|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
Knut (Norwegian and Swedish), Knud (Danish), or Knútur (Icelandic) is a Scandinavian first name, of which the anglicised form is Cnut or Canute. In Germany both "Knut" and "Knud" are used. In Spanish and Portuguese Canuto is used which comes from the Latin version Canutus. The name is derived from the Old Norse Knútr meaning "knot".
It is the name of several medieval kings of Denmark, two of whom also reigned over England during the first half of the 11th century.
- Harthaknut I of Denmark (Knut I, Danish: Hardeknud) (b. c. 890), king of Denmark
- Knut the Great (Knut II, Danish: Knud den Store or Knud II) (d. 1035), Viking king of England, Denmark and Norway
- Harthaknut (knut III, Danish: Hardeknud or Knud III) (d. 1042), king of Denmark and England
- Saint Knud IV of Denmark (Danish: Knud IV), king of Denmark (r. 1080–1086) and martyr
- Knud Lavard (d. 1131), Danish prince and saint
- Knud V of Denmark (Danish: Knud V), king of Denmark (r. 1146–1157)
- Knud I of Sweden (Swedish: Knut Eriksson) (r. 1173–1195)
- Knud VI of Denmark (Danish: Knud VI), king of Denmark (r. 1182–1202)
- Knud II of Sweden (Swedish: Knut Långe) (r. 1229–1234)
- Knute Rockne (1888–1931) was an American football player and coach
- Knud Rasmussen (1879–1933) was a Greenlandic polar explorer and anthropologist
- Knut Hamsun (1859–1952) was a leading Norwegian author
- Knud, Hereditary Prince of Denmark (1900–1976), younger son of King Christian X
- Knut Schmidt-Nielsen (1915–2007) was a Norwegian-born American biologist
- Knut Haugland (1917–2009) was a resistance fighter and noted explorer from Norway
- Knut Frydenlund (1927–1987), was a Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Knut Vollebæk (born 1946), is a former Norwegian Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Knut Knudsen (born 1950) is a former cyclist, Olympic and World Champion
- Knut Storberget (born 1964), is a Norwegian politician and former Minister of Justice
- Knut Reinhardt (born 1968) is a former German footballer.
- Knut Arild Hareide (born 1972), is the leader of Norway's Christian Democratic Party, and a former Minister of the Environment
- Knut Schreiner (born 1974), is a Norwegian guitarist for Turbonegro, Euroboys, Mirror Lakes, and a producer of music.
- Knut (polar bear) (2006–2011), a polar bear at the Berlin Zoo who attracted worldwide attention.
- Adonis Cnut, Rik Mayall's character in short-lived but popular sitcom Believe Nothing.
- Knut (band) is a Swiss mathcore band.
- The Knut is a unit of currency in the fictitious Harry Potter universe.
- Knut (sensor) is an Internet of Things battery powered sensor platform by Amperic Inc.