the world, accompanied by text that is authoritative and engaging, including essays on butterfly migration, butterflies and the environment, butterfly gardening, and watching and collecting butterflies.||”|
His book The world of music is described by The Independent's Robert Fisk as "... a weighty heart attack of a book", and his book Leaves: The Formation, Characteristics, and Uses of Hundreds of Leaves Found in All Parts of the World is described by Tibor Fuchs as "Stunning photos and informative text about all kinds of leaves, including many that houseplant lovers have in their homes." In the City Room blog at New York Times written by the staff.
Kjell B. Sandved has published two encyclopedias and co-edited nine books.
- Sandved, Kjell B.; Brian Cassie (Author). A World Of Butterflies. Robert Michael Pyle (Contributor). Bulfinch Press. pp. 432 pages. ISBN 978-0-8212-2893-7.
- Sandved, Kjell B. (March 1996). The Butterfly Alphabet. Scholastic. pp. 64 pages. ISBN 978-0-590-48003-1.
- Prance, Anne E.; Ghillean T. Prance (Author), Kjell Bloch Sandved (Photo). Bark: The Formation, Characteristics and Uses of Bark Around the World. Timber Press, Incorporated. pp. 176 pages. ISBN 978-0-88192-262-2.
- Prance, Ghillean Tolmie (1985). Leaves; The Formation, Characteristics and Uses of Hundreds of Leaves in all Parts of the World. Photos by Kjell B. Sandved. New York: Crown Publishers. pp. 244 pages. ISBN 978-0-517-55152-3.
- Sandved, Kjell B. (1982). Konstlexikon (Art lexikon) (in Swedish). I-II. A-L & M-Ö. Translated to Swedish by Tord Bæckström. Stockholm: Kulturhistoriska förlaget. pp. 2170 pages.
- Sandved, Kjell B.; Michael G. Emsley (Author). Insect Magic. Penguin (Non-Classics). pp. 128 pages. ISBN 978-0-14-005125-4.
- Sandved, Kjell B. (1965). Kjell Bloch Sandved, ed. The world of music, A treasury for listener and reader. Assosiate editors R. H. Hill and K. Claussen (First one-volume Edition ed.). Farrington Street, London, E. C. 4: The Waverley Book Company Ltd. pp. 2239 pages.
- Sandved, Kjell B. (1963). The world of music. Abradale Press. pp. 1516 pages.
- "Extraordinary pictures of the alphabet - spelled out on butterflies' wings". Daily Mail. 2008-01-18. Archived from the original on 2008-05-11.
- "New York Conservationist Magazine 2004". Butterfly Alphabet, Inc. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "Butterfly Alphabet, Inc.". Butterfly Alphabet, Inc. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- Sear, Dexter. "Cultural Entomology - Scaly Type". insects.org. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- "KODAK: Close to Perfection". Eastman Kodak. Retrieved 2008-05-11.
- Uyterhoeven, Sonia. "Lepidopterist’s Delight: Butterflies in Your Garden". abc11.com. Archived from the original on 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- Fisk, Robert (2008-07-05). "Robert Fisk: Thank you, readers, for these gems". The Independent. Archived from the original on 2008-07-05. Retrieved 2008-07-05. "I fumble for my massive, 2,239-page edition of the Norwegian K B Sandved's The World of Music, a weighty heart attack of a book"
- http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/answers-about-growing-indoor-plants-part-2/ "“Leaves: The Formation, Characteristics, and Uses of Hundreds of Leaves Found in All Parts of the World,” by Ghillean T. Prance, Kjell B. Sandved (Random House, 1987) – Stunning photos and informative text about all kinds of leaves, including many that houseplant lovers have in their homes. The book is out of print, but try your local library."
- "Guide to the Kjell Sandved nature photograph collection, 1960s-2008". George Mason University Libraries. Archived from the original on 2009-11-03. Retrieved 2009-11-03. "Sandved has published two encyclopedias: The World of Music and The World of Art. He has also co-authored nine books: Butterfly Magic, Insect Magic, Shells, Butterflies, Rainforest and Cloudforest, Leaves, Bark, Butterfly Alphabet, and Spiders in the Smithsonian."
- Hubley, Jack. "Yes, there is an 'F' in 'sphinx' – The image of a letter on the wing of a Sphinx moth led photographer – Kjell Sandved on a 24-year quest for the winged alphabet.". Lancaster Newspapers. Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Archived from the original on 2008-05-13. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "Sandved, Kjell Bloch (1922–) – On the wing By Kjell Bloch Sandved (Photog.)". Harper's Magazine. October 1989. Archived from the original on 2008-05-13. Retrieved 2008-05-13.