Kluane National Park and Reserve
|Kluane National Park and Reserve|
|Nearest city||Haines Junction|
|Area||22,013 km2 (8,499 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Parks Canada|
Kluane National Park and Reserve are two units of Canada's national park system, located in the extreme southwestern corner of Yukon, Canada. Kluane National Park Reserve was established in 1972, covering 22,013 km2 (8,499 sq mi).
The park includes the highest mountain in Canada, Mount Logan (5,959 m or 19,551 ft) of the Saint Elias Mountains. Mountains and glaciers dominate the park's landscape, covering 82% of its area. It contains close to 105 species of birds, including the rock ptarmigan and the golden and bald eagle.
A day-use area with boat launch, picnic facilities and campground is located at Kathleen Lake, and is operated from mid-May to mid-September. Hiking is a popular activity, on trails such as St. Elias Lake, Mush Lake Road, Shorty Creek, Cottonwood, Rock Glacier, King's Throne, Kokanee, Auriol, Dezadeash River Trail, Alsek Trail, Sheep Creek Trail, Bullion Plateau Trail, Slims West or Soldiers Summit. Rafting on the Alsek River (a Canadian Heritage river), mountain biking on old mining roads, horseback riding through the Alsek Pass, boating on Kathleen Lake and Mush Lake as well as fishing for lake trout, Arctic grayling, rainbow trout, northern pike and sockeye salmon are also among activities available in the park.
World Heritage Site
The bi-national Kluane-Wrangell-St. Elias-Glacier Bay-Tatshenshini-Alsek park system comprising Kluane, Wrangell-St Elias, Glacier Bay and Tatshenshini-Alsek parks, was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979 for the spectacular glacier and icefield landscapes as well as for the importance of grizzly bears, caribou and Dall sheep habitat.
First Nations presence
Kluane National Park lies within the traditional territories of the Champagne and Aishihik First Nations and Kluane First Nation who have a long history of living in this region. Through their respective Final Agreements with the Canadian Government, they have made into law their rights to harvest in this region.
- National Parks of Canada
- List of National Parks of Canada
- List of Yukon parks
- List of World Heritage Sites in the Americas
- Parks Canada (July 2006). "Kluane National Park and Reserve of Canada Activities". Retrieved 2007-04-18.
- Speakers' Spotlight – Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Journeys To The Yukon To Visit Mount Kennedy. Speakers.ca. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Hegel, Troy; Russell, Kyle (2010), Aishihik and Kluane Northern Mountain Caribou Herds Census, 2009 (PDF) (SR-10-02), Yukon Government, retrieved 2014-12-17
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kluane National Park.|
- Parks Canada website for Kluane NP
- World Heritage site
- Kluane — a National Film Board of Canada documentary
- - Kluane a Pbase Gallery
- - Champagne and Aishihik First Nations
- - Kluane First Nation