Knock, County Mayo
|Elevation||78 m (256 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||M396818|
Knock (Irish: An Cnoc, meaning The Hill – but now more generally known in Irish as Cnoc Mhuire, "Hill of (the Virgin) Mary") is a village in County Mayo, Ireland. Its notability is derived from the Knock Shrine, at which the Virgin Mary, together with Saint Joseph and John the Evangelist, supposedly appeared on 21 August 1879. In the 20th century Knock became one of Europe's major Catholic Marian shrines, alongside Lourdes and Fatima. One and a half million pilgrims visit Knock Shrine annually. Pope John Paul II, a supporter of devotion to the Virgin Mary, visited Knock in 1979 to commemorate the centenary of the apparition.
Monsignor James Horan
- Construction of a new basilica, Our Lady, Queen of Ireland, at Knock Shrine in 1967 that can accommodate 10,000.
- The construction of Ireland-West Airport
- A visit by Pope John Paul II to visit Knock in 1979 to commemorate the centenary of the apparition.
Monsignor Horan died on 1 August 1986.
The local primary school is Knock National School, built in 1966.
The local football club is Kiltimagh Knock United F.C. established in 2002. Their ground, CMS Park, is situated on the Knock/Kiltimagh Road.
Ireland West Airport Knock was opened by Monsigner James Horan on 30 May 1986.
- Peter H. Görg, Das Wunder von Knock - Die Erscheinung der Jungfrau Maria in Irland in Zeiten sozialer Not, Illertissen 2010.
- Tom Neary, I Saw Our Lady, Knock, 156 p.
- John Scally, I Was Cured at Knock - The extraordinary story of an extraordinary woman, Knock 2005, 127 p.
- Ethna Kennedy (Ed.), Judy Coyne Providence My Guide. The heroic force in the Knock Shrine story, Knock, 254 p.
- The Custodians of Knock Shrine (Ed.), Knock – Heiligtum Unserer Lieben Frau. Leitfaden für Wallfahrer, Knock.
- Fr. Berchmans Walsh OCSO., Knock Mary's International Shrine of the Lamb of God, Knock, 16 p.
- Sean Egan & Tom Neary (Ed.), Knock Parish Church - 1828-2006, Knock 2006, 24 p.
- Knock Shrine Society (Ed.), Knock Shrine Annual, Knock 1938ff.
- The Custodians of Knock Shrine (Ed.), Knock Shrine. A Pilgrim’s Guide Book, Englisch, Französisch, Deutsch, Spanisch, Italienisch, Knock, 26 p.
- Fr. Hubert OFMCap., Knock - Vision of Hope, Knock, 36 p.
- Tom Lane CM, Reflecting at Knock Before our Merciful Lamb, Knock, 127 p.
- Msgr. Michael Walsh, The Apparition at Knock - A Critical Analysis of Facts and Evidence, Knock 1955 u. ö.
- N. N., Knock - The Apparition Gable, Knock.
- Msgr. Michael Walsh, The Glory of Knock, Knock 2000, 51 p.
- Donal Flanagan (Hrsg.), The Meaning of Knock, Knock 1997.
- Mary Francis Clare Cusack, Three Visits to Knock, New York 1882.
- Liam Ua Cadhain, Venerable Archdeacon Cavanagh, Knock, 135 p.
- Siobhan Bean Ui Cadhain, Vision In Marble, Knock, 16 p.