Knox Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Knox Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Jefferson County
|• Total||29.7 sq mi (76.8 km2)|
|• Land||29.4 sq mi (76.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||955 ft (291 m)|
|• Density||170.7/sq mi (65.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086379|
Knox Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,011 people in the township, 2,179 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Saline Township - north
- Island Creek Township - south
- Salem Township - southwest corner
- Ross Township - west
Hancock County, West Virginia lies across the Ohio River to the east.
Three incorporated municipalities are located along the Ohio River in eastern Knox Township:
- Part of the village of Stratton, upstream
- The village of Empire, in the middle
- Part of the city of Toronto, downstream
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.