KWV South Africa (Pty) LTD
Official corporate logo for KWV Pty LTD South Africa
|Public limited company|
|Industry||Wine, Spirits & Beverage|
|Founded||8 January 1918|
|Founder||Dr. Charles Kohler|
|Headquarters||Paarl, South Africa|
|Andre Van Der Veen - CEO|
KWV South Africa (Pty) LTD is one of the leading wine and spirits producers in South Africa and has a distinguished heritage, celebrated around the globe, of product innovation and exceptional brands. These include Roodeberg, KWV Wines & KWV Brandies, and Laborie. 
KWV is one of the leading wine and spirits producers in South Africa  - it was founded as a winemaking co-operative on 8 January 1918 by wine makers from the Western Cape in South Africa, with Dr. Charles Kohler as its chairperson. The name “Koöperatieve Wijnbouwers Vereniging van Suid-Afrika” is Afrikaans for "Co-operative Winemakers' Society of South Africa", but today KWV represents a well-known global wine and spirits brand producing a large portfolio of products.
The purpose of KWV from its inception was to create unity amongst the wine farmers of South Africa and to ensure continuous improvement in the quality of South African wines and brandies. From the early 1920s, the co-operative was granted increasing legislative control over the production, sale and export of South Africa’s distilling wine and spirits, which allowed the body to experiment with innovations in the industry which aided its development. The organisation also invested a great deal in the promotion of South African wine and brandy both locally and abroad. KWV’s legal hand over the industry was lifted with the end of Apartheid in 1990 and subsequent change in government, and in 1997 converted from a co-operative to a company structure.
In 2004, KWV negotiated the South African wine industry’s largest BBBEE deal with Phetogo (Pty) Ltd, attaining 25,1% shares. For the first time, KWV products entered the local market with its branded wines and brandies, having previously only been available to international consumers. Today, KWV forms a subsidiary of Niveus Investments, part of the HCI black empowerment investment group, and is the only South African producer listed on Drinks International’s Most Admired Wine Brands Global register.
The KWV Headquarters and main production complex are situated in the Cape Winelands in Paarl.
- "KWV Corporate site". KWV Pty LTD South Africa. Retrieved 12 March 2015.
- Van Zyl, D (1999). They Shaped our Century: The Most Influential South Africans of the Twentieth Century. South Africa: Human and Rousseau. pp. 399–403.
- Van Zyl, D.J. (1993). KWV: 1918-1993. South Africa: Human and Rousseau. p. 17.
- "About Us". www.kwv.co.za. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Van Zyl, D.J. (1993). KWV: 1918-1993. South Africa: Human and Rousseau. p. 26.
- "History". www.kwv.co.za. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "World's Most Admired Wine Brands" (PDF). http://www.drinksint.com/. Drinks International. Retrieved 10 December 2013.