Knowsley (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Knowsley in Merseyside.
Location of Merseyside within England.
|Electorate||79,334 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||George Howarth (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Knowsley South,
Knowsley North and Sefton East
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
Created for the 2010 general election (during the Boundary Commission for England's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies), the area returned the second highest share of the vote seen by a candidate for the Labour Party, of 70.9%, behind the 72.0% achieved in Liverpool Walton.
The new constituency covers a large part of the metropolitan borough, main settlements being Huyton and Kirkby. It replaced most of the previous Knowsley South constituency, as well as the parts of Knowsley North and Sefton East in the Knowsley borough. Distant parts from the centre of the metropolitan borough are covered by the new St Helens South and Whiston and Garston and Halewood constituencies.
The seat has electoral wards:
- Cherryfield Kirkby Central; Longview; Northwood; Page Moss; Park; Prescot West; Roby; St Bartholomews; St Gabriels; St Michaels; Shevington; Stockbridge; Swanside; Whitefield in the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley
The constituency mainly consists of low-income social housing and ex-social housing built to decant the residents displaced by post-war slum clearance in Liverpool. It includes Huyton to the south (once represented by Harold Wilson) and Kirkby to the north. Between them is the green space of Knowsley Hall and Park, the ancestral home of the Earls of Derby and the site of Knowsley Safari Park. In 2010, The Guardian summarized the area as "One of the most deprived areas in the country. The new parliamentary constituency folds in Knowsley North and Knowsley South."
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Knowsley|
|Liberal Democrat||Carl Cashman||1,490||2.9||-10.4|
|General Election 2010: Knowsley|
|Liberal Democrat||Flo Clucas||5,964||13.35||-0.4|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Knowsley Boundary Commission for England
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jan/22/new-parliamentary-constituencies-westminster-election The Guardian (22 January 2010); "Altered Constituencies Data"
- "Knowsley". guardian.co.uk.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Knowsley". BBC News. Retrieved 10 May 2015.