With Birmingham City in 2013 pre-season
|Full name||Koby Owusu Arthur|
|Date of birth||31 January 1996|
|Place of birth||Kumasi, Ghana|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
(on loan from Birmingham City)
|2014||→ Lincoln City (loan)||6||(0)|
|2014–||→ Cheltenham Town (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:00, 25 July 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Koby Owusu Arthur (born 31 January 1996) is a Ghanaian footballer who plays for Cheltenham Town on loan from Birmingham City. A midfielder who can also play as a forward, he made his Football League debut in April 2013. He has also spent time on loan at Conference Premier club Lincoln City.
Early life and career
Arthur was born in Kumasi, Ghana. After moving to England he joined the youth system of Southern League club Woodford United, where he was noticed by a Birmingham City scout in 2012. The 16-year-old Arthur moved into the football and education development programme run by Birmingham City's community department, and was soon recruited into the club's main development system. He played for the club's under-18 team, and made his reserve team debut in February 2013 in a 2–1 Birmingham Senior Cup defeat to Stourbridge. Development squad coach Richard Beale described his performance as excellent: "He won his headers and tackles and he got the ball down and tried to pass it and he can be very pleased with the way he played." A few days later, he produced another good performance on his first Professional Development League appearance.
Arthur is short in stature, at 5 ft 6 in (1.68 m), but solidly built. Manager Lee Clark described him as a "pocket battleship", who plays at a high tempo with "so much energy and enthusiasm". According to his profile on the Birmingham City website, he is "a powerful striker of the ball", able to play in any midfield position or as a forward.
Arthur was given squad number 16 ahead of the visit of Sheffield Wednesday on 19 February, but did not make the 18-man matchday squad, and was included in the travelling party for the next match, away at Peterborough United. Amid tabloid reports of interest from Premier League clubs, Arthur signed a two-year professional contract with Birmingham. He made his first-team debut on 1 April in a 3–2 defeat at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Championship, coming on as a 78th-minute substitute for Mitch Hancox. According to the Birmingham Mail's match report, "he was nimble, showed the odd glimpse". He made his second and last appearance of the season, also as a late substitute, in Birmingham's next match. At the end-of-season awards ceremony, Arthur was honoured as Academy Player of the Season.
He made his first competitive start on 6 August 2013, as Birmingham beat Plymouth Argyle 3–2 after extra time in the first round of the League Cup, and his first league appearance of the season a few days later, as a second-half substitute in a home defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion.
On 21 March 2014, Arthur became the third Birmingham youngster, after Charlee Adams and Nick Townsend, to join Conference Premier club Lincoln City on a youth loan until the end of the season. He went straight into the starting eleven for the following day's match at Gateshead, but was replaced at half-time with his side two goals behind.
- As of 25 July 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Birmingham City total||3||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||4||0|
|Lincoln City (loan)||2013–14||Conference Premier||6||0||—||—||—||6||0|
|Cheltenham Town (loan)||2014–15||League Two||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
- Academy Player of the Season: 2012–13
- "Professional retain lists & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. May 2013. p. 4. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Player profile: Koby Arthur". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Tattum, Colin (23 February 2013). "Birmingham City boss Lee Clark says Koby Arthur is like a 'pocket battleship'". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Walker, Andy (19 February 2013). "Squad number for Koby". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Reds see youth policy successes". Daventry Express. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Tattum, Colin (23 March 2013). "Blues hoping to get Koby Arthur signing on dotted line". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Tattum, Colin (22 February 2013). "Lowdown on new Blues prospect Koby Arthur". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Lewis, Peter (7 February 2013). "A bridge too far for the kids". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Leicester U21s 2 Blues U21s 1". Birmingham City F.C. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Lewis, Darren (25 March 2013). "Boy wonder: Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City eye Birmingham starlet Koby 'King' Arthur". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Walker, Andy (1 April 2013). "Pro deal for Koby". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Tattum, Colin (2 April 2013). "Birmingham City 2 Wolves 3". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Games played by Koby Arthur in 2012/2013". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- Tattum, Colin (5 May 2013). "Curtis Davies named Birmingham City Player of the Season". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "Match report: Birmingham 3–2 Plymouth". Birmingham City F.C. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Games played by Koby Arthur in 2013/2014". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- "Blues' Teenager Joins On Youth Loan". Lincoln City F.C. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
"Koby Arthur joins the Imps". Birmingham City F.C. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Pakey, John (22 March 2014). "Gateshead 3 Lincoln City 1: Match report". Lincolnshire Echo. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Koby Arthur arrives on loan". Cheltenham Town F.C. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Games played by Koby Arthur in 2014/2015". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 25 July 2014.