Church in Kończyce Małe
|• Mayor||Janina Węglorz|
|Area||11.94 km2 (4.61 sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Kończyce Małe (help·info) is a village in Gmina Zebrzydowice, Cieszyn County, Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland, near the border with the Czech Republic. It has a population of about 3,300 (2008). It lies in the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia, on the Piotrówka River.
The village was first mentioned in a Latin document of Diocese of Wrocław called Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis from around 1305 as item in Cunczindorf principis debent esse XL mansi. It meant that the village was supposed to pay tithe from 40 greater lans, and also that it was a ducal village as opposed to the sister settlement of Cunczindorf Pasconis mentioned in the same document, which was a private village. The dorf (German for a village) ending of its name indicates that the primordial settlers were of German origins. The creation of the village was a part of a larger settlement campaign taking place in late 13th century on the territory of what will be later known as Upper Silesia.
Politically the village belonged initially to the Duchy of Teschen, formed in 1290 in the process of feudal fragmentation of Poland and was ruled by a local branch of Piast dynasty. In 1327 the duchy became a fee of Kingdom of Bohemia, which after 1526 became part of the Habsburg Monarchy.
There is a château built in the 15th century in the village, lying on the shore of a pond. There are several ponds in the village.
- Panic, Idzi (2010). Śląsk Cieszyński w średniowieczu (do 1528) [Cieszyn Silesia in Middle Ages (until 1528)] (in Polish). Cieszyn: Starostwo Powiatowe w Cieszynie. p. 297-299. ISBN 978-83-926929-3-5.
- Schulte, Wilhelm (1889). Codex Diplomaticus Silesiae T.14 Liber Fundationis Episcopatus Vratislaviensis (in German). Breslau.
- "Liber fundationis episcopatus Vratislaviensis" (in Latin). Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Helena and Ludwik Bartoszek (2005). Wypisy z dziejów Zebrzydowic, Kaczyc, Kończyc Małych i Marklowic Górnych. 1305-2005. Zebrzydowice: Gminny Ośrodek Kultury w Zebrzydowicach. ISBN 83-908896-3-3.
- (Polish) Description of the château
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kończyce Małe.|
|This Cieszyn County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|