Knock Knock (company)
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2013)|
|Industry||Gifts, Books, Publishing|
|Headquarters||Venice, CA, USA|
Encouraged by her friends’ reception to her witty January Card (a holiday card for procrastinators) and flow-chart poster How to Find True Love (sent out for Valentine’s Day because she missed the holidays entirely), Bilik, previously a book editor, launched Knock Knock in 2002 with the proceeds from the sale of her Manhattan apartment. Knock Knock’s initial product launch consisted of 13 items, including the January Card and the How to Find True Love poster. The debut launch also included the Personal Library Kit, a bestselling product that remains in Knock Knock’s live offerings. As of 2015, Knock Knock employs over 30 people and creates nearly 300 products annually, including its bestselling All Out Of grocery checklist pads, the What I Love About You journal, the I’m Doing My Best Inner-Truth Journal, and slang flashcards.
Knock Knock’s products and books are known for their irreverence, whimsy, and wit, and according to the New York Times, balance “novelty with utility.” According to the Wall Street Journal, “A key to Knock Knock’s success is that there are real uses for the products.” Knock Knock states on its website that it “seeks to integrate art and commerce—creating original, authentic, noncynical products that support themselves in the marketplace.”
Among its hundreds of paper products, Knock Knock’s all-time bestseller is the All Out Of grocery list pad, which has sold over a million units worldwide.
In 2007, Knock Knock began publishing humorous nonfiction. Among its 29 current titles, the bestselling Lines for All Occasions series has sold more than a million copies worldwide.
In 2014, Knock Knock teamed up with San Francisco–based artist Tucker Nichols and design firm MacFadden & Thorpe to create Plumb, a new line of journals concepted and designed by contemporary artists including Nichols, Sumi Ink Club, Katherine Bradford, Nathaniel Russell, Linda Geary, Jason Pollan, Matt Furie, Ed Panar, and Liz Markus.
Awards and Recognition
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2012)|
Knock Knock’s products have won numerous design competitions and awards from organizations including:
- Communication Arts
- 365: AIGA Year in Design
- California Design Biennial (Pasadena Museum of California Art)
- Graphic Design USA
- The Stationery Trends Awards (The Trendys)
- International Greeting Card Awards (The Louies)
- "Best of Los Angeles" in Los Angeles Magazine
Plumb Products have been featured in The New York Times and its products have won design competitions and awards from organizations including:
Knock Knock, its founder Jen Bilik, and its products have been featured on television shows and in numerous print publications and websites. Knock Knock products have also been used as set dressing in television shows (30 Rock), Nashville, The Big Bang Theory) and in feature films (Bridesmaids).
Partial List of Press
- Good Morning America
- The Today Show
- The Wall Street Journal
- The New York Times
- The Chicago Tribune
- The Los Angeles Times
- Touch This: Graphic Design that Feels Good by Scott Witham
- Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
- Budget Travel Magazine
- Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine
- E! News
- Family Circle Magazine
- Food Network Magazine
- New York Magazine
- O: The Oprah Magazine
- Parade Magazine
- Parent and Child Magazine
- People Magazine
- Real Simple Magazine
- Redbook Magazine
- Southern Living Magazine
- Star Magazine
- Time Magazine
- US Weekly Magazine
- Wine Enthusiast
- Wired Magazine
- Welch, Liz (October 2011). "The Way I Work". Inc.
- Wallace, Amy (20 March 2010). "The Wit That Breeds Wisdom". The New York Times.
- Schwartz, Nomi (25 October 2007). "Knock Knock -- Who's There: A New Book Sense Publisher Partner". Bookselling This Week. American Booksellers Association.
- Staff (15 June 2004). "Procrastination Is Start-Up's Key To Success". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Philosophy". Knock Knock.
- "All Out Of: 1,000,000 Sold! HEAD HONCHO HELLO for September 2014". Knock Knock Blog.
- Kurutz, Steven. "Open Cover; Insert Brilliance". NyTimes.com. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Regional Design Annual 2014: Far West". Printmag.com. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Press". Knock Knock.
- "The Award for Best Picture Goes To . . .". Knock Knock Blog.