kNERO performing during the Liberian Independent Celebration in August 2012
|Birth name||Daniel Boimah Kenney Lapaé Edwards II|
May 19, 1981 |
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Jamal Woolard, Amil, Raekwon, Toure Designs|
Daniel Boimah Kenney Lapaé Edwards II (born May 19, 1981), better known by his stage name kNERO Lapaé or simply kNERO (pronounced knee ro), is a Liberian-born hip hop recording artist, record producer, songwriter, model and author.
Personal life and family members
kNERO was born in Monrovia, Liberia and raised in Brooklyn, New York. His father is Gola and his mother is from the K'pelle tribe. He is one of four children of Sara Léla and Rev. D. Boimah Lapaé Edwards, who was the youngest Liberian to managed an American corporation in Liberia, which led them to America. He is now the President of a non-profit called "The Bomi County Association". kNERO was brought up in a predominant political background. Nephew of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Uncle was a judge of the Magistrate Court, a District Commissioner and County Development Coordinator for the Ministry of Internal Affairs, and first cousin Richard B. Devine, former Senator of Liberia. They were fortunate enough to escape the Liberian Civil War by his father's achievements but still suffered by the loss of family and friends.
Music career and performances
kNERO released "Not Drunk Enuff" featuring Norwegian singer Adele Erichsen, a former contestant on The Voice – Norges beste stemme. The single was released under CCAP records. Due to his political ties, he celebrated the Liberian Declaration of Independence by performing his single "A.F.R.I.C.A" at the Liberian Embassy in Washington, D.C. He performed at the Hip Hop of Pioneers event held at the Newark Symphony Hall; the event featured additional performances from MC Lyte, Kool and the Gang, Dana Dane and Slick Rick.
Between 2006 to 2007, he performed at The Fox Theatre in Atlanta for Dr. Malachi Z. York's 11th Annual Nuwaupu Ball; his name was announced alongside Erykah Badu, Jimmy Cliff and Musiq Soulchild. kNERO released his single "My Thang" featuring Jamal "Gravy" Woolard and former Roc-A-Fella artist Amil, which appeared on several urban blog sites.
In 2014, kNERO closed a deal to release his next single "King" under Universal Music Group.
While growing up, kNERO listened to artists such as Tupac Shakur, Jay Z, The Notorious B.I.G, Nas, Phil Collins, Sade Adu, Bob Dylan, Wu-Tang Clan, Rakim, Raekwon, Ghostface Killah, KRS-One, Kool G Rap, Tracy Chapman and Bob Marley.
In 1995, kNERO fell in love with the art of barbering. To avoid street violence and other criminal activities, he learned to master his craft over the years. He then travel from state to state gaining connections in the hair industry, which helped his music career. His limitless experiences including working with celebrities such as Raekwon from the Wu-Tang Clan, Comedian Kyle Grooms, Fashion Designer Toure Designs, Humanitarian/Motivational speaker George Green, Celebrity Hairstylist Keith Campbell, Middleweight Boxer Peter Quillin, and more.
Modeling and clothing
In 2012, kNERO was a model for photos of The Toure Designs' fall season collection. Later that year, he model in The Toure Designs' Target First Saturdays "Carnival Inspired Fashion" themed at the Brooklyn Museum. Continued to walk the runway alongside with actress/singer Demetria Mckinney, modeling for Toure Designs' for the 2015 Mercedes Benz Fashion week presented by ICU Network hosted by SB Stunts.
In 2014, kNERO landed a role on Red Dot. A series about a group of trained killers, which expands into stories of many other individuals that they come into contact with. He first appeared in the Red Dot episode "The Walking Dead", as Fritzoy, a goon of a hit-man leader named Cassius who's out for revenge after finding out his friend Eddie was murdered.
- Homeless With A Record Deal: The Moments Of Luxury (January 2015)
|NO||U.S. Pop||U.S. Rap|
|2011||"Not Drunk Rnuff" (featuring Adele Erichsen)
|2012||"My Thang" (featuring Gravy, Amil )||—||—||—||N/A|
|2013||"The Vent" (featuring Emmaline)||—||—||—||N/A|
|2013||"A Story To Tell Pt 2"||—||—||—||N/A|
|2013||"Aint Like Me"||—||—||—||N/A|
|2013||"On Ur Mind" (featuring Marwan)||—||—||—||N/A|
|2013||"Awaken" (featuring Keynotez)||—||—||—||N/A|
|2014||"King" (featuring Rikroot)
Awards and nominations
Liberian Music Awards
|2014||kNERO||Artist of the Year - USA||Nominated|
|Hip hop Artist of the Year||Nominated|
- "kNERO’s Rap: Liberian-Born Rapper, Performer on Cusps of Mainstream Appeal :: FrontPageAfricaonline.com - All Things Africa 24/7". FrontPageAfricaonline.com. 2012-06-21. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- "kNERO "Liberian Artist kNERO Set To Release A Memoir (Homeless With A Record Deal: The Moments Of Luxury)". Thatsenuff. 2014-10-01. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- "National Bomi Association Concludes Convention in Minnesota". theliberianjournal.com.
- Lana M. "G. Momo Johnson (1957 - 2010)". memory-of.com.
- "TLC Africa". tlcafrica.com.
- http://allafrica.com/stories/200603060844.html AllAfrica.com 6 MARCH 2006 http://allafrica.com/stories/200603060844.html
- http://allafrica.com/stories/201107200947.html allafrica.com http://allafrica.com/stories/201107200947.html
- http://grandgood.com/2006/11/29/pioneers-of-hip-hop-show-in-nj-122-8pm/ Hip Hop of Pioneers http://grandgood.com/2006/11/29/pioneers-of-hip-hop-show-in-nj-122-8pm/
- "kNERO'S PERFORMANCE". YouTube. 23 April 2007.
- "New Music: kNERO ft Gravy X Amil -"My Thang"". Get Wit It Magazine - The Entertainment Site Of The New America.
- "kNERO ft. Rikroot ‘King’ [Audio]". THATSENUFF.COM.
- The Snobette. "Runway: Butch Diva At Brooklyn Museum". The Snobette.
- "kNERO". hot97.com.
- "Red Dot: Episode 2 - "The Walking Dead" Director By Nimi Hendrix". Get Wit It Magazine - The Entertainment Site Of The New America.
- Webmaster. "FrontPageAfrica - Celebrity Barber Knero Lapaé Pens Homeless With A Record Deal". frontpageafricaonline.com.
- My Thang http://getwititmagazine.com/2012/12/24/new-music-knero-ft-gravy_ny-x-amil-my-thang/
- "Hot97 Dj Drewski & Get Wit It Magazine.com Presents kNERO ft Emmaline - The Vent (Prod by. kNERO) - Track Inside - Hip Hop News, Celebrity News and Entertainment News". Hiphopnews24-7.com. 2013-04-04. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "kNERO – A Story To Tell [Audio". Thatsenuff.Com. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "kNERO ‘Ain’t Like Me’ Artwork". Thatsenuff.Com. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "KNERO Feat. Marwan 'On Ur Mind' (Prod by kNERO) - Track Inside - Hip Hop News, Celebrity News and Entertainment News". Hiphopnews24-7.com. 2013-05-04. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- "kNERO - The Wire (Prod by kNERO) Presented by Hot 97 Dj Drewski and Get Wit It Magazine.com - Track Inside - Hip Hop News, Celebrity News and Entertainment News". Hiphopnews24-7.com. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2014-03-21.
- Awaken http://hiphopnews24-7.com/profiles/blogs/knero-feat-keynotez-awaken-prod-by-kurt-stock-track-inside
- Allhiphop.com http://allhiphop.com/2014/04/17/knero-ft-rikroot-king/
- "Front Page Africa Online.". Liberian Music Awards. March 21, 2014. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- "Liberia Music Awards Foundation Announces the nominees for the 2014 Liberia Music Awards". Get Wit It Magazine. March 26, 2014. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Knero.|