May 26, 1943 |
Finite element method
|Institutions||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Alma mater||University of Cape Town
University of Calgary
University of California, Berkeley
|Doctoral advisor||Edward L. Wilson|
|Known for||Finite element method
Subspace iteration method
Klaus-Jürgen Bathe is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and founder of ADINA R & D, who specializes in computational mechanics. Bathe is considered to be one of the pioneers in the field of finite element analysis and its applications.
Early life and education
Born in Berlin, Bathe had his high school education at Oldenburg in Federal Republic of Germany. He then went to South Africa to earn his graduate degree in Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics from the University of Cape Town in 1967. Bathe received his M.Sc. degree in Civil Engineering from University of Calgary, Canada in 1969. Then, he received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from University of California, Berkeley in 1971. His thesis was on numerical solution of large eigenvalue problems, where he developed the subspace iteration method.
During his time as a post-doctoral fellow (1972–1974) at UC Berkeley, Bathe et al. developed the finite element programs SAP IV and NONSAP, which have been used by thousands of individuals and organizations in research and practice and had a major impact in advancing the finite element method. In 1974 he started the development of the ADINA system. Soon after, he joined the department of mechanical engineering at MIT.
In 1986, he founded ADINA R&D, Inc.
Bathe has made fundamental contributions in the finite element analysis of structures, heat transfer, field problems, CFD, and fluid-structure interactions. Specifically, the following contributions are worth highlighting:
- Development of accurate shell finite elements (the MITC shell elements).
- Formulation of large deformations of solids (notably the Total and Updated Lagrangian formulations).
- Solution techniques for linear and nonlinear dynamic response of structures and fluids.
- Fundamental theoretical contributions.
Honors and awards
Bathe has received many honorary doctorates from institutions around the world: Slovak Academy of Sciences and Technical University of Zilina, Slovakia; Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany; Technical University of Rzeszow, Poland; Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain; University of Bucharest, Romania; University of Miskolc, Hungary; University of Buenos Aires, Argentina; and University of Cape Town, South Africa. 
Bathe currently serves as the Co-Editor of the Journal of Computers & Structures. He is also the editor of the Springer's book series on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics. He has organized the twelve bi-yearly conferences “Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis and ADINA”, at M.I.T., 1977–1999, and since 2001, the bi-yearly M.I.T. Conferences on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics
- K. J. Bathe and E. L. Wilson, Numerical Methods in Finite Element Analysis, Prentice-Hall, 1976.
- K. J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis, Prentice-Hall, 1982.
- K. J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice Hall, 1996.
- D. Chapelle and K. J. Bathe, The Finite Element Analysis of Shells – Fundamentals, Springer, 2003; 2nd edition, Springer, 2011.
- M. Kojic and K. J. Bathe, Inelastic Analysis of Solids and Structures, Springer, 2005.
- K. J. Bathe, To Enrich Life, Amazon.com, 2007.
- M. L. Bucalem, K. J. Bathe, The Mechanics of Solids and Structures – Hierarchical Modeling and the Finite Element Solution, Springer, 2011.
- "K.-J. Bathe at Massachusetts Institute of Technology".
- Anwar Bég, O. (2003). Giants of Engineering Science. Troubador Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1-899293-52-0.
- Klaus-Jürgen Bathe (2008). To Enrich Life. Klaus-Jürgen Bathe. ISBN 0979004926.
- Klaus-Jürgen Bathe (1996). Finite element Procedures. Klaus-Jürgen Bathe. ISBN 978-0979004902.
- "ADINA Finite Element Analysis Software". adina.com.
- J.W. Tedesco and J. Walczak, Preface, Computers & Structures, 81: 455-462, 2003
- "Bridging the world of academia and industry". University of Cape Town News.
- ISI Highly Cited Author - Klaus-Jürgen Bathe
- "K.-J. Bathe Co-Editor of Journal of Computers & Structures". Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "K. J. Bathe Editor of the Springer's book series on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics". Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- "Sixth MIT Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics". Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- MIT course on Finite Element Analysis of Solids and Fluids I
- MIT course on Finite Element Analysis of Solids and Fluids II
- MIT video lectures: Finite Element Procedures for Solids and Structures
- Special issue on K. J. Bathe's 60th birthday anniversary, preface in Computers & Structures
- Founder of ADINA R&D, Inc.