Kobra and the Lotus
|Kobra and the Lotus|
|Also known as||KATL|
|Origin||Calgary, Alberta, Canada|
|Labels||Titan Music and Entertainment, Universal Music/Simmons Records, Spinefarm Records|
Bones Elias (guest drummer)
Jake Dreyer (guest guitars)
In 2009, Kobra and the Lotus was formed by classical singer Kobra Paige with guitarists Matt Van Wezel and Chris Swenson. The trio started recording their first songs in Calgary, initially produced by transplanted Toronto musician Greg Godovitz (Goddo). The trio added drummer Griffin Kissack midway through recording their independent release Out of the Pit. Kobra and the Lotus put the initial studio tracks on MySpace in summer 2009 and were approached by Metal Hammer to include Kobra Paige in the 2010 Metal Hammer Maidens of Metal Calendar with Simone Simons, Epica and Cristina Scabbia, Lacuna Coil.
Out of the Pit
The band recorded the first album Out of the Pit in Calgary in early 2009. During the mixing of the album at Metalworks Studios in Toronto, Greg invited long time friend Rik Emmett to record a guitar solo to the only cover song on the album, a remake of Motörhead anthem Ace of Spades. After playing their first 2009 Canadian tour, Paige's vocal style had changed significantly and the band approached Kevin Shirley to rerecord the vocals and remix the album. The remix was so different that many industry writers thought the band had brought in a new lead singer. Producer Nick Blagona (Deep Purple) rerecorded the vocals and remixed the last track of the album "Legend". Kobra and the Lotus independently released their debut album Out of the Pit in March 2010. The album was a popular release on campus radio charts across Canada and several US internet Metal radio stations.
An extensive 2010 Canadian tour had a profound effect on the vocals of lead singer Paige. The vocal evolution is very distinct between the videos "Cynical Wasteland" from the first album and "Welcome to my Funeral" from the first album under the Simmons/Universal label.
Discovery by Gene Simmons
The band's manager Susan Bullen had been in touch with several labels regarding the second album and reached out to Mark Spicoluk at Universal Music Group and played some preliminary tracks from the new album. Mark thought Simmons Records would be interested and later that week Gene Simmons phoned the band's manager directly with a strong case for Simmons/Universal to sign Kobra and the Lotus. After signing, Gene Simmons encouraged the band to write four new tracks and go back into the studio January and February 2012 with super producer and fellow Canadian Kevin Churko to record the new tracks and remix and remaster the entire album. The songs 50 Shades of Evil and Forever One were two of the new tracks written.
Self titled release Kobra and the Lotus
The band recorded their second self-titled album Kobra and the Lotus February to April 2011, with producer Julius Butty then headed to Europe for a UK summer tour. After signing to Universal Music Group, the band signed up with producerKevin Churko to record four more tracks, and to have Kevin executive produce, remix and remaster the entire album. The self-titled album was globally released in August 2012 in the UK and Europe by Spinefarm Records and in 138 other countries by Universal Music Group affiliates. It was then released in the USA and Canada in April 2013 with Universal Music Enterprises UMe and T-Boy Records. The album rated as 7/8 POWERPOINTS by PowerPlay (music magazine) in issue #145, rated as KKKK by Kerrang, and 8/10 by Metal Hammer.
The band recorded 14 new tracks for their new album High Priestess  with super producer Johnny K, a Grammy Award nominated producer/engineer/mixer/musician and songwriter at Groovemaster Recording Studios in Chicago. High Priestess entered the CMJ Loud Rock Radio charts in the USA at #4, it was released globally on June 24, 2014. to strong reviews and is widely regarded as their best album to date.
Kobra and the Lotus have toured and opened for KISS, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Black Label Society, Max Cavalera, Slash, Steel Panther, Buckcherry, Amaranthe, Fear Factory, Primal Fear, Stratovarius, Praying Mantis, Demon Hunter, Amanda Somerville, Hate Eternal and Sonata Arctica. Kobra and the Lotus have played Sonisphere Festival, Download Festival, Rock am Ring and Rock im Park, Hard Rock Hell, Nova Rock Festival, Metaltown Festival, Hellfest, Graspop Metal Meeting, Gods of Metal, Wacken Open Air, Bloodstock Open Air and Metal Female Voices Fest. Kobra Paige occasionally tours with the Metal All-Stars super-group. With a classical sound Paige's vocals rival that of other female singers well worth seeing in the future
- Kobra Paige – vocals, piano (2009–present)
- Jasio Kulakowski - lead/rhythm guitar (2012–present)
- Brad Kennedy - bass guitar (2013–present)
- Bones Elias - guest drums
- Jake Dreyer - guest guitars
- Alexander Carlegård - touring guitar (2013)
- Lord Griffin Kissack – drums (2009–2014)
- Charlie Parra del Riego – special guest lead/rhythm guitar (2012–2013)
- Pete Z Dimov - bass guitar (2011 - 2013)
- Timothy Vega - lead/rhythm guitar (2011-2012)
- Chris Swenson – rhythm guitar, (2009–2012)
- Bryan Buss - Lead Guitar (2010-2011)
- Patrick Lawty - Bass (2010-2011)
- Ben Freud – Bass (2009–2010)
- Matt Van Wezel – lead guitar (2009–2010)
- Out of the Pit (Kobra Music, 2010)
- Kobra and the Lotus (Spinefarm Records, Universal Music Group, 2012)
- High Priestess (Titan Music, 2014)
- "Here Comes Silverbells!!" (Kobra Music Inc., 2009)
|Title||From the album|
|"Ace Of Spades"||Out of the Pit|
|"Ride Like Sugar"|
|"Welcome To My Funeral"||Kobra and the Lotus|
|"50 Shades Of Evil"|
Awards and nominations
- "Visionary", Kobra and the Lotus third album listed as #5 Best Album, 2014 Mid Year Recap by Metal Assault 
- Kobra and the Lotus named as #3 Best Emerging Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Artists Of 2013 
- KOBRA AND THE LOTUS VOCALIST KOBRA PAIGE
- Kobra and the Lotus - High Priestess Review
- CONFIRMED AS SUPPORT FOR KISS/DEF LEPPARD ON KISS’ 40TH ANNIVERSARY US TOUR
- KOBRA AND THE LOTUS High Priestess
- "North America Is Biased Against Female Fronted Metal Bands". Metalhammer.co.uk. August 27, 2010. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Interview with Brittany Paige". Festivalphoto.net. September 27, 2010. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- March 28, 2013 (2013-03-28). "Kobra And The Lotus' Self Titled Album To Receive U.S. Release In April". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS – Shedding Skin". Carlbegai.com. July 9, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Brittany Paige: Behind the Scenes". Metalhammer.co.uk. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Kobra And The Lotus – Out Of The Pit (Song by Song)". Metalstorm.net. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Calgary's Kobra in Session at Metalworks studios". Metalworksinstitute.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Carl Begai Kobra and the Lotus Interview". Carlbegai.com. March 30, 2010. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- bravewords.com. "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS – How To Build An Iron Maiden". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Earshot "Out of the Pit" review and update". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CD Review "Beauty and the Beast"". Getreadytorock.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CFBX 92.5 Charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CKXU charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "CJSR 88.5 Charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "New Kobra and the Lotus video Snake Pit on Hard Rock Hideout". Hardrockhideout.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Guest Brittany Paige from Kobra and the Lotus show No. 174". Maximumthreshold.net. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- KRRN Artist Showcase Special:Kobra and the Lotus[dead link]
- "Kobra and the Lotus Performance Footage of New Song Warhorse". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- bravewords.com. "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Vocalist Brittany Paige – "I Am Who I Am And This Is My Voice – If It’s Not Bad-Ass Enough For Some People, That’s Just Too Bad"". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "TOP 25 WOMEN IN HARD ROCK AND METAL".
- "100% Gene Simmons approved".
- "Here is Simmons/Universal recording artist Kobra Paige".
- bravewords.com. "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS Kick Off UK Tour from Ibiza's Hard Rock Hell Festival". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- http://powerplaymagazine.co.uk/. "Kobra and the Lotus".
- "Kobra and the Lotus, High Priestess – Album Review".
- "Kobra and the Lotus - Release new album 'High Priestess' !!!".
- "Kobra and the Lotus – High Priestess".
- "Kobra and the Lotus' Kobra Paige Calls Touring with KISS and Def Leppard "Insane!"".
- "Kobra And The Lotus Album Release/Lyric Video".
- bravewords.com. "KOBRA AND THE LOTUS To Support PRIMAL FEAR In Toronto". Bravewords.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Interview with Kobra and the Lotus". Metalstorm.net. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- http://loudwire.com/zakk-wylde-james-labrie-david-ellefson-more-2014-metal-all-stars-tour/. Missing or empty
- "Out of the Pit - Kobra and the Lotus | Releases". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Kobra and the Lotus - Kobra and the Lotus | Releases". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "High Priestess - Kobra and the Lotus | Releases". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "2014 Mid-Year Recap: Best Albums".
- "Best Emerging Hard Rock & Heavy Metal Artists Of 2013".
- "Metalholic’s Top 25 Women in Hard Rock and Metal for 2013".
- Category: What's On (2014-05-31). "KISS/Def Leppard at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater (Irvine, CA)". Oye Times. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Metal Hammer Golden Gods Best New Band 2012".
- The MusicRadar Team (2012-03-16). "Vote now for the Metal Hammer Golden Gods 2012 | Golden Gods 2012 | Guitar News". MusicRadar. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "The Metal Hammer Golden Gods 2012 – Chris Jericho To Host « Future PLC". Futureplc.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Kobra and the Lotus Official Site