Knox County, Nebraska
|Knox County, Nebraska|
Knox County Courthouse in Center
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Henry Knox|
|• Total||1,140 sq mi (2,953 km2)|
|• Land||1,108 sq mi (2,870 km2)|
|• Water||32 sq mi (83 km2), 2.77%|
|• Density||8/sq mi (3/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
In the Nebraska license plate system, Knox County is represented by the prefix 12 (it had the twelfth-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- Nebraska Highway 12
- Nebraska Highway 13
- Nebraska Highway 14
- Nebraska Highway 59
- Nebraska Highway 84
- Nebraska Highway 121
- Bon Homme County, South Dakota - north
- Yankton County, South Dakota - northeast
- Cedar County, Nebraska - east
- Pierce County, Nebraska - southeast
- Antelope County, Nebraska - south
- Holt County, Nebraska - west
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota - northwest
- Boyd County, Nebraska - northwest
||Charles Mix County, South Dakota and Boyd County||Bon Homme County, South Dakota||Yankton County, South Dakota|
|Holt County||Cedar County|
|Antelope County||Pierce County|
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,374 people, 3,811 households, and 2,595 families residing in the county. The population density was 8 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 4,773 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.63% White, 0.09% Black or African American, 7.12% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 0.63% from two or more races. 0.91% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,811 households out of which 29.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.00% were married couples living together, 6.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.90% were non-families. 29.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.50% under the age of 18, 5.50% from 18 to 24, 21.90% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 23.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 96.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,564, and the median income for a family was $34,073. Males had a median income of $23,373 versus $18,319 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,971. About 12.50% of families and 15.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.40% of those under age 18 and 13.50% of those age 65 or over.
- North Frankfort
- Walnut Grove
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
-  Retrieved on March 15, 2008.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.